PDA

View Full Version : Please help me plan a Florida vacation! Sanibel or Captiva or other?

mattysmom
12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
We have not been on a family vacation since we became a family (4 years ago!) but I want to try this year! We have two boys - almost 4 and 20 months - who are SUPER active and have tons of energy. We'd like to be at the beach (lots of room to run), have kitchenette facilities so we don't need to eat out for every meal, have either two rooms or a 1-2 bed condo-like room (our boys are terrible sleepers - that's why we haven't vacationed yet) and be a direct flight from Boston. And we're looking to travel bewteen February to early March and go somewhere warm enough to go in the water. Right now Captiva and Sanibel top our list - has anyone been to one or both and have any recommendations? DH wants somewhere nicer rather than bargain as we haven't vacationed in so long so price isn't the biggest factor.

Thanks so much for any advice!

jd11365
12-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Years ago we stayed at the Sundial on Sanibel, which sounds like it would be perfect for you.

BeachBum
12-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't think that it will be warm enough to swim that time of year. I'm a Floridian and even the Keys can be hit or miss in March.

If you push the dates further in to spring/summer consider Amelia Island as a destination. It is a great little beach town. There are tons of condo options there. If you can't find one on your own ERA is probably the largest rental real estate agency.

karolyp
12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I have to agree with the PP that the water still can be chilly during Feb/March. Then again, as a Floridian myself, what's cold to me can be hot to somebody else lol!

Anyhow, I've found the below website to be helpful when looking for condos to rent. Good luck in your search!

http://www.cyberrentals.com/USA/Florida/South-Central-Gulf/Sanibel-Captiva/r7712.htm

bubbaray
12-27-2006, 03:19 PM
We really liked the Ft. Myers area, but we were there in November.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

kcimato
12-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I have not been to the area but have used cyberrentals for my Maine vacations. It's great. Also go to www.tripadvisor.com There you can go to a forums section on the area you want and ask questions about places to stay, eat, see etc.

ast96
12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Sanibel is very nice -- we too have stayed at the Sundial and like dit a lot (hi, Jamie!).

I agree that February and March can still be cool here, even that far south. You might want to try to push back your dates a little more. Naples and Longboat Key are two places to look too. I love the Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach area, but if I was going to fly into Jacksonville's airport, I would probably go stay in St. Augustine/Crescent Beach. St. Augustine has a lot to do for kids -- great parks, playgrounds, the big fort -- and Crescent Beach/Anastasia Island is simply gorgeous. We stay there every summer and did when I was growing up here too -- try the Summerhouse condos.