PDA

View Full Version : Will DD be teased if we named her Sienna?

hlam897
01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
DD is due to arrive in 5/07 and we've begun brainstorming names. DH and I really like the name Sienna but Toyota has a minivan with the same name. If we decide on Sienna, are we subjecting DD to a lifetime of teasing in the playground and at school?

JBaxter
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I dont know if she would be teased but minivan was the first thing that popped into my head.

C99
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Depends on how long Toyota keeps Sienna as its minivan model name. It's an unusual name, but not unheard of - there is an actress named Sienna Miller. She used to date Jude Law.

laurena
01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
If kids are going to tease, they will find something. But, FWIW, I first thought of Sienna Miller (she was engaged, or dated, or married Jude Law).

MarisaSF
01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Sienna is a beautiful name and was a feminine name before the minivan came out (they wisely replaced the "Previa" -- great car, but every pregnant woman has a different association with the word).

I wouldn't name her Acura or Honda, but think Sienna is safe.

Those car names seem to get recycled every few years anyway.

MartiesMom2B
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Our neighbor's named their daughter Siena. I think it's pretty.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

caleymama
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I worked with an undergrad named Sienna when I was in grad school and I thought it was a lovely name. I think if you like it you should use it. Good luck!

aliceinwonderland
01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
FWIW, I think the name is very pretty, the minivan is NOT the first thing that pops in my head, and, I know of at least one other babe (now toddler) named Siena (Italian-American family) :)

elliput
01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Sienna is a beautiful name, and I did not think of the minivan first thing. Now if you had said F-150 or Caravan, I'd be suggesting you reconsider.

jbowman
01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Drop the extra "n," and Siena is the name of a gorgeous city in Italy. Pretty name! :)

tarynsmum
01-07-2007, 11:14 PM
First thing I think of is Sienna Miller (and it's not a good thing - I don't like her because she pooped on my hometown)

Kungjo
01-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I think that Sienna is a beautiful name. I would suggest using a different spelling like dropping a "n" and spell it Siena. It's very feminine to me and I don't think of a minivan when I hear it. I think of Sienna Miller who dated Jude Law.

bostonsmama
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I think it's a gorgeous name and have nothing but positive feelings when I hear it. The only reason I thought of the minivan was because you specifically asked about teasing, but honestly it's one of the kinder things to be teased about...and easy to have a nice quip for!

The name kind of has an earthiness to it....like a nature-lover who hikes in the Arizona mountains and rescues wildlife or something (I guess I think of this because of its namesake is also a color--that earthen rust color). I've read that it means anything from "tender" of Latin origin to "from Siena," the city in Italy.

tarabenet
01-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Voice of dissent here: My first thought is of the least-used crayon in the box, Burnt Sienna. My next is of the minivan. I do think it could be a beautiful and strong name, but I have a feeling that the pop culture associations will win out, for a while at least. A lifetime of teasing? I doubt it. But some. And a lot of stupid questions from the adults, too. (Speaking as someone who knows what it is to have an unusual name. IRL, no one knows my first name. I am "Benet" to everyone. The inane questions/remarks can be amazing.)

Piglet
01-08-2007, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. We named DS2 a name that we loved but it happened to be a brand name for a popular Jewish food company (we are Jewish). Let's just say it is similar to calling a baby Heinz. We had lots of negative/unusal comments right off the bat, including MIL who flatout refused to call DS2 by his first name alone and always added his middle name when referring to him. Fast forward about 2 months and no one even thought of the connection, including MIL. We weren't woried - the novelty wears off and the baby is accepted by that name. Now, people rarely even make the connection - DS2 has made the name his own, so to speak. The best way around it for us with MIL was that so many people told us they loved the name, right in front of MIL that after a while even she figured out that it is just a nice name, regardless of the brand name, plus it comes up again and again in the bible (in Hebrew) and has a very nice meaning.

As for the Toyota Sienna issue, unless you actually drive or plan to buy a Sienna, it wouldn't bother me. There have always been names that worked for cars and girls - (Buick) Aurora, (GMC) Sierra, etc. I agree - don't call her Caravan or MDX and you'll be okay.

BTW, my name is Marina, and I get plenty of laughs at all the boat docks we visit. I have far too many pictures of signs pointing to boat docks (marinas) with me standing next to the sign. The worst was when we were in Idaho once and there was a toilet paper brand called Marina - it said "flushes easily and breaks down fast". My parents took a picture of me holding it, of course. Also, BIL rented an apartment with a toilet with the brand name Marina... and our cutlery is claled Marina... it doesn't bother me at all!

Fairy
01-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Please. It's a helluvalot better than Apple. Or Moses. Or any one of the names Demi-Bruce came up with. If they wanna tease, they'll tease. We can make it easier on our kids by not saddling them with ridiculousness. But I wouldn't put Sienna in that category.

kijip
01-08-2007, 12:59 AM
I am sure at some point she will be teased. But I doubt it will be a lifetime and I doubt that it will be about her name being the same as an old minivan (I am sure by the time your daughter is 8, the kids will be riding around in all new model names.) Kids will tease about the color pants she is wearing or the way she says the letter r or that she is wearing a pigtail when everyone else is wearing braids. In short, kids will tease about anything. Anything. Sienna is not so atypical that people will never have heard it before. They should be able to spell it and it has been used for a long time. If you love it, use it. :)

JustMe
01-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Funny, I was just talking with dd's teacher, who is pregnant, about how many good names Toyota has used for their cars. I really live Solara and she likes Sequoia (sp?). Anyway, back to you, I like Sienna and don't think it will make for too much teasing. I really like the idea of one "n", but it is pretty either way.

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

denna
01-08-2007, 03:50 AM
I think Sienna is a beautiful name. DH's young cousin (she's 4) is named Siena (after Siena, Italy (in Tuscany)). I really dont think kids are going to realize the minivan name.

pittsburghgirl
01-08-2007, 08:11 AM
One of the little girls my DS plays with at our local play center is named Sienna, and I can honestly say I never thought about the minivan when I heard her name. It's not common, but I don't see it as a major teasing name.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

scoop22
01-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I think Sienna is a beautiful name. I was watching Seinfeld the other night and one of the names on there was Sienna. THey talked about it being the color of a crayon. I thought of the minivan. i know a boy by the name of Taurus and no one makes fun of him. i like the name sienna alot.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

KBecks
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
After the town, but there's also the Kia Sedona.

I think it may take a month or two for the name to fit, but I don't see a problem with it. I like to think how a name will fit into adulthood. Would Sienna be a name that you would like for yourself?

TraciG
01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I like it a lot, it's original & pretty .

hlam897
01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback...sure makes me feel better that I am not alone in thinking Sienna or Siena is a nice name. I didn't know it's a color too until some of you pointed it out (DH knew since he loves to draw and has a color pencil called burnt sienna).

Anyway, Sienna or Siena is still on the top of our list unless we come up with another name by D-Day! :-)

Harriet

MelissaTC
01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. It is a very pretty name. When I was fretting over choosing a name based on the teasing factor, an older and wiser friend told me that as a child, a boy on her bus used to call her Terry the Terror because that was her last name. She pointed out that kids can be cruel and it doesn't matter what your name is, they will find something to tease you about. So name your daughter Sienna. :)

amp
01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Caroline is right that Toyota may not even use that name by the time your child gets to a teasing kind of age. And IMO, unless it's a terribly cruel kind of name or acronym, I wouldn't sweat it. Kids will tease about whatever they can find if they decide to do it. Heck, they'll make something up. I think that name is fine if you and your hubby both love it. If not, put it on the list and keep looking. YOu'll find one that you both like.

maestramommy
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Hard to say. I wanted to name Dora Sierra or Sienna but Dh nixed it, saying it was too popular (nothing to do with the minivan). But isn't there an actress name Sienna? I think it's a pretty name.

maestramommy
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Hard to say. I wanted to name Dora Sierra or Sienna but Dh nixed it, saying it was too popular (nothing to do with the minivan). But isn't there an actress name Sienna? I think it's a pretty name.

npace19147
01-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh dear, we've actually been considering Tallulah and are hesitating for just this reason - do I really want to follow Demi & Bruce?!?

katiesmommy
01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Actually, the first thing that comes to my mind is the color, burnt sienna. Actually one of the most used in my crayon box, it's worn down to a tiny nub of a crayon. The second thought, my friends puppy, that I named sienna, because that's the color she was, when I saw her the first time, that was the only thing that came to my mind, she looks like a crayon.

I truly believe that every kid will be teased at some point in their life. Kids are cruel, and they find anything and everything to tease someone about.

Fairy
01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Oh man, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend! Well, Tallulah is way better than Rumer!

tarabenet
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Great way to put it in perspective! At least Sienna is a beautiful name, whatver associations some of us weirdos may have for it!

npace19147
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
No offense taken! Just points up the issue I have with the name...every time we say it enough that it starts to sound "mainstream" I realize that no it's not...and are we prepared to do that to our child? Oh well still lots of time to think, and it might be a boy anyway! :)

npace19147
01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
No offense taken! Just points up the issue I have with the name...every time we say it enough that it starts to sound "mainstream" I realize that no it's not...and are we prepared to do that to our child? Oh well still lots of time to think, and it might be a boy anyway! :)