PDA

View Full Version : Counter Top Question -- Granite sealant or Silestone Microban

kimbe
12-22-2006, 06:13 PM
We are going to get new counter tops in our kitchen and here is our dilema.

Granite sealant. Is this something that you have to worry about coming in contact with your food? It seems to me that putting chemicals 1-2x a year on a surface that you use with food, doesn't sound right. (When you do seal them, are there fumes, etc. to deal with?)

Silestone has Microban in it. (Well, at least the all of the ones that we've seen have it.) I am not a big fan of antibacterial stuff and we try to avoid it here at home. I've tried to find out info about it when it is in counter tops, but I can't find what I am looking for. Like does it seep out, will it degrade etc. Do I want it in my counter tops, depends...

Which is worse, Microban or a sealant.

Or should we keep our crappy countertops -- LOL!

Any advice is appreciated!!!

TIA

crl
12-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi,

Sorry I can't answer your questions. The people on the forums at www.gardenweb.com might be able to help more. Also, there are granites that do not require any sealant at all. We had blue pearl for over 2 years with no sealer at all--none is recommended for blue pearl--and it was just fine. (I'm sure it is still fine, but we sold that house.)

HTH,

lizamann
12-23-2006, 12:10 PM
We don't seal our granite either. It's "tan brown" from India but looks very black. This stuff isn't going to stain!

kimbe
12-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Catherine and Beth -- thank you for your replies. We are going to have to investigate getting some granite that you don't have to seal. We are also going to take a look at that message board!

Thanks so much for your replies. Only I can make picking counter tops difficult!

nfowife
12-23-2006, 02:12 PM
When we got our granite installed, the installer said we didn't need to seal it if we periodically polished it with lemon pledge- the silicon/teflon in it keeps the granite sealed that way. We have a tan granite with lots of black, reddish, and shimmery specks called giallo ornamental.

kimbe
12-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Very intersting --- looks like we've got a lot more research to do on this granite thing! Thanks for the info.

CiderLogan
12-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi - just wanted to add that we LOVE our Silestone. It's easy to clean, looks great, requires no maintenance, etc. Ours is a few years old; I don't remember them saying it had microban in it at the time.

However, I am pretty sure sealing granite isn't a big deal, either (although we were happy to skip buying something that required any extra maintenance!).

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06