PDA

View Full Version : How do your DCs address their godparents?

SASM
12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Ian is almost 4 and Bryn is 22 months and they've had their godparents just as long. Believe it or not, we are still not quite sure how to have the kids address them. Both sets of GPs are close friends that are married couples. DH and my godparents were/are literally our aunts and uncles, so we knew what to call them. Growing up we were both raised to call our parents' friends "Mr and Mrs. LAST NAME", and I called my parents' very close friends "Aunt and Uncle", so that was a thought. However, I have asked Ian's GPs what they would like to be called and they said "Whatever you feel comfortable with." Ian's GPs have an INSANE amount of nieces and nephews so I didn't want to confuse THEIR kids ("Why is Ian calling you "Aunt Laurie and Uncle Marc"? He isn't a cousin.). Their kids call DH and I by our first names, which isn't an option for my kids, personally, as I wasn't raised calling adults by their first names. So...What should Ian call his godparents??? I have been having them address adults with "Miss/Mr. FIRST NAME" as it is common in the area where I live. I would like for him to call them something special, different from our other friends, b/c they really take godparenting seriously, especially since we live quite a distance away.

Bryn's godparents are a different story. Their kids call us "Aunt/Uncle" and they sign the occasional letter by the same. Unfortunately, if we see them once a year it is a good year. :( They live quite a distance in the other direction.

I would prefer that the kids call their godparents the same thing to minimize confusion but, even this late in the game, I am still so...UGH!!!!!! Any suggestions...PLEASE???

TIA! (I hope.) Happy holidays!

egfmba
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
This is probably no help, but...

In the Mexican culture, we call our godparents madrino and padrino, so that gets shortened to Nina and Nino here. That's what DS calls his godparents.

My best friend has her kids call me Miss Eva. I find it charming and respectful (though I am not her kids' godmother because they're not the same religion).

Good luck with this. It's difficult, I know.

eva

ribbit1019
12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I asked the godparents what they preferred. Madison's Godmother said whatever (she is my Aunt so I will have her call her Aunt XXX) but her Godfather said Godfather and he was dead serious. So literally she is to call him Godfather, his son calls his Godfather "Godfather" also so it isn't strange to him at all, it is strange to me though! :) GL, I know it is hard. It isn't liekly that Jarred's godfather will enjoy being called that so we will likely end up with something different.

Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

almostamom
12-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I am "Aunt Linda" to all of my godchildren (one is my nephew, but the other two are not related to me). My godparents were "Aunt and Uncle". It works for us.
HTH,

JoyNChrist
12-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Can you use some other "grandparent-type" name for them?

Like, I called my godmother "Nanny" and my godfather "Peepaw" - my mom didn't force this, I just kind of came up with it on my own. It worked for us.

Maybe you could find a few different names like this and then let the godparents choose what they like? Just an idea...

lizajane
12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
my children call their godparents lucy, john and kaye. (they have different godmothers, but the same godfather- i choose godmothers, daddy chooses godfather.)

my godchild is 2 months old, but his brother calls me liza and DH, jeffrey and davis will do the same.

i think "auntie" is a cute way to distinguish from an aunt, but give a name the same meaning. but what to do about "uncle" i don't know.

IMHO, i think just calling the adult by his/her firstname makes it special/different from all other adults. many of my friends, myself included, prefer firstname only so that is what we use. when i am not 100% sure, i use "miss firstname" and when i introduce someone new to my almost 4 year old, i use mr/mrs lastname. but i am certain that the godparents will ALWAYS be firstname only.

mommyapb
12-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Same here. We are Greek Orthodox & dd's godparents are Nouna & Nouno which literally means godmother and godfather. I don't see anything wrong with calling them that. In our culture, it is also very common to call people aunt/uncle even if they are not family but still very close. SO you could always go that route.

HTH

overcome
12-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Aunt and Uncle, even though they are really Mia's 2nd cousins.

We don't have a big family, so I figured it would work out okay. Right now I feel a little weird referring them to aunt and uncle, but It will seem more natural when Mia starts talking and can actually refer to them as Aunt and Uncle.

I called my godparents (and my brother's...who were different from mine) Aunt and Uncle even though they weren't.

Valerie99
12-28-2006, 01:14 AM
I live in south Louisiana and kids here call their godparents Nanny and Paran. I guess that's just a Cajun thing though, because I never heard it when I lived in Texas. Actually I think they are somewhat derived from the French words for godmother and godfather. Other adults are generally addressed by Miss/Mr. Firstname. Even most adults here do that when addressing another adult that is older than them.

mommyto4
12-28-2006, 03:34 PM
My son's name is Davis too. I got alot of grief for it from my in laws but, DH and I both love it.

JoyNChrist
12-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey Valerie!

Where are you in LA? (If you don't mind me asking.) I'm in the south too - Lake Charles area.

I love southern mommies!

Valerie99
12-28-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm closer to the Lafayette area. My DH and I both work in Lafayette, but we live about 45 minutes away in Church Point. I moved here from Dallas almost 2 yrs ago and it's been quite an adjustment!

JoyNChrist
12-28-2006, 09:06 PM
My high school volleyball team used to play Church Point!

DH travels for work, so we go to Lafayette a lot (there's much better shopping there than in Lake Charles).

kijip
12-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Toby calls them Aaron and Helen, which are their names. I think that if I was uncomfortable with first names (used only for close friends and family ala godparents for us) I would have him use Mr. and Ms. LastNames.

MarisaSF
01-02-2007, 11:40 AM
My brother (now an adult) still calls his godmother Mama Lastname; she is my mom's best friend.

My good friend's kid calls me by my first name or Mama Marisa. It's not like I'm her other mother, just a mother named Marisa, if that makes sense.

SASM
01-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I just wanted to send a belated "THANK YOU!" for your responses! :) Haven't been online in a while.

So...THANK YOU...THANK YOU...for your awesome suggestions!

Happy 2007!