PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy Coach item from Ebay?

Hippoharbor
01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I left my wallet in a shopping cart last week and need to buy a replacement. I really want a Coach wallet, but do not want to wait for the next F&F coupon event. So, I have been looking on Ebay, but I do not know what could be real or fake. I cannot even tell in person; for example, I was commenting on how much I liked a woman's purse the other day and she told me it was a fake one she had bought. So how can you tell from an Ebay purchase if you, yourself, did not buy this from a Coach store? The majority of Ebay post say "authentic", but that does not guarantee authenticity.
What do you think? Would you buy a pricey item like this from Ebay?

Thanks,
Michelle

Piglet
01-11-2007, 09:23 PM
My experience has been 50-50 so far on EBay. I got onto a Burberry kick last year and won 2 auctions - 1 for a scarf and 1 for a used handbag. The scarf arrived and looked totally authentic - tags attached and everything. I was thrilled... until I went to a boutique and actually saw a Burberry scarf. Mine looks identical, but isn't buttery soft like a real Burberry scarf. The used purse was genuine, but smaller IRL than it looked in the listing. No complaints, but I wish I had bothered to pull out a measuring tape before bidding, since it is too small to really get a lot of use. I am still thrilled that the purse is genuine and didn't cost a fortune.

I don't have much advice - I thought my stuff was the real deal and did a lot of background checking before ordering (both sellers had lots of great feedback). Neither item was cheap either, so that wasn't a giveaway. I think the novelty wore off for me though, becuase I haven't looked at Burberry again. Now I just try to buy nice items in real stores, name brand or not.

jgiovagn
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I would and I did! I was VERY happy with my purchase. It was one I saw in the outlet and passed up originally. When I went back for it, they were out. I got it on eBay (new) for $40 less than the outlet price, including shipping. And I didn't have to pay tax. My friend did the same and was also pleased with her purchase.

As far as how to tell fakes, I think there is, somewhere on eBay, a "guide" to that very topic. Can't rememeber where I saw it. But do take a look at the seller feedback. Make sure the seller has lots of feedback and that it's all positive (or that any negatives don't reference items being fake).

Good luck!

Jean

mommyoftwo
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I know it can be and iffy thing to buy coach off of ebay but my husband got me a wristlet for christmas last year that was genuine for a really good price and I love it. I think PP's have good advice on how to look for fakes.

tny915
01-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I bought a Coach wallet off eBay a couple years ago. I had the same doubts as you, but the seller had great feedback so I went for it and was quite pleased. Just make sure you have a good feel for the seller.

I'd also be more inclined to buy a wallet as opposed to a purse, because if it does turn out to be fake, at least you haven't spent a tremendous amount of money. Wouldn't eBay or Paypal help you out if an item advertised as authentic turned out to be a fake? I would think that would be a fraudulent sale.

BillK
01-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I HOPE you all buy Coach stuff off of Ebay since my wife is in the process of preparing her entire collection of all things Coach for Ebay! :P

mommyoftwo
01-12-2007, 12:24 PM
You'll have to give us all a heads up. I'm sure there will be many interested people knowing that we have a reliable person selling them.

squimp
01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
It's like buying most anything else on ebay. You have to know what you're looking for, and learn about the seller. There are all kinds of fakes on ebay (including Janie and Jack kids' clothes), so you do have to be careful. I bought a Coach purse on ebay, and I'd do it again.

BillK
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Well...truth be told - she already has 2 listed - a Willis bag and some kind of backpack thinger - they both end today. Here are the links (if that's allowed - if not feel free to delete the links and pm me for them).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130066720801&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130066743363&rd=1&rd=1