PDA

View Full Version : A question about mods

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
This question is in no way questioning the choice of Erica or Hillary, as I (heart) them both.

How are mods chosen? I'm asking because I want to be a mod, but, to my chagrin, have never been asked. :( (lol)

Jeanne
01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Good Question Candy. Your guess is as good as mine.

denna
01-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I (heart) both Hilary and Erica too and have no time to actually be a mod I was just curious about the process.

MartiesMom2B
01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
They are appointed by current moderators. The moderator potentials are of course asked if they want to do it beforehand.

If you want to be a moderator, I'd suggest you let the four of them know.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Ah. As I have questioned some mod decisions, I don't think that will happen. Oops.

trumansmom
01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Candy- As opposed to popular belief, mods aren't selected for marching in lockstep. An independent personality is a plus. However, there are thousands of people on the board, hundreds of regulars, so not everyone gets to be a mod.

And for the record, as a former mod, I can guarantee you mods do NOT agree on every decision. However the one thing I think all present and past mods would agree on is that too many people gun for you just because of the icon. It's like a bullseye. Like elliput and Fairy already drawing fire before they even had a chance to begin. People complain of bias, but it goes both ways.

And now I'm completely removing myself (or at least trying to) from any present or future discussion about mods. I'm really glad I stepped down.

Edited to try to remove some weird attachment that DD so helpfully added. It didn't work.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

cmdunn1972
01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Candy, honestly if I had known you were interested I certainly would have considered it!

It can be time-consuming and draining sometimes. It can also be extremely difficult to not take it personally when people gun for you (sometimes seemingly all mob-fashion). I'm only saying this, because while it's an honor to be asked, it's also a dubious one at times.

There are times when I find it hard to keep the ol' Irish temper in check, especially when I'm tired of being abused. What can I say, but I'm human?

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I certainly appreciated you as a mod. I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with so much crap.

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Colleen,

I hear what you're saying. People like to fight "the man". LOL. Did you ever think you'd be considered the "man"?

buddyleebaby
01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Like elliput and Fairy already drawing fire before
>they even had a chance to begin. People complain of bias, but
>it goes both ways.

To be fair, Fairy did very recently post a "if you don't like it, leave" response in a thread about the Mods, and I think that is fresh in many people's minds. While I agree with most of what she said in that post (about it ultimately being the Fields call, etc.), the attitude of "shut up or leave" makes me sad.
That being said, that was before she was a moderator, so I am willing to give her a fair shot.

Welcome aboard, ladies. Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

cmdunn1972
01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
LOL Not in a million years. I about fell off my chair when I was asked! :)

Fairy
01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Candy, as you know, I (heart) you, too! I also heart me some Twizzlers and Dots. Not so much on the black licorice. Nor the goobers.

Fairy
01-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Jeanne, you know I think you're just the best. My approach will be to say "what would Jeanne have done?"

And just for laughs, this is the only board I belong to for anything (well, one Star Trek board, but I'm silent on that one), so when I began lurking here, I remember seeing the mod icon and wondering, "I wonder what that little person means?"

Fairy
01-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I understand what you're trying to say. While I think the full context of what I said was somewhat misinterpreted (I didn't say 'shut up or leave,' I said after you have escalated an issue to the higher authority and are still unhappy with the disposition, then the right thing to do is leave rather than visit continued anger to the rest of the community), I chose not to exacerbate an already unhappy discussion. To be fair to me, I have historically stayed out of all flame wars and only really replied to things when I felt I could add value or humor or had my own querie to post. For years, this was my approach, and it still is when not wearing the mod hat. This one post you reference, while I stand by it, is just one post. If it changes one's opinion of me so completely, then ok. At the end of the day, I'm just a person.

-- Fairy

madelinesmom
01-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Candy,

I always am fascinated at the way you always ask the question that probably everyone is thinking but to embarrassed or not confident enough to ask... Ex: this one and the thread killer question on the bitching board a few weeks ago...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

I also bet you are the kind of friend who tells when pants are unzipped, food is in the teeth, spit in the corner of someones mouth...

I love it, I wish there were more people like you in the world... And also more people who weren't offended by people like you who are honest and sincere.

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

buddyleebaby
01-12-2007, 03:26 PM
>This one post you reference, while I stand by it, is just one
>post. If it changes one's opinion of me so completely, then
>ok. At the end of the day, I'm just a person.

I was actually going to respond to you at the time but then the boards went down, and the thread was removed, and I thought it better not to re-visit the issue. Obviously your post went into much more detail than I have posted here, and I think you summarized it nicely, albeit a bit more mildly put this time around.
I know you have never been in flame wars (nor have I), and I realize that was only one post on your part, and as I said before it was before you WERE a Mod, so I personally will not use it to judge your ability as a Mod. It's just that it was a very recent post, and so it did come to mind.
I look forward to having you as our Mod.

trumansmom
01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
>Jeanne, you know I think you're just the best. My approach
>will be to say "what would Jeanne have done?"

See? I knew you were smart!!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 04:33 PM
(((((JANE)))))

Thank you.

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Black licorice is nasty. I'm with ya.

KBecks
01-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Good question, Candy, thanks for asking it. And if you have the time, you should put your name in for the next time mods are needed.

kijip
01-12-2007, 05:33 PM
See, that is what WWJD really stands for :)

Either that or WWJJD- What would Joan Jett do?

Good rules to live by, I swear.

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I would have put my name in the hat this time, if I had known that they were looking. Which I guess is where my question came from.

shilo
01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
oh, geeze, i'm so glad i saw this... not to hijack, but i've often felt like a bit of a thread killer too :). what a liberating post to go look up, thanks candy!

and in the vein of that post - here's the link for anyone else who wants to read it :P.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=18&topic_id=38092&mesg_id=38092&listing_type=search

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

KBecks
01-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I've only rarely seen announcements that mods are needed. Sometimes there have been announcements and sometimes not, as far as I can remember (and that is not far!!!!).

Maybe a mod can tell us if they keep a running "candidate list" for interested parties or something like that. Maybe they'd start one special for you, Candy! :)

cmdunn1972
01-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Or, for the "Seinfeld" fans, WWSD (What would Superman do?) :)

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking about starting a thread about people who want to be a mod. It's going to be titled something like "Last Mod Standing" or "So you want to be a Mod." Then we'll have a series of challenges related to modship.

cmdunn1972
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM
There isn't one that I know of. When a need comes up, Alan and Denise ask us to consider some names that we can both agree on for consideration. There's no "magic formula" or list or anything.

Anything else I can do to erode the enigma that seems to go along with moderating sometimes?

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 06:38 PM
So it's actually Alan and Denise that come up with the names? I would need to pester them, and not you, Marissa, Erica, and Hilary?

Or did I misread? You and Marissa come up with the names, then submit them to A & D?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Can I come up with the challenges? Pleeeeeeease?
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

candybomiller
01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Absolutely!

cmdunn1972
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, the second part you mentioned. When a need comes up, A & D ask the current mods to think of some names. Then, we bounce our choices back and forth to each other. When we come to an agreement between ourselves, we submit our names to A & D.

megs4413
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
i love black licorice.....you're crazy! ;)

megs4413
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
DUCT TAPE CHALLENGES!