PDA

View Full Version : I think this is an etiquette question

punkrockmama
01-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Not sure as I don't usually concern myself with such things. ;) Anywho I'm writing some thank you cards to people who were kind enough to mail my kiddos presents from out of state.

My question is, who should the thank you be from? With Layla, I am writing it. Like, thanks for the little baby slippers, they're really cute on her. But with Peyton, I am not sure. Should I write it as if he were writing it? Like sign his name and stuff?

Thanks in advace! :)

Pennylane
01-06-2007, 07:05 AM
I was told that you should write the thank you note from you until the child is old enough to write it him/her self. I have purchased the fill in the blank than you notes for my dd, who is 5, to use and they have worked well.

Ann

newmomto3kids
01-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Once my kids could talk, I would ask them to help me dictate a little note and I would sign it from them.
For example, I would say to Johnny "What did you like about the firetruck Nana sent you?" He would say "It goes fast and is red."
So I would write a note that said "Thanks for the firetruck I like that it is red and goes fast. I love you, Johnny."
Until they can talk, I just write them myself.
Good Luck.
PS...We had some really funny cards this way, and I usually wrote just what they said, because I thought it was cute.

heatherlynn
01-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Yes, I also write them for my youngest ones from me. My oldest does her own.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

jgriffin
01-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Haven't decided how we're going to do them this year (but I better figure it out quick!)

For his 1st bday and Xmas, I signed the cards from me, DH, and E. And I wrote them from myself (eg "Thanks so much for the XYZ toy. E really enjoys playing with it, etc") I will probably do the same this year, but start asking E for input at his bday.

When I get thank you cards, I really don't care if they're from the parent or recipient. Although my favorites are from kids who are old enough to write them themselves...they are always so frank and funny that way.

tarabenet
01-06-2007, 12:09 PM
As others have already said, until your child is old enough to somehow communicate their thoughts/thanks, the note is from you and signed by you. My cousin, who is a super-stickler for cranking out her thank-yous, got the fill-in-the-blank type that someone mentioned, and her 3 kids used them for a while. That seemed to work really well. Before that, she'd use the kids' artwork and write the note in the corner or on the back, either dictated by the child or a good approximtion of that. I loved that! I had a wonderful fridge-gallery from them for years! I haven't seen notes quite like that from anyone else, but I thought it was one of the best ideas I'd seen.

punkrockmama
01-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks guys! I like the idea of asking him and then writing what he says about it.

Now to just get these suckers in the mail before next Christmas. :)

maestramommy
01-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I always write it from Dora, and I either sign it with my non-dominant hand or put the pen in her hand and sign it. Hokey, I know :-) But I have a greeting card software, so I can always paste a picture of her on it, and people tell me they like it!

kijip
01-08-2007, 12:33 AM
I write it from me. Now that he is writing the "thanks" and his name I have him write that down, and scribble a picture. But I still write a note in my own voice.

Fairy
01-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi S!

I do alot of thank you cards to everyone who ever got DS anything when he was born. I do it now when he gets bday gifts, too (I'm behind, tho!). When I get thank you cards for stuff I give to kids, the two things that I don't care for are a) When the parent writes the card as if the 6-week-old wrote it. Dear Fairy -- Thank you for the wonderful Onesies from the Gap. I love them and feel so cozy in them. You're so thoughtful, and how did you know I love the color green?! I love you! Love, FooFoo.

No.

B) The other thing that I like far less than A is people who send pre-printed cards with blanks in them. Dear <BLANK>. Thank you for the great <PRESENT> for my <EVENT>. I love it so much! You're a wonderful <RELATIONSHIP TO CHILD>. Love, <CHILD.>

No.

So, is there a wrong way? No. This is just how I see it. It's not that I don't appreciate the thank you. I just don't like doing it that way. So, I write the thank yous from me, DS's mother, thanking the giver for their gift for my DS.

Hope that helps!