PDA

View Full Version : Where did the poll about the moderators go?

Jeanne
01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
This has got to be a joke. I just came back to reply to those who keep expressing concern that those of us who disagree are attaching the mods as untrue.

Some of the most interesting and creative discussions have been posted and led by mods of previous tenure. Some of those discussions blew me away with how smart a collective bunch this place seems to attract.

Really... If anyone is wondering where the old members are and why they don't come around anymore, this censorship is precisely why. A member is allowed to disagree without being presumed to be attacking to a mod. I don't think it's necessary to post a "love fest" to the mods in every response. Just because someone doesn't do so, doesn't mean they have no respect for the mods or the community.

Deleting a legitimate question and heartfelt responses is not the way to run a message board based on opinions – opinions that serve the bottom line of those making money from the collective knowledge of this community.

Should I expect to be the next member that gets a pm with a veiled “threat� to ban me simply posting this?

megs4413
01-03-2007, 03:03 PM
here here!

momathome
01-03-2007, 03:04 PM
I would say the deletion of a poll asking whether or not mods should be able to edit and delete posts is case and point. Apparently the mods have answered the question presented in the poll in their own special way.

chlobo
01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
How do you know the moderators deleted it? Maybe it was the Fields. This is, after all, their board. Maybe they disagreed with the poll and deleted it.

Any sometimes if it looks like mod bashing it is.

Jeanne
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Where in my post did I accuse or assume a mod deleted the poll?

Those of us who have been around long enough know that when Alan & Denise have something to say or take any particular action with this board, they pin an announcement to that fact.

Just because someone chooses to see a post as an attack does not make it so.

cmdunn1972
01-03-2007, 03:23 PM
First of all, the poll was a deliberate and blatant attempt to bait the mods. That fact was explained plainly to the OP of the poll in question.

Secondly, the poll was not deleted, but I moved it to the Admin folder so that we can deliberate the matter with the Fields and deal with it appropriately as a unit.

For the record, as a courtesy I did communicate with the OP directly before taking such action so she is well aware of exactly how the poll was interpreted, so there shouldn't be any surprises on her part. I did so strictly as a courtesy, as I am not required to explain any administrative functions I choose to utilate to either anyone individually or to the group as a whole, and that is the same courtesy that I am extending to the community at large now.

Rest assured, the poll was taken very seriously by the mod team, and appropriate and decisive action will be taken as soon as we can deliberate.

Fairy
01-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I'll say it again. I think we need to give this a rest. This board does not belong to us, the users. It is owned by the Fields. Mods are agents of the Fields. They do a completely thankless job that is almost certainly a volunteer thing they don't get paid for. They have to make judgment calls, some are the right call, some are not, either way, it's theirs to make, ours to accept, and that's the way it is. If you have a gripe about it, go to THEM. If you don't like what they have to say once you approach them, go to the Fields. If you still don't like the disposition once all is said and done, LEAVE.

amp
01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Since when does voicing an opinion on how things have been run lately, which is based on actual events, become "mod bashing".

This poll being deleted is *exactly* the kind of thing I've been talking about for months (posts being moved, deleted, edited) and the mods keep telling me I'm paranoid and that they "rarely" delete, move or edit posts. Funny how everytime I mention it and everytime they deny it, it happens again. It blows my mind.

Moneypenny
01-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Ditto. There is an appropriate way to deal with any concerns or complaints you may have, and this isn't it.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

megs4413
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
>First of all, the poll was a deliberate and blatant attempt
>to bait the mods. That fact was explained plainly to the OP
>of the poll in question.

it was a poll for goodness' sake! how is it baiting the mods to ask what the general concensus is among BBBers about this subject? it seems like we have some really sensitive mods around here! if it was a poll about do you think there are too many folders, would the fields have taken that as a blatant attempt to insult them for including so many folders? GEESH!
>

>For the record, as a courtesy I did communicate with the OP
>directly before taking such action so she is well aware of
>exactly how the poll was interpreted, so there shouldn't be
>any surprises on her part.

this is so key to me...."she is well aware of exactly how the poll was interpreted". it was your interpretation that created all this nonsense. maybe pinning the topic and locking it saying that the fields/mods are going to take this into consideration but would appreciate ending the discussion woudl have been better than just whisking it away leaving people to wonder what happened!!!!????

wagner36
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
>If
>you still don't like the disposition once all is said and
>done, LEAVE.

Unfortunately, that is what has happened. I think the loss of many of the older (not age-wise, ladies!), more prolific members of these boards is a great loss to the community.

amp
01-03-2007, 03:39 PM
The more I read from you, Megs, the more I like you. You have a concise and straighforward way of stating the situation. I like your levelheaded take on things.

Jeanne
01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Why are you assuming that people haven't gone to the mods and Fields and expressed their concerns and opinions?

You have only been here for two years. Those of us who have been around here much longer than that have brought in a lot of new members that have in fact made this board what it is today.

I don't get this simplistic argument. The board's bandwidth is maintained by the Fields. The community input is owned by the community. That input also supports the book and continuation of the Field's business - not to mention the countless numbers of businesses that are mentioned in every other forum. In the six years I have been here, I have never seen a post from the Fields asking every member to agree with each other or the mods.

If I understand you correctly, those of us who dare to voice an opinion of opposition should leave then and take every single member with us who we have brought in to support this BBB endeavor? That's a lot of people leaving and a lot of lost business for the Fields.

fortato
01-03-2007, 03:44 PM
It's almost like the Field's went on vacation and left the boards to the teenage babysitters...

This comment is not to be offensive to the mods- I'm just stating that there's a lot of tension on the boards and those left in charge are getting all the heat.

I miss the way it used to be. Opinions and everything... I like the tension, brings on labor!

Kristen:7

amp
01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Very well said, Jeanne, as usual.

Fairy
01-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your viewpoint. I respectfully choose not to explain myself any further, however. I will say, though, that I've been around for several years. It's only my user registration that's two years old.

Have a great day!
-- Fairy

karolyp
01-03-2007, 03:49 PM
>
>this is so key to me...."she is well aware of exactly how the
>poll was interpreted". it was your interpretation that created
>all this nonsense. maybe pinning the topic and locking it
>saying that the fields/mods are going to take this into
>consideration but would appreciate ending the discussion woudl
>have been better than just whisking it away leaving people to
>wonder what happened!!!!????
>

And that's what used to happen in the past - why not now?

Melanie
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
The Field's get a lot of their information from their boards, and I've yet to see them want to discourage members from posting dissenting opinions about anything. The way the boards run is yet another 'product' for their members to speak on. Since when is someone not going to want 'product' feedback about how to keep their consumers happy?

Melanie
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
>It's almost like the Field's went on vacation and left the
>boards to the teenage babysitters...

Well that's it. Now you've gone and made me spit water all over my new monitor. I think you should be banned!

(totally kidding BTW, thanks for the chuckle)

karolyp
01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
>I don't get this simplistic argument. The board's bandwidth
>is maintained by the Fields. The community input is owned by
>the community. That input also supports the book and
>continuation of the Field's business - not to mention the
>countless numbers of businesses that are mentioned in every
>other forum. In the six years I have been here, I have never
>seen a post from the Fields asking every member to agree with
>each other or the mods.
>
>If I understand you correctly, those of us who dare to voice
>an opinion of opposition should leave then and take every
>single member with us who we have brought in to support this
>BBB endeavor? That's a lot of people leaving and a lot of
>lost business for the Fields.
>

here here (or hear hear)

One single post in this board can boost a business' sales considerably.

MartiesMom2B
01-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I truly understand that your position as a moderator is tough. Several past moderators are dear friends of mine and I know what you go through.

However, I do not understand how this post was seen as a "blatant attempt to bait the mods". Is it because it's a poll? Is it due to the fact that it's in the lounge? There is a similar post by a different long time member in the suggestion box, where this is the topic. If this post was baiting, I suggest you file away the suggestion box post in the admin folder as well.

There have been many times in the past where a moderator or both have been criticized. This is the first time that I've ever seen the criticism swept under the rug.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

DebbieJ
01-03-2007, 04:03 PM
>First of all, the poll was a deliberate and blatant attempt
>to bait the mods. That fact was explained plainly to the OP
>of the poll in question.

Yes, you did explain that you felt that way and I explained to you that was not my intent.

>For the record, as a courtesy I did communicate with the OP
>directly before taking such action so she is well aware of
>exactly how the poll was interpreted, so there shouldn't be
>any surprises on her part.

Yes, you did communicate your interpretation to me and again, I explained to you that my intent was not malicious.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

cmdunn1972
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Further discussion of this issue is not getting us anywhere, and we are at an impasse. Let's move on.

If anyone has an issue with the way we or the Fields run this message board, there are better ways to express that then they ways we have seen this afternoon.

new_mommy25
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
It wouldn't let me vote and now it is gone?