PDA

View Full Version : do you sneak food into the theatere?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-14-2007, 12:53 AM
spinoff from the seen a good movie thread. I was just wondering how many people do this besides us. When we were leaving the theatere the other night I saw a lot of stuff that wasn't sold at the concessions stand. Snapple,gatorade,beer bottles. Just wondering who sneaks stuff in and what do you sneak in.

jen

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-14-2007, 12:53 AM
spinoff from the seen a good movie thread. I was just wondering how many people do this besides us. When we were leaving the theatere the other night I saw a lot of stuff that wasn't sold at the concessions stand. Snapple,gatorade,beer bottles. Just wondering who sneaks stuff in and what do you sneak in.

jen

madelinesmom
01-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Every time we go. Sometimes drinks, but usually Haribo Gummy Bears... After paying for the movie, baby sitter, and dinner... well you get the idea...

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

madelinesmom
01-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Every time we go. Sometimes drinks, but usually Haribo Gummy Bears... After paying for the movie, baby sitter, and dinner... well you get the idea...

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

megs4413
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
almost always....

but just a funny note...we went from eating in the mall's food court to the theater one day and DH had a soda with him from the food court, i insisted the theater would make him throw it away.....but he walked right in SIPPING it in front of the tickettaker and the guy didn't say a thing....it was a "regal" theater if anyone's interested.....just thought it was funny cause i've been known to back a really big purse for the theater...but DH just strolled in!

megs4413
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
almost always....

but just a funny note...we went from eating in the mall's food court to the theater one day and DH had a soda with him from the food court, i insisted the theater would make him throw it away.....but he walked right in SIPPING it in front of the tickettaker and the guy didn't say a thing....it was a "regal" theater if anyone's interested.....just thought it was funny cause i've been known to back a really big purse for the theater...but DH just strolled in!

JoyNChrist
01-14-2007, 01:04 AM
We do, every single time.

I even have a special "movie purse." It's not the cutest thing in the world, but it's huge! :-)

And I don't feel a bit bad about it...

JoyNChrist
01-14-2007, 01:04 AM
We do, every single time.

I even have a special "movie purse." It's not the cutest thing in the world, but it's huge! :-)

And I don't feel a bit bad about it...

MeAndMyStar
01-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Yup. I usually take a bottle of water or soda and candy: twizzlers, sour patch kids or chocolate! Yummy. I have snuck in alcohol once or twice when I was younger! :o

MeAndMyStar
01-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Yup. I usually take a bottle of water or soda and candy: twizzlers, sour patch kids or chocolate! Yummy. I have snuck in alcohol once or twice when I was younger! :o

Marisa6826
01-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I'll usually sneak in a can of soda. I just can't stomach the thought of paying $2-3 for what amounts to $0.50 worth of carbonated hardly flavoured Coke.

Besides, I usually drink caffeine free Coke, and that's hard to find at your average concession stand.

-m

Marisa6826
01-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I'll usually sneak in a can of soda. I just can't stomach the thought of paying $2-3 for what amounts to $0.50 worth of carbonated hardly flavoured Coke.

Besides, I usually drink caffeine free Coke, and that's hard to find at your average concession stand.

-m

trumansmom
01-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Yup. DH is all sneaky about it, but I'm not. Who cares?

There was actually a news story about it here a few years ago. They interviewed theater managers and asked them if they cared. They said no. It was good enough for me! Grapes, goldfish, bottles of water, tuna fish sandwich (only once and I was really, really hungry!), you name it. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

trumansmom
01-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Yup. DH is all sneaky about it, but I'm not. Who cares?

There was actually a news story about it here a few years ago. They interviewed theater managers and asked them if they cared. They said no. It was good enough for me! Grapes, goldfish, bottles of water, tuna fish sandwich (only once and I was really, really hungry!), you name it. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

s7714
01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
In college I would sneak in food/drinks all the time--I couldn't afford the theatre prices! In fact I considered stoping at the drugstore across the street a requirement before going to the theatre. I usually bought a bottle of soda and some candy and just stashed them in my purse. I knew people that even brought their own bag of popcorn, but I never went that far. I haven't done it lately, but that's only because I haven't been to a movie theatre in ages!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

s7714
01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
In college I would sneak in food/drinks all the time--I couldn't afford the theatre prices! In fact I considered stoping at the drugstore across the street a requirement before going to the theatre. I usually bought a bottle of soda and some candy and just stashed them in my purse. I knew people that even brought their own bag of popcorn, but I never went that far. I haven't done it lately, but that's only because I haven't been to a movie theatre in ages!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Hallie_D
01-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Junior Mints for me and Twizzlers for DH...who wants to pay $4 per candy?

Once, a long time ago, DH snuck in leftover Chinese food. In my (big) purse. It spilled. In my purse. Needless to say, we've stuck to sealed candy ever since.

Hallie_D
01-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Junior Mints for me and Twizzlers for DH...who wants to pay $4 per candy?

Once, a long time ago, DH snuck in leftover Chinese food. In my (big) purse. It spilled. In my purse. Needless to say, we've stuck to sealed candy ever since.

buddyleebaby
01-14-2007, 02:57 AM
my movie theater does bag inspections.
you are allowed small bottled water and that's it.

welcome to NY.

buddyleebaby
01-14-2007, 02:57 AM
my movie theater does bag inspections.
you are allowed small bottled water and that's it.

welcome to NY.

shilo
01-14-2007, 03:07 AM
yeah, although around here, you don't really have to 'sneak' it anymore. most of the mega-theater complexes are all built with starbucks and jambajuice and world wraps and ben & jerry's, etc. right next door. it must be part of the contract or something, b/c the ticket takers let all of that go by. they never bother me with my bottle of water and bag of 'smart food' or yogurt dipped pretzles. DH usually picks up some milk duds or whoppers if i hit the store to stock up before a movie. sometimes, i'll even pop a bag of popcorn before i go and carry that in - but sometimes, you know, you just crave that disgustingly salty movie theater popcorn. i do have a 'special' movie purse (basically just a big over the shoulder bag) that i will load water/soda/nibblies into if i'm going with multiple people, but it's open at the top and the ticket takers never seem to give it a second glance. and at $10.50 a ticket, you'd have a hard time selling me on the concept that the theatre is relying on soley on the concessions to stay in business, that they don't 'make' anything on the tickets themselves. umm-yeah, i don't think so - i could be wrong here, but, i don't think so :).

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
01-14-2007, 03:07 AM
yeah, although around here, you don't really have to 'sneak' it anymore. most of the mega-theater complexes are all built with starbucks and jambajuice and world wraps and ben & jerry's, etc. right next door. it must be part of the contract or something, b/c the ticket takers let all of that go by. they never bother me with my bottle of water and bag of 'smart food' or yogurt dipped pretzles. DH usually picks up some milk duds or whoppers if i hit the store to stock up before a movie. sometimes, i'll even pop a bag of popcorn before i go and carry that in - but sometimes, you know, you just crave that disgustingly salty movie theater popcorn. i do have a 'special' movie purse (basically just a big over the shoulder bag) that i will load water/soda/nibblies into if i'm going with multiple people, but it's open at the top and the ticket takers never seem to give it a second glance. and at $10.50 a ticket, you'd have a hard time selling me on the concept that the theatre is relying on soley on the concessions to stay in business, that they don't 'make' anything on the tickets themselves. umm-yeah, i don't think so - i could be wrong here, but, i don't think so :).

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

jenjenfirenjen
01-14-2007, 07:12 AM
yup. where i grew up, all he movie theater concession stands sell these big pickles. i LOVE pickles so i always got one. it's just ingrained in my head...movie=pickle. but up here in the NE, they don't do pickles at the movies. so i buy a big jar at costco and bring my own. not that i've gone to a movie since my ds1 was born - 2+ years :-(

jenjenfirenjen
01-14-2007, 07:12 AM
yup. where i grew up, all he movie theater concession stands sell these big pickles. i LOVE pickles so i always got one. it's just ingrained in my head...movie=pickle. but up here in the NE, they don't do pickles at the movies. so i buy a big jar at costco and bring my own. not that i've gone to a movie since my ds1 was born - 2+ years :-(

dylansnan
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll bring my own candy or other snack, and a drink, but buy pop-corn there. I love movie theater pop-corn.
I worked in a Movie theater during highschool and college. We didn't care if people brought food in, our only polcy was no-glass. We had people bring entire pizzas in at one point :-)

But I do have to comment, that (at least at the time) it was totally true that the theater did not make money off ticket sales, it was something ridiculus like 6 cents a ticket. All of that money goes to movie studios, directors, actors...... I mean, how do think some actors get paid 30 million a movie.

dylansnan
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll bring my own candy or other snack, and a drink, but buy pop-corn there. I love movie theater pop-corn.
I worked in a Movie theater during highschool and college. We didn't care if people brought food in, our only polcy was no-glass. We had people bring entire pizzas in at one point :-)

But I do have to comment, that (at least at the time) it was totally true that the theater did not make money off ticket sales, it was something ridiculus like 6 cents a ticket. All of that money goes to movie studios, directors, actors...... I mean, how do think some actors get paid 30 million a movie.

teachermommy
01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
We just went to Charolette's Web yesterday. I snuck in a big bottle of water, but bought the popcorn. I hate paying $3 for a bottle of water I can buy at Costco in a case for way cheaper.

I once went to a movie with my MIL and FIL. She snuck in a whole bucket of KFC chicken under her big wool coat. How embarrassing!! The whole theatre smelled like greasy chicken by the time the movie was over.

teachermommy
01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
We just went to Charolette's Web yesterday. I snuck in a big bottle of water, but bought the popcorn. I hate paying $3 for a bottle of water I can buy at Costco in a case for way cheaper.

I once went to a movie with my MIL and FIL. She snuck in a whole bucket of KFC chicken under her big wool coat. How embarrassing!! The whole theatre smelled like greasy chicken by the time the movie was over.

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
It's funny b/c 2 weeks ago ds, dh and I went to the movies together. As we were getting ready to leave I was throwing some Christmas candy in my purse while in the other room ds was asking dh if we could take candy with us. Dh said, "you're not allowed to to that," then he notices what I am doing. :)

If it is just me and dh I sometimes sneak candy in. But, I guess I should try to be a better role model for ds.

I just didn't want that much candy...if I have a big box of movie candy I may eat it. Instead I could eat one small pack of M&Ms. Our movie theater used to have a vending machine where you could pay $.25 for a handful of M&Ms, all those Hershey's nibbles, Skittles...but in the past 2 months they got rid of those machines. I loved those. :(

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
It's funny b/c 2 weeks ago ds, dh and I went to the movies together. As we were getting ready to leave I was throwing some Christmas candy in my purse while in the other room ds was asking dh if we could take candy with us. Dh said, "you're not allowed to to that," then he notices what I am doing. :)

If it is just me and dh I sometimes sneak candy in. But, I guess I should try to be a better role model for ds.

I just didn't want that much candy...if I have a big box of movie candy I may eat it. Instead I could eat one small pack of M&Ms. Our movie theater used to have a vending machine where you could pay $.25 for a handful of M&Ms, all those Hershey's nibbles, Skittles...but in the past 2 months they got rid of those machines. I loved those. :(

Beth

bonbon98
01-14-2007, 10:56 AM
In high school, my sister and I used to take Taco Bell and McDonald's in with us.

Nowadays, I usually bring a small bottle of water and a package of fruit snacks for each child. I also bring extra sandwich bags to divvy up the popcorn - nothing beats movie theatre popcorn!!

Bonny
Mom to E&E 5/7/02

bonbon98
01-14-2007, 10:56 AM
In high school, my sister and I used to take Taco Bell and McDonald's in with us.

Nowadays, I usually bring a small bottle of water and a package of fruit snacks for each child. I also bring extra sandwich bags to divvy up the popcorn - nothing beats movie theatre popcorn!!

Bonny
Mom to E&E 5/7/02

Mommy_Again
01-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes, I delicately balanced a Starbucks in the bottom of my Louis Vuitton purse yesterday. It was such a stupid move with my Blackberry and cell phone inside. You should have seen me clutching the purse and trying to glide/walk so I didnt bounce the coffee out. But I really wanted a Starbucks during my movie! Of course I got up to use the restroom and saw three ladies walking right in HOLDING their Starbucks....

Mommy_Again
01-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes, I delicately balanced a Starbucks in the bottom of my Louis Vuitton purse yesterday. It was such a stupid move with my Blackberry and cell phone inside. You should have seen me clutching the purse and trying to glide/walk so I didnt bounce the coffee out. But I really wanted a Starbucks during my movie! Of course I got up to use the restroom and saw three ladies walking right in HOLDING their Starbucks....

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I can not remember a movie i have seen that i did not bring some type of food into, but i do not remember "sneaking" the food in. I will often pick up lunch/dinner with my friend and we will eat before/during the movie. Last week i went in with my Coffee Bean, i once went to the market that is in the mall with the movie theater and bought some snacks and fruit and brought that with me.

No one has ever said anything, and i usually get a drink from the concession stands (i love fountain soda).

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

nov04
01-14-2007, 01:31 PM
always. I refuse to pay for arcades, stupid decorations, bars, and more square footage than anyone needs to watch a movie!!!

tarabenet
01-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Loving this thread! I'm such a rule-follower kinda girl. I feel guilty if I sneak somthing in. And I love movie popcorn and a gigantic Diet Coke, so the ridiculous prices are just a special splurge to me. I can't stand Pepsi, so any time I'm going to a non-Coke theater, you bet I've got a can or two in a big purse. But I only take in stuff that I know I can't get there. Maybe I'll get braver after this.

TraciG
01-14-2007, 02:40 PM
at the theatre my parent's go to after you finish the bag of popcorn you can get it filled up again for free, so now my father saves the bags, he brings it home so when he goes to the movies the next time he just brings the bag & get's free popcorn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We sometimes stop at 7 eleven for chocolate or some kind of junk food !

1ceng1
01-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't sneak food in, I just carry it in in plain sight. No one ever seems to care.

Jenn98
01-14-2007, 03:18 PM
with so manyof you saying you just walk right in with it I was wondering if it actually posted anywhere that you cannot bring in outside food? I'll have to look next time I go, but I don't think it's actuallyposted any where. Maybe the theaters are just relying on the assumption that we all think we shouldn't bring it in!

KBecks
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
no

chiqanita
01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
WHEN we went to the movies we always brought our own candies but always purchased a beverage and popcorn.

When I was a kid my mom always had individual baggies of popcorn in her purse along with, soda cans, bean burritos, and candy. She was a single mom so I don't blame her at all. I miss those bean burritos!

bisous
01-14-2007, 07:44 PM
You know, I have in the past many, many times. As my child grows older I start thinking about the ethics of bringing in anything that could ostensibly be bought at concessions. This is one of those somewhat fuzzy areas. It certainly doesn't concern me if I am with anyone who does that but for myself I'm starting to question the idea. The one that kills me is a water bottle! Paying that much for water really should be against the law. I suppose if I need to hydrate myself I could just go to the drinking fountain but what a drag!

On the other hand, I often don't want anything at the concession stand. Its generally all junk whereas I usually bring something like a half sandwich, fruit and string cheese. Since those are patently not offered, I think I would bring them and talk to the manager if the staff had any problem.

To some extent I get a free pass because I have a son with Diabetes. Add to toddler pickiness and food allergies the restrictions that come with the kind of diet that he needs to observe. I am quite overt about bringing special food for him and noone has ever batted an eye.

Fairy
01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, we do. Never used to, it was just easier to pay the stupid-money prices at the movies. But then a while ago either prices jacked up big time or I just woke up, not sure which, but I paid like $3.50 for the small bottled water and more than $4 for twizzlers. I was like, what, now? So, now in winter I sneak in a can of pop in my pockets and a big box of Dots in my bra. With these boobs, I could hide a small plane in there, so that's easy. If I wear the right jacket, I can hide a venti Iced Tea in the inside pocket. Yes, I feel kind of bad, but I give alot in charity . . .

bostonsmama
01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, although the theater we attend explicitly allows it. They're just counting on the fact that most people will still crave and desire to spend money at the concession stand, which they do....and line up in droves.

Sometimes we'll take popcorn (since we only eat organic popcorn) we made at home, although most of the time it's not as crisp and fresh as when first made. Other times we'll stop at the grocery store on the way and pick up some pringles for DH, pretzels for me, and some bottled green tea or a diet coke.

Back when we had money to throw around and went to the fancy theaters, we'd just not get anything. One time, I begged DH for a soda since I was dying of thirst. When he finally relented, I nastily snapped that he better not get me the smallest one b/c he was being cheap. I wanted a big one. Well I kid you not, the man came back with a Sprite that was about 2 feet tall and cost $9!!! I about crapped my pants....smug little sucker said he did it out of spite...
"You said you didn't want a small one...."

Umm, yeah, we don't do that anymore. No one should be consuming that much HFCS.

lisams
01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
I love splurging on a fresh bag of popcorn and soda with ice, it's like a special treat and we don't go that often (maybe twice a year!). How silly that I feel like that's a big splurge?!!! With DD though, I do bring snacks. Before I allowed her to eat popcorn I would pack a sandwich bag of Pirate Booty as her "popcorn" and a juice box and sometimes some fruit snacks.

crAbbymom
01-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Here's a way around it...

My sister hid stuff under my nephew in his infant carrier! It was too funny, but it worked! :D

Lovingliv
01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Always, that is half the fun!

If they sold smart pop and diet caffeine free coke I might buy it there.....no....actually I would probably just sneak it in. I even have a special purse for the occasions!

khalloc
01-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I always sneak in soda. I cannot justify spending $5 on a fountain soda that probably cost $.20 to make.

I just buy the popcorn there. If I was going to get candy I would bring that with me as well. They just charge so much at the theater!

candybomiller
01-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I used to go to the movies specifically to get the nachos. One time they were out of chips, so I ran to the grocery store, bought a bag of chips and they gave me the nacho container filled with cheese. I got a lot of funny looks from other patrons for carrying in a huge bag of tortilla chips, but the people working at the theater didn't say a word.

kijip
01-15-2007, 01:56 PM
I have never had any ticket taker bat an eye at the coffee or tea I carry right past them. The places we go sell bulk candy so if we feel like candy we just get a few pieces.

Movie theatre employees around me just don't seem all that gung ho on enforcing the rule. And who can blame them? It is not like they get a comission added to their $7.25 an hour paycheck for chasing out snacks.

stefani
01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
DH and FIL had a small bottled water each, and they confiscated that! Even though we had a big tub of popcorn between the 5 of us (FIL, MIL, DH, Me, DS).

:-(