PDA

View Full Version : Spin off -- when do kids start writing letters & numbers?

bubbaray
01-13-2007, 06:02 PM
I got DD a Thomas the Train book at the grocery store today. She's 2.5 and basically just colors/scribbles on the pages. There is an activity page teaching the letter "c" and I tried to get her to trace over the letter, but it was a no go. When would kids be writing letters/numbers?

Anyone?

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

Marisa6826
01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Sophie didn't reliably start doing it until she started school at 3-1/2. We'd try to get her to copy us, but I honestly think it was more of a 'peer pressure' thing.

-m

egoldber
01-13-2007, 07:40 PM
"When would kids be writing letters/numbers?"

When their fine motor coordination is advanced enough to do it. :) For most kids that somewhere between 3 and 4, but for some not until 4+.

bubbaray
01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks ladies! I wasn't worried, but just wondering if it was yet another thing I was supposed to be 'working on' with her that hadn't really crossed my mind yet! ;)

At this point, I think I'd just be happy if she held her crayons/markers properly, but I'm not sweating that either. In fact, its a good day when she colors on the book/paper, as opposed to the table or herself. Thankfully, we are a Washable Crayola household, LOL!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

o_mom
01-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Around 3, DS1 could trace (not very well) letters and numbers. He loved having me write them in pencil and then he would use a pen to trace them. It is all over the place, still, but he can sort of "write" his name this way.

lisams
01-13-2007, 08:07 PM
DD started writing the letters in her name around 3 1/2. Before that she had zero interest is writing anything, and that includes drawing pictures!! It happened all of the sudden!

mamicka
01-13-2007, 08:14 PM
DS wanted to start writing his thank-you notes after his 2nd birthday party. Not even close to legible, mind you, but he tried. He's gotten better at it, now at 3.5. I think he was unusual in his interest & know many 4 year-olds who aren't interested yet & I think that's more normal.

Allison
Surprise #3 due 7/07

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Depends on the child.

My ds is 4.5 and does not write yet.

Many of the girls in his class are working on it and the boys that are closer to 5 are doing it some. But, there seems to be no hard and fast rule.

If the interest isn't there then you may just have to wait.

ALso, his teacher (after telling me that they are not going to push it with ds) said that all kids do better writing with wider implements. SO, if you can, find some of those chubby Crayolas.

2.5 yo is awfully young for letter and number writing. That is a fine motor skill that I would be surprised to find with the average 2.5yo.

Wish I could find a good link but there are certain milestones that kids go through with regards to art and fine motor skills. Google didn't turn up anything with my (ill worded) queary. :)

Beth

lizajane
01-13-2007, 11:12 PM
schuyler has the fine motor skills but not the patience at 3.5. he can write an "s" and sometimes another letter here or there. but after about 2 minutes of "let's work on this together, i will draw one, then you trace one, then you write one, etc" he is TOTALLY bored and on to something else. my kid is more active than others his age so i don't worry about the fact that many of his friends can write their names. ETA: not to mention the fact that i named my poor son, "schuyler!" can't really blame him if he has a little more trouble writing his name that a 3.5 year old named "will."

spanannie
01-13-2007, 11:27 PM
At 2.5, most of them can't even correctly grasp a pencil.

I'd say between 3-3.5 is the "norm" for attempting to write letters--usually the first letter of their name or their whole name. By the end of my son's 3 yr old school year, most girls were writing their name legibly and probably 1/2 of the boys. By 4, DS wasn't writing anything at all, so we started OT. Within a month, he could write his name and draw a person.

Between 3.5 - 4 they should also be able to draw a person (stick figure) and by 4 use scissors effectively. I know all of this because my son had a delay in all of the above.

My son writes probably 10 letter, a dollar sign, and the number 1 (like 1, not like just a straight line. I don't think they are expected to be able to write numbers at this point.