PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an elderly relative with a medical monitor system?

JenDC
01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
My 98 year old great-aunt lives on her own in NYC. She has no children of her own, so my mom and one other niece are closest to her. She is like a grandmother to me. Last week she fell (while with others) and bruised her pelvic bone badly. While her doctor said she is is great shape for her age (he expects her to easily make it to 100+) she is moving very slowly and we are worried about another fall. I've been trying to research those medical monitoring systems- the ones with the button for the person to wear- and can't find any reviews anywhere! Has anyone used one of these for someone in your family? How did you choose the company? Were you happy with the service? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

mom to Shoshana 3.29.06

Alys the Cat
01-02-2007, 01:48 PM
My grandmother - who's 92 - wears one. Not sure of all the details, but I know the service is provided through a local hospital. We purchased the equipment and the monitoring subscription through them. (Sorry -- not sure of the price.)

She has used it several times, and we've always found them to be very courteous and responsive. It's great peace of mind for her and for us.

You might want to call a few hospitals in NYC and ask if they offer something similar. Even if they don't, they might have a senior services coordinator who could put you on the right track.

Wishing your great aunt a speedy recovery!

jayali
01-02-2007, 02:13 PM
My mom had one. We rented the equipment through the red cross. It hooks up through the phone line. It worked out really well. They have to push a button twice a day and if they don't a person calls for them through the intercom, which should be centrally located in the home. If no response then they start the call list for the person. It will be up to the first person on the list to decide if EMT should be dispatched. My mom lived in South Jersey and we were in North Jersey, so we made a neighbor the first on her call list. I thought there would be no way my mom would wear the button around her neck, but she NEVER took is off - NEVER! It became a security blanket of sorts for her. I highly recommend it for anyone that lives alone.

I think that you can probably get the service through other providers, but at the time the Red Cross came highly recommended. About 8 years ago I think it was $15/month and then whatever the cost of the rental of the machine. I want to say about $50 for the year. Not much at all. Someone had to be home for the install and I recommend that your Mom or cousin are there so that they can get a full explanation of how the service works.

Hope your Great Aunt is feeling better soon. Falls, especially in the elderly can be really scary and sometimes can do more psychological damage then physical.

Good luck.

kdeunc
01-02-2007, 02:48 PM
MY DH's grandmother has one which was gotten through ADT (the alarm company I believe). She begrudgingly got it after a fall and just before Christmas had to use it when she fell again and suffered a hairline hip fracture. I think that some of the major alarm companies offer something like this. Good luck.

schums
01-02-2007, 04:18 PM
This is the same one my grandma had years ago. I think her's came from the local hospital instead of the Red Cross, but it was a smiliar setup. Grandma's didn't have an intercom, tho -- the monitoring company just called on the phone if she forgot to push the button. It was inexpensive and worked well for us.

HTH and GL!
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

AngelaS
01-03-2007, 07:31 AM
My grandma had a setup like that thru the county hospital. One winter day she locked herself out on the back step while cleaning the steps off for the dog and by pushing the button she summoned help. Her neighbor came and found her within minutes because that neighbor was on the top of the hospital's call list. We were glad she had it. :)