PDA

View Full Version : Re:Schedule Thread. DH work odd hours? How does this change things?

blueeyedb
12-30-2006, 11:44 AM
The schedule thread got me thinking. My DH works odd hours: M, T off, W in 3:00 P out 11:00 P, Th in 2:00 P out 10:00 P, F in 11:30 A out 7:30 P, Sat & Sun in 6:30 A out 2:30 P. It makes it hard to have a firm schedule in place b/c every day is different. Do any of you have a DH that works odd hours and how does it change your schedule?

barbarhow
12-30-2006, 12:46 PM
HI Brandi-We have similar issues here in our house. My DH works a rotating schedul. It is a 4 week schedule that repeats so we know way in advance what his schedule is. He works 7-8 night shifts a months and the rest are day shifts. Most are 12 hour shifts and a few are 8.
It takes some getting used to but it actually works really well for us. Surprisingly, it is easier for me when he works a 12 hour night than a 12 hour day as he is home in the morning to take them to school. When he is on days I have to get them to school and pick them up, do breakfast and dinner and baths. He basically walks in the door in time to kiss Anna goodnight and read to Jack before bed.
I think with an open mind and creativity-just about any schedule can be made to work.
HTH
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

val01
12-30-2006, 02:20 PM
My DH is a pilot and flight instructor. It was really bad years ago when he first got started with instruction. Now, he has more of a following so to speak and pretty much sets his own schedule.

After many years of frustration with what time to make dinner, etc, I just don't schedule around him anymore. I get up and do my own thing. If his schedule works with normal, that's great, but if not I am not going to get bent out of shape about it. I use to try to time dinner with what time that I thought that he would be home. HA! Now, I just make dinner and whatever is leftover goes in the fridge to be reheated. Luckily, DH is pretty easy going about it all.

When we selected a daycare, I made sure that it would work around my office and schedule since I am the one most likely to get her 90% of the time.

HTH,

Valerie

pb&j
12-30-2006, 10:01 PM
DH is a pro photographer, and we never know what his hours will be. He's been doing this since before DS was born, so I can't really say how it's "changed" our schedule - it's just always been like this. Now, if he worked a 9-5 office job, *that* would be a serious adjustment for us!

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)