PDA

View Full Version : Some ?: BF for 15 months-no period...worry & Teeth grinding baby

andie
01-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi gang,

So my DD (born Oct. 11/06) is happy healthy and wonderful and after a few glitches we both took to BF and have kept it up for 15 months. I went back to work when she was 10.5 months, so during the day she has a bottle, but from 5pm-8am and on the weekend, the milkbar is open! I had my tubes tied when she was delivered (C-section, and one happy surprise is enough) so shouldn't really be concerned, but any other extended BF'ers NOT get a period?

Also, although she is late to getting teeth-still only has 4, she GRINDS them! (as if we needed proof that she's Daddy's little girl!). It makes us all crazy, but of course any attention she gets for it makes her laugh and do it more. Any ideas for why she might be doing this? methods to stop her?

Thanks for any input!

Andie

Mom to Chazz 9/13/99 and Ariella 10/11/06

o_mom
01-12-2007, 03:07 PM
On the no period, that is normal. I had a friend that went 2 years and didn't get it back until she weaned completely. Mine came back at 10 mos with DS1 (well, not really, but I got pregnant), and 12 months with DS2, but both were mostly night weaned at that point and eating a couple good meals of solids.

Teeth grindng is probably just a phase of making a new, fun, noise with these great new teeth! Not sure what would make her stop, though.

juliasmom05
01-12-2007, 03:12 PM
No period, completely normal. Mine came back at 18 months.

DD used to grind her teeth as well, but luckily it was just a phase. I think its pretty normal. Not sure they reason, other than she can :-) . Hopefully, she'll stop doing it soon. I don't think DD did it longer than a couple of weeks.

Marci

newnana
01-12-2007, 03:19 PM
My DD used to grind her teeth ALL the time and it drove me batty. We didn't make a big deal of it. After she got more than 4 teeth it happened rarely unless she was teething. Depends on the kiddo though, DD was much younger than yours when she was going through this, so she didn't take so much pleasure in watching me shudder yet. Good luck!
Michelle

pb&j
01-12-2007, 03:23 PM
DS ground his teeth for about two weeks, and then just stopped on his own. I guess he's just figuring out what he can do with them.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

maestramommy
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I believe the teeth grinding is rather common when you suddenly have 4 of them. Dora never did it, but other kids in our group did, and it drove their moms nuts! I think it eventually went away on its own though, once they got tired of it and moved on to something else.

Congratulations on bfing still!

hez
01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Yup-- no cycle 'til DS was 15 months (when he dropped one of his overnight sessions), and he ground his teeth for a week or two. I was very happy when the grinding stopped (on his own)!

tarynsmum
01-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, DD grinds her teeth too (she has 6). It's totally annoying, and drives DH CRAZY. I don't acknowledge it at all, and she rarely does it when she's alone with me. DH always grimaces and says something, and she does it when he's alone with her a lot. So, I'd say just to ignore it, and hope for the best. I think it's a phase (like "Hey! I have these things in my mouth and they make noise! Neat!")

ANd for the weaning thing, it's totally normal too. I got my period back at 10.5 months, after DD night weaned (i.e. starting sleeping through the night).

californiagirl
01-12-2007, 07:59 PM
DD got teeth early and went through the teeth-grinding phase. I made sure to tell everybody what the noise was to watch them wince. It stopped in a month.

And yeah, no AF that long is totally normal, particularly if you're still night-nursing.

andie
01-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks gang for your input.

I feel better already! Seems like the grinding has subsided somewhat...now I need to decide if the princess not sleeping through the night without at least one nursing session is an acceptable price to pay for not having a period ;-)!

Best to all!

Andie
Mom to Chazz 9/13/99 and Ariella 10/11/06