PDA

View Full Version : Airline ticket question Re: death in family

deborah_r
01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I thought I have seen somewhere that airlines give you a lower rate if you are booking last minute due to a death in the family? Does anyone know about this?

juliasmom05
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
It's called a bereavement fare. I think most airlines have them although sometimes it's not actually the cheapest fare you can get. Usually you need documentation such as a note from the funeral home or a copy of the death certificate. I can't remember exactly what you need. Just call up the airlines and ask for the bereavement fare, and they'll tell you what you need for documentation.

Marci

jgriffin
01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Our personal experience with this (a few years ago) was that we could get cheaper rate online than with the bereavement discount. The discount was some percentage (can't remember how much) off their "published" price, which, at least from Bay Area to Iowa, was really expensive (I am pretty sure this was on United, but DH handled the arrangements).

I'd call the airline(s) and find out what you can get, but you might find it cheaper to go through someplace like Travelocity or Expedia.

JustMe
01-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, unfortunately, I had to do this twice..once when my mom died and then when my dad died. They are not at all cheap, only less expensive than a full priced fair with no discounts. I paid around $1000 each time.

The advantage is not only the amount of the fare. One one of the occasions, these were the only types of seat left on he plane that day. The other advantage is that they are open-ended on the way back, meaning that they don't charge you extra to change your departure date and usually will find seat(s) for you on your date of choice....(although this past time I worked with United and was really angry as they were unwilling to give me convenient times connections for flying back across the country alone with my 3 yr old...they did get me to my dad's funeral, which was what counted, though).

According to the rules, they are also supposed to verify the death in someway. United insisted upon speaking to the funeral home director or a dr before they would issue the ticket (although they did save it for 24 hrs, as they do with all tickets).

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

caheinz
01-09-2007, 11:53 PM
What others have said.

It's a bereavement fare. It may not be cheap, and they still may not be able to get you on a flight that you want. But -- they can be open-ended -- meaning that you can change the return flight without penalty (but I would be sure to ask).

Also ask about what other fares are available, and be sure to call more than one airline. When my mom died, our range was $600 (non-bereavement, still open-ended) to $1200+ (bereavement). (Sale fares for the same flights were about $200, but had early-purchase requirements -- I had such a ticket for the very next weekend, which only got refunded after a nasty letter was written (it was with the same airline as the $1200+ fare).) Also, I'd suggest having the less involved person making the calls. (There was no way I could deal with airlines on that day, so DH made the calls.)

You also may need to be flexible. We could only get me out that day, DH flew out the next. (DS wasn't around yet.)

I think I've been able to get away with just giving the number of the funeral home. Also keep in mind that this may only be valid for immediate family -- siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and I think that's it.

Fairy
01-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Yes, I know for sure that United offers a bereavement fare. Very sorry if there has been a death in your family . . .

rlu
01-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Just dealt with this 2 weeks ago. Southwest does not offer any type of discount for bereavement. Their CS suggested we book our return flight 7 days out to get their best rate (they price each flight separately). We drove instead. Sorry for your loss.

eta:spelling

Puddy73
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I was able to get inexpensive bereavement fares from U.S. Airways on two occasions. I just had to give them the name of the funeral home and the name of the deceased. Delta's bereavement fares were actually more than online fares, so be sure to check around.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Puddy73
01-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett