PDA

View Full Version : TMI - sorry Blood in diaper- anyone BTDT?

JTsMom
01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
This whole post is going to be pretty gross- sorry in advance! On Sat, Jason had a little bit of blood in his diaper when he pooped. A couple days beforehand, he'd had this HUGE bm, and the next day, he cried a little when he went, so I'm assuming it's just a little tear.

I looked online for some info, and everywhere I checked basically said it wasn't a big deal unless it was a lot of blood, or if he was a dark red jelly- neither was the case- we're talking a tiny bit, on the outside of the poop.

We're on day 3 now, but it is getting better each time. He doesn't seem to be having a problem with pain or anything.

How long does this usually take to stop? There's nothing I need to do for it, is there?

JTsMom
01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
This whole post is going to be pretty gross- sorry in advance! On Sat, Jason had a little bit of blood in his diaper when he pooped. A couple days beforehand, he'd had this HUGE bm, and the next day, he cried a little when he went, so I'm assuming it's just a little tear.

I looked online for some info, and everywhere I checked basically said it wasn't a big deal unless it was a lot of blood, or if he was a dark red jelly- neither was the case- we're talking a tiny bit, on the outside of the poop.

We're on day 3 now, but it is getting better each time. He doesn't seem to be having a problem with pain or anything.

How long does this usually take to stop? There's nothing I need to do for it, is there?

megs4413
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
i wouldn't worry too much about it. when you pull back his skin and look at his rectum, can you see a tear? you may want to put some ointment around the area to make it feel better and help it heal. the first time this happened to DD I was terrified and rushed her to the doc...i saved the poop to show them even! LOL! it was just a small tear by her rectum and it went away after a few days. it's only happened a few times since then when she's got really hard poops....but it's still a little shocking to open a diaper and see blood! so i sympathize!

megs4413
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
i wouldn't worry too much about it. when you pull back his skin and look at his rectum, can you see a tear? you may want to put some ointment around the area to make it feel better and help it heal. the first time this happened to DD I was terrified and rushed her to the doc...i saved the poop to show them even! LOL! it was just a small tear by her rectum and it went away after a few days. it's only happened a few times since then when she's got really hard poops....but it's still a little shocking to open a diaper and see blood! so i sympathize!

elephantmeg
01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
add fiber/liquids to soften the poop, but otherwise, a little blood on the outside of a BM sounds like a tear to me. Some ointment might help.

DrSally
01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I think they call it a rectal fissure. If they keep happening I THINK I read that they can give a glycerin suppository. But, this sounds like a one time thing and from a hard/large BM. I agree with pp, about some ointment maybe being soothing, and lots of fiber/foods to loosen things up!