PDA

View Full Version : homemade saline nose drops

DrSally
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi, yesterday at my LLL mtg, the leader was said that she doesn't use comercial preps of saline nose drops for baby b/c some contain thimerosol! I looked at the ingred of mine "little noses", and it doesn't have thimerosol, but there are other preservatives that may be irritating according to some info I googled. Does anyone make their own saline nose drops, and if so, what's your receipe. Also, she said you can express a few drops of BM and drop them in the nose, but I have no experience hand expressing and am done with the pump.

elephantmeg
01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
1/2 tsp salt to 6 oz water is what the ent docs reccomend for saline flushes post op and is what we mix if we run out of drops here :) I might keep some little noses on hand because they have glycerine in them and can be slightly healing in that regard.

DrSally
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks!

lisams
01-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't make my own saline, but love Simply Saline. It has no preservatives and has an aeresol type dispenser that gives out a very fine mist. The have a children's version too.

IMO it is the best nasal saline on the market.

DrSally
01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks, where did you get it?

lisams
01-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I get it at CVS. I'm guessing most major chain drugstores will carry it.

I'm just too lazy to make my own, and like that it comes in a sprayer that sends out a strong mist but doesn't suck gunk back in.

daisymommy
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
THeres always good ole' breastmilk! :)

DrSally
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I know, I wish I could hand express. I don't get anything from the pump anymore.