PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to a party at Chuck E Cheese recently?

jess_g
12-30-2006, 11:54 AM
My 6 year old son is in love with the mazes at Chuck E Cheese. He wants to have his party there in January. I am unsure what age ranges are good for a party there and how many of his friends would come. I was hoping for a calmer place like his gymnastics gym but don't want to just force him to have a party some place he does not want. Just wondering what others think of partys there and what others would do if they don't like the choice a child makes for a party place. In this case its not the cost but the noise and the fact that I know some of his friends will not come because of the noise (some of his friends are autistic).

Thanks,

Jessica.

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Have you considered having it on an off night or day rather than a weekend? When I was little we had my party there on a Tuesday night and it was much more manageable according to my mom. I love a queit weekday afternoon there but I imagine at 6yo he is at school. Could be that scheduling it for after school could work if most of the kids are getting picked up by a parent after school.

Beth

newmomto3kids
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Chuck E Cheese is definitely a loud place. Lots of noise and lights and running around. I have seen birthdays there for kids turning 9 so I don't think age is too much of an issue.
By mazes, do you mean the climbing tubes? If so, you might check out McDonalds or the local community center. They might have the climbing tubes with out all the noise and sensory overload.
I second PP's idea to go at an off time. We did Lily's party there when she turned 4, we did it in the early afternoon and it was much, much quieter and calmer.
Happy birthday to your son!!

Tondi G
12-30-2006, 07:34 PM
I went to a party there on a Sunday morning... 11 am I think it was and it was MUCH calmer than I expected! This was for a 1 year old and it worked out perfectly!

You don't happen to have a big backyard do you??? You could rent one of those obstical course jumper things! Not tubes up high but fun none the less and would be just for your birthday boy and his friends not the general public!

http://www.awesomebounce.com/cf/detail.cfm?ProductID=115

http://www.awesomebounce.com/cf/detail.cfm?ProductID=60

HTH's you! Good Luck

~Tondi

cstack
12-30-2006, 07:45 PM
My DS is also 6 and we had his last birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. There are activities for smaller children, but not a real lot. It's nice for the 5-10 range because they can do the tubes and the video games. My DD (13) had a fine time playing the games. It's definitely much better on a weekday night or early Sunday morning. We had ours on a Monday night. My niece had her DD's on a Sunday morning. There was I think 1 other party there when DS had his and a handful of people just there. When DN had her party, there were three other kids there - total (Sunday morning, first party). I've been to Saturday parties and they are chaotic to put it nicely. Added bonus, you get extra tokens on weeknights and your party time isn't as limited.

That said, it's not a place for kids who have autism or other sensory integration issues. Even when there's no one else in the place, it's noisy because of the games and the video screen.

We have also had McDonalds parties (as suggested by PP). I wasn't impressed. Though some McDonalds have indoor play areas, many do not. If you have an outdoor play place, even if you're in a warmer climate, you are weather dependent. If it rains, you're in trouble. I had a party there for DS16 when he was younger (Feb birthday) and the people who did his party were great, but there was not a real lot to do because our play place is outside. I had parties for DS6 at 2 different McDonalds (4th and 5th birthdays in March). There was nothing to do. There was no "hostess" to speak of other than coming over to take our order and bring a garbage bag. They did absolutely nothing with the kids at the second party (at least the guy at the first party tried) and it cost me almost as much as Chuck E Cheese did. The kids went stir crazy.

The food court at our local mall has a maze and they do parties, not sure if that's an option for you. I've done home parties - as quiet as you want them to be, but you do the entertaining unless you hire a hostess (or a clown, but some kids are afraid of clowns) and in the winter, they can be something of a pain.

My experience - most kids parties are noisy. If you put enough kids in a room together (often, 2 are all it takes) they will be noisy. I'm thinking the parents of the friends who have autism will know how much their children can handle and will probably let you know if you ask them. They may also have ideas about where you could have a fun party in your area that would not be overwhelming.

HTH

trumansmom
12-31-2006, 12:19 AM
We had Truman's there last month. We invited waaaaaay too many kids and it was total chaos. That being said, everyone had a great time. Older kids think it's great, and Eleanor had a blast as well. I think I was the only one who was totally miserable. :P If we ever do it again (and Eleanor assures us we will), it will be during an off time or on a week night. Saturday at noon was insane.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kransden
12-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Ages 5 snd up seem to really enjoy Chuck E Cheese. My dd loved it at 3.5 but you usually have to help them, which defeats the purpose in book of having the party there.

I would book the party first thing when it opens, or early afternoon on a weekday. It is usually pretty quite then. Some of the children might be able to handle it. Maybe you could have a family party with just a friend or two at CC's, and have the big birthday party somewhere else?

Karin and Katie 10/24/02