PDA

View Full Version : Q on housecleaners

KrisM
01-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I was reading the "how much do you pay" thread for housecleaners. I am wanting to get one, as I am just not keeping up. Some questions I have:

1. How much do you pre-clean before they come?
2. What do they clean? (floors, laundry, windows?)
3. What is a deep-clean and how would I have to get ready for that?

I worry that I'll have to spend so much time picking up toys and cleaning off tables that it won't be worth it. I am working on my clutter problems, but still have things to do. Right now, my kitchen counter is covered, but the dining room table, mantle, and other areas are clean. Today, I'll do the kitchen, but some other area will end up covered, I am sure.

Anyway, just wondering how it works, in more detail.
Thanks.

hez
01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
1. I declutter. Basically, get the junk off the counters & tables so they can actually be cleaned.

2. They dust, mop, clean bathrooms, vacuum, do dishes, etc. They do not do laundry (other than changing sheets on the beds) and they do not do windows.

3. Haven't had that done (or if I did, it was so long ago I've forgotten).

g-mama
01-06-2007, 10:27 AM
1. I do have to do quite a bit of pre-cleaning: making sure all surfaces (counters, tables, floors) are clear so that they can clean them, picking up all toys, all dishes out of the sink, etc. It takes me a big part of the day before they come, and as much as I don't like it, I'm glad I have to do it because then it gets done and who knows when it would otherwise. It kind of forces the issue and I love it when they're done and my house looks perfect. For an hour. ;)

2. Bathrooms, vacuuming, mopping wood floors, changing linens, cleaning the appliances in the kitchen and all the countertops. No laundry or windows.

3. Never had a deep clean, so I don't know about that.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

shishamo
01-06-2007, 11:01 AM
this is exactly what mine does. It is a lot of work cleaning the house esp. the toys.

I have mine clean our windows twice a year and play extra for that.

thomma
01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't have a housecleaner but have had a deep clean, at least I think I have. Last May dh hired a company to come in and spring clean our house before ds and dd's 3rd bday party. A team of cleaners came in and cleaned: walls, windows, floors, wood work (trim, cabinet faces), dusted everything, ceiling fans, bathroom, all surfaces, stove, microwave. I might be forgetting something but I think that's it. We only had them do the first floor (because the second floor was full of all the crap from the first floor :) ). The house sparkled and I was able to keep up with it until school started up in September.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

nfowife
01-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Here is a website of the service I hired:
www.soonermaid.com . In their cleaning section they list what they do specifically for a basic clean vs. a deep clean. I have the deep clean scheduled for Tuesday but I have a private lady who cleans houses coming today to give me an estimate on weekly service (I am hoping to go with her because I have some friends who use her so I feel better having her in my home when I might be gone). I just hired the service becuase I was having a hard time getting in touch with her but if all works out with her estimate today I will cancel the service on Tuesday and stick with her. I am going to ask her if she will do a deep clean the first time she is here, then I figure she can keep it up once that is done with her weekly visits. Hope that helps!

dhano923
01-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I had a weekly cleaning lady before, but let her go when I became a SAHM. Now that I'm working again, I'm trying to find another cleaning lady!

For a house cleaning, you will have to pick up the clutter. The majority of house cleaners are there to clean surfaces. A housekeeper (ie a live in or a daily person) picks up the clutter and basically "keeps the house". A cleaning lady will clean the floors, counters, bathroom, etc but it's not her job to pick up toys and dirty laundry off the floor, unless you pay extra.