PDA

View Full Version : How about another rash question?

purpleeyes
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
DS has had a weird 'rash' for the past few days that honestly, I thougth would fade! After reading some of the other rash posts, I'm getting a little worried. It started on his right hips, and spread just a little bit down onto his leg. The bumps are small and raised-like pimples. I tried some hydorcortisone, and they have faded a little, but I am still concerned. The drs. office closed at 12:30 today, of course, but I could call if it is 'urgent' (if it isn't, I get charged, so I thought I'd check here, first.)

TIA!!

Beth

ETA: we haven't eaten anything different or changed detergents recently. His diaper leaked big time this morning in the exact same spot, but the rash appeared before that, but his diaper leaks from time to time, so could it be an irritation from that?

SnuggleBuggles
01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I have no ideas on the rash. Just wanted to say you should find a new pediatrician. :) I can't believe they charge you $ if you call after hours and it isn't urgent. Well, I could understand that they don't want you to call in with questions that really could wait like basic baby care questions. But, something like a mystery rash could be urgent so I would hope they wouldn't charge you.

Have you tried googling the rash? Is it bothering him (itchy)? Any other symptoms?

Beth

purpleeyes
01-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I know what you mean about the ped, but it is the ONLY thing that is a problem, everything else is so great, you know? ;)

Anyway, nope, no itchiness, it doesn't seem to bother him when I rub it or put cream on it, he doesn't play with it (sleeping with a shirt and a diaper right now and he didn't even notice it), no fever, etc... that's why I thought it would fade-no other symptoms.

Grr. Maybe I should just call.

B

jayali
01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
When DS get strep he starts with a rash usually on his lower abdomen and shoulders. I would probably wait until the morning and just watch him. But I would call and bring him in tomorrow. If it starts to bother him before then I would definitely call. I also wouldn't put anything on it, but maybe let the air get at it.

Hope it turns out to be nothing.

newmomto3kids
01-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I probably wouldn't call, but that is me. My kids get rashes all the time. Unless they have a fever or are otherwise miserable, I just let it run it's course. I think I read somewhere that the only "rash" that is a real emergency is petechiae, which is not really a rash, and definitely not what your kiddo has.
I think you can safely wait until they are open again.
Good luck!!

pb&j
01-05-2007, 03:59 PM
For me, I'd wait and see until the ped's office is open. We're a rashy kind of family though, so I have a pretty high tolerance for rashes, as long as there's no fever, other illness, or discomfort involved.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif