PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for weight loss programs for DH

Hippoharbor
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, DH has been trying for the last few years to get the extra weight off, but I guess not trying hard enough because he has yet to lose a single pound. I feel responsible for this weight gain that he had because he used to go to the gym all the time before I moved here. Once I was here though, he stopped going to the gym because I would not go myself...he wanted together time. So, slowly, the weight has increased.
He is now so busy at work that exercising is not feasible, at least, regular exercise. So, I was thinking about signing him up for a weight loss program that provides meals.
I know that there are several, but I do not know the differences between them.
Also, is there one that may be more "guy" friendly, such as one with great food selection or slightly larger portions?
Do these programs mail the food to you or do you go their store to pick up?
Do they require freezing? This wouldn't work too well here because our side-by-side fridge/freezer has a small freezer area.

Thank you all. I hope I can help him lose the weight.

Michelle

kristenk
01-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Yikes! The one thing that jumps out at me is that YOU want to sign your DH up for a program, not that HE wants you to sign him up for a program. I know you're trying to help and feel responsible, but if the weight loss program isn't something that he really wants to do, it won't work.

ellies mom
01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I agree. Until he is really ready to loose weight, it just isn't going to happen. You cannot do it for him. He needs to decide that he is going to eat the things he should eat and that he is going to fit exercise into his schedule. It is really sweet of you to try and help but unfortunately, this is something he has to do for himself.

About the only thing you can do is to help make sure there are healthy food choices in the house and only cook enough for reasonable serving sizes. Even then though, you can't really control how much he eats.

kedss
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
If he really wants to lose weight, maybe there are a couple of small things you can help with, like talking to him about what he eats that maybe he can cut down on? Or maybe the two of you can take walks together, or do soemthign as a family that would help replace the gym workouts he used to do?

This is really up to him though, you can help him by being supportive,
and encouraging him.

Hippoharbor
01-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Okay, let me clarify that DH has mentioned that he should do one of these weight loss programs since he is not getting the weight off any other way.
I have tried to encourage hime to take walks with DS and myself, but he says that walking makes his knees hurt.
Also, I just do not feel like a have a large enough menu planner to accomodate his dieting needs. He gets tired/bored of eating salad and baked chicken; this is why I think one of the meal-ordering plans would work so well with him.

Thanks,
Michelle

kristenk
01-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh, I'm so glad that *he's* the one who mentioned the weight loss program. There's a place in Dallas called Diet Gourmet. Here's a link: www.dietgourmet.com. Maybe there's something like that in your area?

jenmcadams
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Just thought I'd pipe in b/c my DH and I just started Jenny Craig about 6 weeks ago. There are two big national programs -- Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem. I chose JC b/c the reviews and information on the food were better than NS (NS does all shelf-stable foods and seemed to have higher sodium content in their meals) and b/c I could do JC as a center-based program (meaning I have to go in 1x/week to weigh in -- they also have a mail program if you don't live near a center). I have about 15 lbs left to lose after my second child and my DH has about 50-60 lbs to lose. I've done WW in the past and liked it, but my husband really wanted to do a program with individual consults and meals. It's expensive (food can run $90/week/person and you still need to buy dairy and veggies for most meals). It's been great doing it together and other than some self-allowed cheating during the Holidays we've been able to stick with it pretty easily. The food is actually good (much better than the Lean Cuisine, Smart One options at the grocery store IMO). I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have them. There are also some message boards for Jenny Craig with some knowledgeable members:

http://216.90.130.69/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

My husband was a little nervous about JC b/c he figured it was just for women, but so far he's been happy. We've had mixed results as far as counselors go, but we're both pretty athletic, healthy people in general (just let the weight get away from us for a while), so we're using the service for more the accountability of the weigh-ins and the food. The other really important thing about JC is to remember that you need to plan to work with the centers in weaning off their food and onto regular foods for maintenance. Friends who have done it, but haven't actively worked on a maintenance plan have regained weight where those that have taken their time getting a maintenance plan together have kept off the weight

Piglet
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Funny you should post this - my boss just told me that he loves Jenny Craig. As he put it - it is a diet program for men. As a man, he needs to be told when, where and how. No guess work. Jenny Craig seems to take the guess work out. The only downside is the cost (he figures it cost him abuot $500 a month)

bostonsmama
01-08-2007, 04:55 PM
A good friend of mine from my church (a pastor's wife) just did this (the Jenny Craig program/meals) last year and lost over 100 lbs. She looks so great, and she's older, too, and has managed to keep off the weight. I know her DH makes a good living, so she could probably afford the year that she was buying meals, but I know it worked for her. She even brought a Jenny Craig whole cheesecake to a party one year and it was such a neat treat. It totally sounds like something a guy could do (and so could I if I had the $), b/c I'm the type of person who would rather just eat what someone puts infront of me than worry about points & portions.

It's nothing I could afford. For me, I just lost 25lbs on an exercise only plan that only takes up 60 minutes a day 4 days a week...no change in eating, and today I just saw a registered dietician who's created a ratio plan for eating at my new, lower weight (I don't need as many calories now to subsist, they tell me). Anyways, good luck!

bostonsmama
01-08-2007, 04:55 PM
A good friend of mine from my church (a pastor's wife) just did this (the Jenny Craig program/meals) last year and lost over 100 lbs. She looks so great, and she's older, too, and has managed to keep off the weight. I know her DH makes a good living, so she could probably afford the year that she was buying meals, but I know it worked for her. She even brought a Jenny Craig whole cheesecake to a party one year and it was such a neat treat. It totally sounds like something a guy could do (and so could I if I had the $), b/c I'm the type of person who would rather just eat what someone puts infront of me than worry about points & portions.

It's nothing I could afford. For me, I just lost 25lbs on an exercise only plan that only takes up 60 minutes a day 4 days a week...no change in eating, and today I just saw a registered dietician who's created a ratio plan for eating at my new, lower weight (I don't need as many calories now to subsist, they tell me). Anyways, good luck!

clc053103
01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
MY DH And I did Weight WAtchers together- I'm now a lifetime member, he's still in the program. It's not that expensive, and while it doesn't provide the meals for you, you could make family meals that fit the WW program- that's what I do.

clc053103
01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
MY DH And I did Weight WAtchers together- I'm now a lifetime member, he's still in the program. It's not that expensive, and while it doesn't provide the meals for you, you could make family meals that fit the WW program- that's what I do.

saschalicks
01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I want to say that I have been doing Weight Watchers for 11 months now and have lost 47 of my 67 lbs. I do not exercise b/c like your DH I don't have time. It does not provide meals, which I actually like b/c I've learned to make informed decisions from day one. I want to start walking soon, to help get the last 20 off, but the program has been incredible. Many of the men in our group have lost a lot and they of course tend to lose faster then the women. HTH