PDA

View Full Version : Dry Skin Help

jenjenfirenjen
01-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes! Every year my hands get so dry and cracked that they bleed...until I found this cream:

http://www.farmaesthetics.com/products.aspx?productId=136&categoryId=0

It's not cheap but it's very rich and thick and a little goes a long way. I only need one jar per winter. I swear it is the best stuff.

I also sleep witha humidifier in my room and have seen a real difference in the overall hydration of my skin since I started doing that.

jenjenfirenjen
01-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes! Every year my hands get so dry and cracked that they bleed...until I found this cream:

http://www.farmaesthetics.com/products.aspx?productId=136&categoryId=0

It's not cheap but it's very rich and thick and a little goes a long way. I only need one jar per winter. I swear it is the best stuff.

I also sleep witha humidifier in my room and have seen a real difference in the overall hydration of my skin since I started doing that.

mommy111
01-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Same here. Humidifier really helps. I also got one of the body butters (?cocoa or shea) from the bath and body works sale, huge jar, only $6 and its worked wonders on my skin. The problem with most moisteurizers is that they're not thick/oily enough for my dry skin.
On, and also, my favourite hand lotion/cream is new hands by neutrogena, its absolutely AWESOME!!!!

mommy111
01-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Same here. Humidifier really helps. I also got one of the body butters (?cocoa or shea) from the bath and body works sale, huge jar, only $6 and its worked wonders on my skin. The problem with most moisteurizers is that they're not thick/oily enough for my dry skin.
On, and also, my favourite hand lotion/cream is new hands by neutrogena, its absolutely AWESOME!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Eucerin.

~Beth

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Eucerin.

~Beth

elephantmeg
01-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I bought a dove moisture body wash a few winters ago (still using it) and that's helped. I hate to slather on lotion!

spunkybaby
01-14-2007, 12:26 PM
My hands have been superdry/cracking too. My cousin gave me a hand recovery/hand therapy gift set from Crabtree & Evelyn. It's wonderful! Much better than the L'Occitane hand cream that I finally broke down and bought based on all the rave reviews I had seen in the past.

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/hand-cream-goa107279.html

Mom to a spunky toddler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)

DrSally
01-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Ouch! Yes Eucerin, DH puts on lotion first, then the cream (thick and heavy. Maybe put some old socks over your hands too when you go to bed. If they're cracked really bad maybe you need some antibiotic cream on them too?? Oh, and if you wash with antibacterial soap, try to find one without that ingredient, it's harsh. Dove makes a handsoap.

psophia17
01-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Diaper rash cream, constant hand washing, very cold weather, and space heaters are killing my hands - 24 hours of Avon Care Deeply lotion has my hands almost back to normal, and the cracks at my knuckles have healed already. Great stuff!

fortato
01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
If you lived closer, I would recommend a product from Elizabeth Grady - called Handsilk- It's my favorite. (They are mainly in the Northeast) It's become my gift to all my momma friends- after all the handwashing and stuff that comes along with having a new baby, this is the one product that I think works.

Another thing to try is doing the whole MaryKay Satin Hands thing. That's a good treatment.

Good luck!!

Kristen

Tondi G
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Aquaphor! I also like the Aveeno Baby Soothing relief Moisture Cream!

Fairy
01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Ok, I definitely have a remedy. Lansinoh. I'm telling you, it's the only thing -- ONLY thing -- that helps my dry, cracked, disgusting and painful knuckles and fingers. Yes, it's sticky and gooey, and I've never tried it on other areas that impact clothing, like the back and the legs, but on my fingers, it's been a godsend for me. I've become a germaphobe since DS was born, so I wash and purell my hands almost (not quite) OCD. Well, I've backed off a bit, but when my fingers get very bad, and I mean reeeeeal bad, I slather on the lansinoh on my knuckles and fingers before I lay down to sleep, and if it gets on the sheets oh well. Literlaly three days later, my fingers are almost back to normal. It's chronic, so I do this every time there's an outbreak, but I urge you to try it. I really hope it works for you!!!

-- Fairy

julieakc
01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
This cold dry weather is killing me. My skin is so dry and itchy that I am actually getting a red rash in some areas from the friction of my clothes and the friction of my nails rubbing back and forth on my skin! My hands, especially my knuckles are disgustinly dry and cracked. I have been slathering on the lotion but it is only having minimal effect.

Anyone have a great lotion/cream/oil that the love and can help me feel human again instead of like I have the skin of a rhinocerous.

julieakc
01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
This cold dry weather is killing me. My skin is so dry and itchy that I am actually getting a red rash in some areas from the friction of my clothes and the friction of my nails rubbing back and forth on my skin! My hands, especially my knuckles are disgustinly dry and cracked. I have been slathering on the lotion but it is only having minimal effect.

Anyone have a great lotion/cream/oil that the love and can help me feel human again instead of like I have the skin of a rhinocerous.

julieakc
01-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tonight I am going to try the Laninosh because I have some of that already. Tomorrow I am off to pick up some of the other suggestions and give them a try too.

julieakc
01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Sunday night I tried Fairy's idea about the Lansinoh. I put a thick coating all over my hands, expecially my knuckles and then put on some cotton gloves just for this type of treatment. Monday my hands were greatly improved and the benefits lasted all day!

Monday I made a run to costco and bought Cetaphil Lotion, Dove body wash (2 pack that came with Dove hand soap too), and Eucerin's Aquaphor. The combination of these products....washing with the Dove, Cetaphil for my body (and hands during the day) and either the Lansinoh or Eucerin at night on the hands and feet has made a tremondous difference.

The other products suggested look good too, but I wasn't able to make it to the mall....just costco so I had to work with what was available there.

Feeling like a human again thanks to all of you.:D

hudsonam
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I have such dry skin, and have my entire life, that I use a prescription cream. But I finally, after trying every single lotion, cream and oil on the market since childhood, have found a cream that works almost as well as my prescription - Cetaphil cream - the one in the big tub. I started using it when I was pregnant, since they didn't know for sure if my prescription was Ok to use, and I couldn't believe how well it worked. I'm now using it exclusively, and I live in the Northeast and it's winter, which is just crazy to me.

You can also find a lotion like my prescription (Lac-Hydrin) OTC called AM Lactin. It works almost as well as the prescription.

As for hand cream, not one thing can beat Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. It is the only thing that works well for me and lasts.

HTH!! :)

bubbaray
01-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Petra, try GlaxoBase. The cream is great for cracks, heels and baby skin. The lotion is great for hands. Costco has the best price on the "vat" of cream. The lotion is in tubes at most drugstores.

Its not available in the US.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

jamiegirl
01-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Hands down,

Neutrogena body oil (light sesame scent).

npace19147
01-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Yup, Cetaphil cream in the tub is much better than the lotion in the pump - much thicker and creamier. I use a small spatula to help get it out b/c I'm not crazy about the tub setup, but definitely more effective.