PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide when to let your sick child go back to school?

chlobo
01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
DH & I are having a disagreement over this. Assuming that you child has not had a fever in over 24 hours but still has cold symptoms, when would you let them go back?

KAK22
01-12-2007, 03:19 PM
If DC is eating and playing normally - then I say send him. If lethargic, etc - don't send.

I know some people get upset saying that your child is contagious - um no - they were contagious BEFORE they started showing symptoms!

miki
01-12-2007, 03:24 PM
If she has no fever and her energy level and behavior go back to normal, I let her go back.

jgriffin
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
When E's gotten sick with a cold, his symptoms (runny/stuffy nose and coughing) have lasted weeks. And I sure as heck don't keep him home that whole time! :) Basically, if he doesn't have a fever and is acting "normal" (normal for E, that is), I send him in.

betsydenny
01-12-2007, 05:21 PM
No fever- off they go.
I totally agree with pp's. If they have a reasonable energy level and no fever, I send them.

And I will admit there are times when I have not waited the full 24 hours either and DCs have both been fine.

HTH
Betsy

chlobo
01-12-2007, 07:30 PM
"I know some people get upset saying that your child is contagious - um no - they were contagious BEFORE they started showing symptoms!"

I thought if the child is still expectorating - either coughing or runny nose then they are still contagious. Isn't that true?

shilo
01-12-2007, 07:35 PM
someone posted this around here right after i had DS. it's a great link that answers this kind of thing for me:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_incubate_hhg.htm

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

lisams
01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Yes!!! The body sheds the virus and/or bacteria through body secretions. And you don't need a fever to be contagious, which is another one I've heard people say. If it's a virus, being on antibiotics for 24 hours doesn't make the person any less contagious (that one is true if it's a bacterial infection).

A person carrying a virus can be contagious before the symptoms and during the duration of the illness. For example, this is from the CDC:

How long is a person with flu virus contagious?
The period when an infected person is contagious depends on the age and health of the person. Studies show that most healthy adults may be able to infect others from 1 day prior to becoming sick and for 5 days after they first develop symptoms. Some young children and people with weakened immune systems may be contagious for longer than a week.

lisams
01-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm usually more conservative, mainly so DD can get rested and recover faster. If she is fever free, acting/eating/sleeping pretty normal, and doesn't have a constant cough or goopy nose then I send her. I'd rather keep her home an extra day or two to let her body rest and completely get over the cold. Usually I can tell by how she's acting, if she gets easily upset or seems to be lounging around more than normal that's a pretty good sign she's not ready to go yet. It's hard though, I've sent her when I thought she was fine and when I picked her up she looked so exhausted and worn out.

julieakc
01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Lori:

Great link - I bookmarked it.

Thanks.

squimp
01-13-2007, 04:02 AM
Our school's policy for non-fever colds is something like if they can manage the symptoms, that is if they're not coughing and sneezing and blowing snot all over the place, then they can go back. I thought that made sense. I use that as a guide, as well as if she generally seems like herself, in terms of energy levels and how she acts.