PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for small adult party for DD's first birthday?

jodi_b
01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
DH's family celebrates all the birthdays that fall in the same month together, so there will be a big party for DD and my 6 year old niece. Planning is already underway. It'll be great. No problems there.

BUT... I can't figure out what to do with my side of the family. It's just my parents, DH, DD, and I. My parents will be invited to the big party with DH's family, but they may not come (a long story) and even if they do, they'll still want to have another party for just the five of us.

If the weather is unseasonably warm we'll go to the zoo and have a picnic. I'm not sure what to do if we have typical February weather. Any suggestions? We could have something at our house, but we regularly get together over here, so I'd like to do something to make it special. I'll probably put together a first year slide show, but I'd love some other ideas. What has worked for you?

Thank you!
Jodi

trentsmom
01-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, if you have the party at your house, could you really go all out with the decorations? That would make your house a little different looking. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions. I'm a low-key, stay-at-home kinda gal.

tny915
01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Each of DD's birthdays have been small, at-home events with DH and I, my parents, and MIL. DH and I are homebodies so that's the kind of party that we like, because at that age, I feel it's really for the parents anyway. For the first and second birthdays, we just got tons of balloons, streamers and a colorful cake. That was all DD needed. She loved the decorations was so happy that everyone was playing together with her and her new toys. To her, that was special enough.

Tondi G
01-09-2007, 02:22 PM
I would go for the Zoo if the weather is ok for it. If not I think a small something at home is great! We did that for DS#2's birthday. He loves spaghetti so I made spaghetti, garlic bread and salad... we got a cake and had family come over the night of his birthday. He thought it was great and loved having all the focus on him! I'd deck the house out with balloons (some helium and some just blown by hand and scattered on the floor! It doesn't have to be anything big.... she will probably enjoy the family thing at home more than the big party with her cousin!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05