PDA

View Full Version : Anybody wanna play stylist?

JoyNChrist
01-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Ladies, I need a haircut. Like, I really, really NEED a haircut. Here's the deal...my hair is dark brown (I actually really love the color), very fine, and super straight. It's currently about 2 inches below my shoulders. I've been dying to cut it forever, but I'm married to one of those men who thinks every woman should have hair she can sit on, so I've resisted as long as I can. But it just doesn't look good long. It doesn't have enough volume or body or whatever - it looks good for about 30 minutes, then it gets all limp and straggly-looking (yeah, I think I just made up a word).

Anyway, I've been surviving with low ponytails and modified french twists, but I'm tired of it. I finally told DH last week that as much as I want him to like it, the hair has to go. I'm getting desperate. I even came really close to just walking in one of those places at the mall and getting it all chopped off yesterday. So I need to make an appointment with my stylist soon (before I do something really desperate, like cutting it myself - yikes!), but I want to have some ideas before I go to her.

So has anybody seen any really cute short haircuts lately? By short, I mean somewhere around the ears - pretty short. I'd love some pics or links...not sure exactly what I want, just something short and cute (and that doesn't require a cosmetology license to style, since I'm kind of clueless when it comes to that sort of thing). So if you have a minute and want to play hair stylist, find me some pics of stuff you like!

TIA!

jeminaal
01-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Here's a website where you can upload a picture of yourself (or use the models they have) and see what hairstyle looks best:

http://hairstyles.virtual-hairstyles.com/virtual_hairstyles.asp

There's a three-month membership fee of $14.95 if you want access to all the tools website has to offer, but there's also a free demo version that might help you decide what you like. Good luck. :)

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

Edited to add more info

Lilysmom06
01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
You probably don't want to hear this but...I would just get a trim, and wait until after the baby to get a totally new haircut. I say this because I felt the same way when I was pregnant. I had read in the Girlfriends Guide to PRegnancy not to get a new do when pregnant, because you are looking for a way to look like your pre-pregnancy self, and a haircut just isn't gonna get you there. So I waited, and in the end, I was glad. Of course, I now always wear my hair back anyway. If this doesn't relate to you, then please don't take offense!:) Maybe some new accessories would take the edge off?

Good Luck!!

Kathy

JoyNChrist
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Hmm...I'd read that too, which is another reason I've been waiting. But I was annoyed with my hair even before I got pregnant, so I'm thinking it probably isn't just the wanting to look not-pregnant thing. My only concern about getting it done before the baby gets here is I know it'd be nice to still be able to pull it into a ponytail for labor, delivery, and the first few weeks afterwards, when I'm sure fixing my hair will be pretty low on my priority list. :-)

alexsmommy
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
This is what I was thinking when I read your first post. I'm intentionally growing my hair out a little bit so it will go back in a clip for the newborn period b/c the LAST thing on my mind with DS was doing my hair. Washing it was an accomplishment. I'd wait until post baby to do anything drastic.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

boolady
01-11-2007, 10:27 PM
As someone else with very fine stick straight hair, I can only recommend that whenever you get it cut, get it cut at a place where they will take their time and know what they're doing. I have had some really bad haircuts and some really good ones, but I think that with our type of hair you need someone who will take his or her time with longish layers, razoring, or whatever you may need to give your hair some body.

kijip
01-11-2007, 10:34 PM
You are going to want that ponytail or easy up do for a little bit post partum. I have and looooovvvvee my shorter hair however, it takes work to make it look nice on a daily basis and requires a regular haircut. Most new moms have time for neither. Just my 2 cents. Still, you could have a few longer layers put in while maintaining it at ponytail feasible length and indulge in some great shampoo.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Stacy, I so agree with what Katie has written. I just got my shoulder length bob cut into a very short style last night. I used to be able to go to the grocery store or whatever and not really think about my hair. ( granted it didn't look great but it was not hideous or anything). My new hair went to bed looking all cute and woke up looking like a matted rat. Big time factor added to getting out anywhere and I am not even very particular about how I look outside the house. Also, I had major hair loss after having Kate which may be a factor in the way your hair is cut.
I think even the texture has changed. I am glad they got a better picture of what they had to work with before cutting.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Moneypenny
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm in the midst of growing out my usually short short hair right now (and I hate it!). I actually find short hair much easier than longer hair. Yes, I had to wash and dry my short hair every day, but it took all of 5 minutes. Don't let that stop you from getting a haircut you really like.

I am NOT a long hair person, and it sounds like you aren't either. I think I'll keep my hair longer through winter, but come summer, I'm chopping it all off. I like short layered pixie cuts (like Winona Ryder in the old days).

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

KrisM
01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
I had that same hair a couple weeks ago. I went to my stylist with my rules:

1. I will only blow-dry it about half the time, so it needs to look good air-dried.
2. I will not use a curling iron (kids are in the bathroom with me and I don't want that risk).
3. I will only put 1 hair product, other than shampoo, into it.

I ended up with bangs and long layers throughout. I really like it. She told me that the layers would add volume and they do. She also thinks short can be harder because it requires more work to make it look good and more trips to keep it up.

The layers are long enough that they go behind my ears or up in a ponytail.

But, for short, here is a website that I found with links to a bunch of other sites: http://www.hairfinder.com/short_hairstyles.htm

MeAndMyStar
01-12-2007, 04:17 PM
>I think I'll keep my hair longer through winter, but
>come summer, I'm chopping it all off. I like short layered
>pixie cuts (like Winona Ryder in the old days).

Me too! I'm growing my hair for Locks Of Love right now...I can't wait to get a short cut again. I'm getting sick of the long hair but I want to donate at least 12 inches, should be there by summer.

To the OP, maybe just some layers for now? If you get a terrible haircut your pg hormones could send you over the edge! And please don't go to a mall place you are not familiar with to get a drastic cut...I did...and cried on my couch for a day!

If you get some long layers, it won't be too drastic but fresh and new and remember you can always go shorter if you want but not longer...at least not immediately (Can you tell I've had too many bad haircuts?, lol!) Good luck!

teddy
01-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I'd also wait until after your baby comes for the haircut. I chopped off 8 inches just before DS turned 1. I was tired of wearing ponytails also! But my short hair does need attention and with the newborn, you may not want to get a haircut every 4 weeks.

That being said, for my haircut, I brought in a pic of Gwenyth Paltrow when she had short hair. She had a longer front that she could pin back just off her forehead with a barrette. But the back and sides were pretty short - off her neck. Anyhoo, I ended up with a very similar style that I LOVE. I have since gone shorter and more layered on top but am thinking I am going to grow the front back out to the original length of Gwenyth's so that I can pin it back. I like the piecy-choppy look rather than the smooth, so that's why I went shorter on top and in the front. But I think I just need a change after a year of it.

I also have a very good stylist who listens to me and understands what I want, even if I don't know the right words to describe it. She knows how to translate what I want into the proper cut.

I love having short hair. It's very liberating!

shilo
01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
i've had mine pretty much every length but pixie short. it's like you describe yours. dark brown, and baby fine. i do have a lot of it per square inch tho. it is mostly straight with an unattractive/uneven wave at the ends if it air dries. by far, the best length to be hitting the newborn period with, IMO would be just to the shoulders. short enough that it will dry overnight or only take 10 min to blow it dry if you need to, long enough to still get into a twist, french braid or pony (i prefer mid to low personally, but YMMV). i had mine at the shoulders with some light layering that looked pretty darn decent for the time i spent on grooming in the first 12-16 weeks. i also have a small fringe of bangs that come to about my eyebrows. so while i think my hair might be more 'stylish' when it's shorter or has been razored for a few more defined layers, it's also _a lot_ more work at that length/style, and not something i'd want to be dealing with, with a newborn.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.