PDA

View Full Version : Would you feel obligated to bring a gift to a Welcome Baby Party?

Jenn98
01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
We are throwing a Welcome Baby party for DD#2 and plan to invite a ton of family/friends. I don't want people to feel obligated to bring a gift, but I feel uncomfortable writing "No gifts, please" on the invites. I made little invites and we are tossing them in with her birth announcements that I plan to mail in the next day or so. We did not have a shower for DD#2, but DD#1 is only 17 months old. My motivation in having a party was to discourage a ton of visitors in these early weeks especially during cold/flu season. The party will be when she is about 5 weeks old.

I guess I just don't want it to look like I'm throwing a party for my kid so people will bring gifts. I really just like to throw parties and really just wanted to celebrate DD#2 (Much like the showers for DD#1 celebrated her) and introduce her to the world. But writing "No gifts please" just isn't done here - in fact, I've never seen it or known anyone IRL who has done it.

Anyone have any advice?

egoldber
01-08-2007, 10:23 PM
In the absence of "No gifts please" I would feel a need (not necessarily an obligation :) ) to bring a gift if I hadn't already given a gift for the baby. I think that every baby deserves a gift. I always provide a gift receipt and buy from places with generous return policies. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2007, 10:23 PM
I would bring a gift but not feel obligated to. It isn't a baby shower, which is more about gifts than a welcome baby party. But, I just love buying gifts for new babies so I wouldn't be able to resist.

Beth

JustMe
01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I would feel obligated to bring a gift. What if you said "Gifts are not necessary" or someone else said something like this on another thread...your gift is your presence, so no need to bring a gift...both are someewhat different than "no gifts please" as you are leaving the option up to the people coming.

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

pb&j
01-09-2007, 09:07 AM
For our welcome baby party, we put something like "The only gift required is your presence" on the invitation. Most people still brought a little something, which was fine, but it was nice that no one felt obligated to bring a big gift, and we weren't swamped with 0-3 outfits.

For DS's 1st bday party, we put "In lieu of gifts, please give generously to your favorite charity this year," but we still got many gifts. Again, though, they were mostly small things - small toys and books. One guest gave a flock of ducks through heifer.org - perfect! :)

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

kijip
01-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I voted other. I would not feel obligated but I *might* bring a gift. If I had already attended a shower, I might not bring a gift. If I had not attended a shower I would likely bring a gift.

lisams
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Since you have not had a shower, I would feel obligated to bring a gift, but I truly enjoy doing it so it's not like a chore or anything.

Enjoy what you get and know that almost everyone loves shopping for baby stuff!

BeachBum
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
From what I've read, it is never appropriate to put "no gifts" or the like. Nor is there a requirement dictated by etiquette to bring a gift to an occasion to an event like this.
Don't let your fear of what people might or might not feel (unnecessarily) obligated to do effect your decision in throwing the welcome party (or a sip and see as we call them in the south). If people don't want to bring you a gift, they wont come--and it will be their issue to deal with not yours.

Congrats on the arrival of your little one.

cmdunn1972
01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
If it was a "no gifts" invite to a "sip and see" type party, I might bring something perishable like diaper wipes, diapers, or baby wash, in the brand the parents prefer.

Alternatively, I might bring a gift card/certificate (for wherever the parents shop for baby items) or cash/check for baby's education fund in whatever amount feels appropriate.

ETA: I don't feel that shower invitations imply "we're doing this just for the gifts" unless the registry information is in the invitation. Although, I think that each family tends to have their own traditions (and accompanying assumptions) with regards to this. For instance, DH's family always includes registry information in shower invitations, but I wouldn't do it.