PDA

View Full Version : SAHM/D's: How much do you spend for weekly childcare (babysitters, nannys, daycare, etc)?

JMS
01-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I finally found someone I'm comfortable leaving DD and DS with. I trust her completely and I know she could handle any situation. I'm finally free to get out a bit by myself. Typically I'm running errands, but I'm also trying to get to the gym a couple times a week as well. I'll also be starting DD in a Little Gym class later in the month and be leaving DS at home with my babysitter. Last month I added up what this luxury (necessity?) cost me and I am feeling a bit guilty. Just curious how I compare to other SAHM/D's situation.

Thanks for your input!

ETA: I guess for simplicity purposes, I'm not really referring to nursery school. I guess I categorize that differently than MDO because nursery school/preschool is more of an early learning enviroment in my mind. DD does go to nursery school two days a week but I didn't include that in my own cost analysis.

nfowife
01-05-2007, 10:37 PM
My DD goes to mother's day out 3 days a week (well, she goes 2 days a week but we are starting 3 days a week when the baby arrives, and I had to start paying for it this month to save her spot). It is $210 a month, so about $55 a week.

JMS
01-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I wasn't even factoring in the cost of organized play groups, MDO, or nursery school. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm going to revise my poll.

kristenk
01-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Now, babysitting is free b/c the ILs moved down here and live super close by. Plus, DD is in pre-pre-preschool 2 mornings a week.

When I had a regular babysitter, she'd be here for maybe 6 hours per week and she charged $8, so it would be at least $50/week. She was great at putting DD down for naps, so DD was probably awake for about half the time (maybe more) that she was here. I also knew that she was looking for a full-time job and that I only had access to during-the-day babysitting for a limited time, so I tried to take advantage of it while I could.

Repeat after me: Whatever saves my sanity is worth it.

C99
01-05-2007, 10:52 PM
My DS goes to mother's day out twice week/4 hours per day. It's a co-op, so there is some parent participation involved. We pay $80/month, which works out to $20/week. However, I would expect to pay $80/week for someone to come into my home for about 6 hours/week.

jacksmomtobe
01-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I have a Sitter come to watch DS typically 2-3 mornings a week which runs me about $100-$150. I take DD with me and mostly do errands (esp recently with the holidays) or do things around the house to keep me sane. I would love to work out but at this point our Sitter doesn't have experience with young infants plus I'm bf'ing and not pumping. It's also nice for DS to have someone who comes just to play with him. I've considered taking a class with DD since I took so many classes with DS and am waiting until it's more about the baby and less about the Moms. Though it is hard to justify paying a Sitter and paying for a class. I've signed DS up for 2 activities this winter where we go and watch but don't have to participate. On a side note it's amazing how much these classes cost. I think with 2 it's important to get the support you need. I know that with DS we have a much better day when I get a bit of a break from him. He is much better behaved when I focus my attention on him which is something that is hard to do all day long or when I have stuff that I want to get done. It helps me stay sane knowing I have some time to get things done.

pittsburghgirl
01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I voted nothing.... I occasionally get some help from MIL when I have appointments but generally it's all me. So the 2 days/week that DS is in nursery school are a lifesaver for me, it's my only time to myself, esp now that DS is dropping naps :(

I do occasionally utilize the babysitting service at the gym, but it's pretty infrequent.

I would love to find a sitter who could do one day a week for about 4 hours. I would REALLY love it if my IL's (who are semi-mostly-retired) would do something with DS (their only grandchild) every week, but I think they find him too tiring right now.

One of my friends is seriously considering part-time daycare for her older DS (almost 3) so she can have time with her younger DS (8 months). I wouldn't feel too guilty, if you can afford it. If my DH was more on board with the idea I might look for someone a little harder.

The generally talk around our township pool last summer was about babysitters -- it seems like a lot of people have a regular sitter around here.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

TaChapm
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Nothing at all! I have actually NEVER left any of the kids with a sitter or any kind of a MDO program. The only time DH and I ever do anything without all of the kids in tow is when my Mom is here. She lives 5 hours away so it isn't that often. Not ideal but we are a really close family. I do miss dates with my DH alone.

The bad thing is that the kids are really shy of strangers and are not used to being without us. I fear it will make Pre K hard for Jackson next year.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler 6-9-05
& Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b5.lilypie.com/IV-Mm6.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

fortato
01-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I haven't left Jack with a sitter other than my Mom yet and she doesn't accept payment...

I do have a couple of sitters lined up for when I do need one, and I plan on paying $8 an hour.

I was a nanny for a while and I was paid $320 a week, that was for 8 hours a day, 4 days a week- but- I didn't have to do anything but watch the girls...no laundry, no driving, nothing, just play with the girls...so it worked out fine for me. Plus, I had long weekends every weekend.
When I nannied before college, I got paid more because I was basically a housekeeper/nanny. That's where I got paid $14 an hour. (Better than any of my Teaching jobs... so much for getting my degree to make more money)

Kristen

jayali
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I pay $120/wk for a sitter. DS goes 3 mornings a week for about 3 1/2 hours a day total of about 10-12 hours a week. We are also going to start a MMO at My Gym next month. That is $32/wk for 2 1/2 hours. A little pricey, but DS loves My Gym and his "teacher" so I thought it would be a good environment for him.

He has been going to the sitter since he was six months old and she now watches twin girls that are six months younger than him. I love it that he gets to interact with kids his age. DS is great at separating so not only does it help my sanity, but it also has been good for him.

At first I felt guilty about sending him to a sitter since I was at home, but truly it has been the best thing for the both of us.

KrisM
01-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty close to this, too. I have left them with my parents as sitters though. The one other time was when DH and I closed on the sale of our house and I left DS with a good friend of mine.

They're in bed by 7:30 and DH and I have time then. During the day, the 3 of us are together.

julieakc
01-06-2007, 02:42 AM
I voted that it's all me. DS comes with me for all errands, my doctor's appointments, lunches with friends, etc.

About once a month my mom watches DS while DH and I participate in a movie group (think book club, but movie instead), and my mom also watches him on the rare occassion that DH and I both need to attend something where DS can't come too.

JMS
01-06-2007, 12:24 PM
And the sanity remark really hit home. It gives me a much needed break and allows me to be a better mother and wife and doesn't transfer extra burden to DH. AND, after all, it's a somewhat short lived expense so despite being an expensive cost right now, at least there is an end.

Thanks everyone for your input!

nfowife
01-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Jacquelyn,
Don't feel guilty about it! As long as you can afford it, do it. Honestly I think I would go insane without the break MDO provides me. My husband travels for work for weeks at a time and when he's gone it's just me, DD, and the 2 hairy beasts (our dogs). I thought things were fine before she started, but I feel like I can focus so much better during our time together when we have a bit of a "break". Plus with a new baby coming I know I'll need it even more, which is why I added an extra day- which I do feel guilty about. I might not bring her every week for that 3rd day, but it's sure nice to know it's an option if I need it and DH is gone!
Do what you have to do to be the best mommy you can be.

redhookmom
01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I get breaks when my children are with dh or family members.

I would not feel at all guilty about paying for a break. Breaks are needed to stay sane. It was one of those things that I did not really believe when I was a new mother. I now know that breaks make you a MUCH better Mom.

floridamommy
01-06-2007, 08:11 PM
THis is such an interestng thread to me because I know I am going to have to figure out new arrangements when the baby comes. So far, I have been fortunate enough to work full time from home and when I have appointments I take DD to my mother's house or father's house. We have never left her with a babysitter yet (but I would if I found the right one). I am on a wait list for two Mommy Morning Out programs for DD. They run $75 per month for one day a week and then for every day you add...it is another $75. (9-1:00). I have been told that getting her in the fall will be fine, but it is a longshot that someone will drop out that would allow me to get her in one sooner. (The rule at both places is you have to be one and walking completely on your own...just passed that threshold). My hope is to get her in before the baby comes in April, but not sure it will happen.

npace19147
01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
DD is in playschool two mornings and week and I have a sitter at the house two afternoons a week for three hours @ $10/hr, so $60/week. It felt a bit indulgent when we started but I knew we were ttc, and once I got pg it has been such a lifesaver for me. I can nap regardless of whether DD naps on those afternoons.

I live in fear that our sitter will tell me that she can't work for us anymore, b/c I really like her and DD loves to spend time with her - she asks me when she's coming!

If you can afford it, do whatever works for you and what you need - I know it helps save my sanity. I wish we had family closer that could fill at least part of this need, but since we don't it's extra important to me b/c otherwise there would be no break during the day.

pinkmomagain
01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Today I just hired a sitter that my neighbor uses. I've hired her for one day a week from 9am-3pm. I would have preferred maybe two days a week from 9-12, but this is what she had. I'm looking forward to getting out, making appts on those days, and doing any errands that are difficult with dd in tow. I also plan to stay home and organize closets, rooms, basements on those days too. My older two are in school.

Prior to this, my dd has stayed with my parents and also a sitter that I use to go out sometimes with DH on Sat nites (maybe once a month or so).

She has asked for $12 hr. and I'm happy to pay it. She has a great deal of experience and is going to college so she is mature.

Gina

Corie
01-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Nothing! It's all me, Baby!

My kids are with me at all times! You should have seen me at my last OB/GYN appt.
It was quite funny! :)

When we still lived in Texas, my husband and I did a monthly (or every other month)
date night.

But, honestly, that's it!

I actually got a hard time from several friends about not finding a babysitter
for my daughter. But, I have a hard time justifying the expense.
This is just my opinion but I chose to be a SAHM. So, why would I
hire a babysitter for several days a week to take care of my child?
I'm sure my husband would love to hire a temp for a break from his job too!! :)