PDA

View Full Version : Teething Trauma, any tips?

dules
01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Poor baby. My DD was a super easy baby in most respects but teething really pushed her over.

We did Tylenol quite a bit, even in daytime. We also did cold stuff in the safe feeder (frozen melon, grapes, fruit juice pop, etc.). Wooden teethers feel good, esp on back teeth.

I tried Anbesol on my own lip and it felt so weird I never put it on DD but I guess that might be worth considering.

I hope those teeth break through soon!

Mary

newnana
01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Poor thing! Yes, those eye teeth were a doozy for DD. She also liked to chew wet washcloths (sometimes sort of frozen) and those Gerber teething biscuits really were something that she really liked to gnaw on, the biting felt really good. She liked to chew on cold stuff, but hated to hold it, so it worked better for her when I held it.

We did do baby orajel on those bad ones. It brought her so much relief. DD also ran a little fever whenever she was cutting a tooth. I've heard other people mention the Hyland's teething tablets, but never tried them myself. I've heard very good things. Anything hard to chew on, even if it's not cold because he doesn't like it. Gerber also makes a teething toy that looks like a goofy star it's got a bunch of different point things that are easy to hold and chew on with different textures. The little dippers work well if you have those. Easy to hold and chew.

Ah, the first teether is called the Orbi teether. I highly recommend this one:

http://www.gerber.com/prodcat?catid=583

Good luck!!!
Michelle

DrSally
01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the tips! I should try a teething biscuit again. Last time I tried, he just broke it in half and put the whole thing in his mouth, waiting for it to disolve. Great idea to hold the cold teethers for him. His hands get so cold, maybe that's why he turns away from them. I've heard different things about orajel, but if it worked so well for you, I think I'll try it if I can get him out of the house tomorrow. Oh, and little dippers, I have some! Today I held him and he "sleep nursed" for 3 whole hours while I watched closed caption tv on mute! At least he got some peace and sleep today though! DH was able to pull his lips up and he is actually getting 2 molars in! Maybe that's why it's so much worse.

bubbaray
01-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Motrin at night, Tylenol during the day and Hylands teething tablets as extra relief. Hylands work really well, but gave my DD diaper rash, so we used them minimally -- I've not heard of them doing that with other kids.

We also used cool teethers, that I kept in the fridge (not the freezer -- DD didn't like freezer ones). The First Years vibrating teether worked well too.

I think there's a product called Hurricane Gel, but I've never used it.

The eye teeth/canines are almost as bad as the 1st molars. Hang in there, sounds like they'll be through soon!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

DrSally
01-04-2007, 06:45 AM
DS is on his 5th day of major teething trauma--constant crying (real tears, not just fussing)/screaming, clinging, waking up 3-4 times a night, not getting naps, etc. He had a low grade temp the first 4 days, which seems to be gone now (possibly concided with a cold). I think this started earlier, but has really peaked and now he's not sleeping well. He has 2 lower and 4 upper, so he's getting 2 eye-teeth. I was able to feel in his mouth and there are huge swollen mounds and you can practically feel the teeth, but they haven't broken through yet. I've heard the eye teeth can really hurt. It's never been this bad with prev teeth. We're giving motrin at night, but he still wakes up, just not as mad. He did wake up after 6 hours, though, when it wore off and could not get back to sleep. Poor guy, just crying and crying. He doesn't like the feel of cold stuff on his mouth and won't do the ice in the safe feeder. Medicine only seems to be making a little dent. Any other tips or comiseration or reassurance that this won't last another week??!!

newnana
01-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Glad you all got a little rest. Good luck getting out today. Doing something different and new to distract DD from the pain during the day also helped alot. Doing something she loved and doesn't get to do often really distracted her. Home was too common. Maybe your DS will love to go shopping for some teething toys. Heck, maybe if he helps pick them out he'll be more likely to use them? Doubt it, but worth a shot. Good luck!!!
Michelle

DrSally
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the support/tips everyone! We're doing the motrin at night and tylenol for nap. Even with many teething rings, his fingers seem to be the fav thing to gnaw on. Last night he tried biting my stomach and DH's big toe. I have to look up the order teeth come in, b/c these are actually molars, not eye teeth as now we can see a bit of tooth coming in at a weird angle. I'm off to Target today to get some more motrin and hopefully look at what's left of clearance. BTW, where do you find the hyland's teething tablets? Thanks again!