PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a Shopping intervention

Radosti
01-14-2007, 11:23 PM
I have lost it. I have always been a bargain hunter, but I've gone overboard now. I had purchased a lot of stuff at Gymboree before the new year and I had $100 in Gymbucks. I went to spend them this past Friday. My neighbor asked me to pick up some stuff for her son in 2T if it was very cheap on sale. I didn't really have anything in mind that I needed to buy, but I figured I'd buy stuff that was on deep discount for my DS and also for my niece.

I found a few things in 3T for DS (he wears a 2T now), then I found a cute matching top and leggings for my niece in 6 (she's 3 years old and wears a 5 now). Then, after much dissapointment in looking at the picked over stuff, I happened on a bunch of super cute girl's tops, all super discounted. Only problem was that they were a size 9. I still bought them. I managed to convince myself that my niece would wear a size 9 soon enough and the 5 tops were between $2.50 and $4 each (after using Gymbucks). I didn't assess the situation in my head until I got home and realized that I bought a size 9 for my 3 year old niece just because of the awesome bargain!!! How crazy is that???

After all that, I only managed to spend half of my $100 worth of Gymbucks. I went home and filled my cart up online to spend the rest when I realized how crazy that way. There was nothing in there for DS. NADA!!! It was all gifts for my niece and my friend's daughter. Both of which I already have gifts set aside for for this year. So, I didn't put the order through.

Instead, I listed my $50 in GymBucks on Craigslist and a lady came to pick them up today for $25. Then, the neighbor came over and I showed her my whole bag of purchases from Friday. I only had 3 things in there for her DS because I wasn't sure of her definition of super-cheap for Gymboree. Anyway, I ended up showing her the girls stuff I bought, then mentioned how crazy I must be to have bought so far ahead. She was loving all the tops and offered to take them off my hands for her oldest daughter to wear right now and in the spring. Then, I showed her all the stuff that my DS grew out of before I had the chance to take the tags off. It's the size her DS is right now. She ended up taking almost everything. I only took what I paid for it (if something was $8 and I only paid $4 after the gymbucks, that's what I took from her) and she ended up giving me $62 for a big bag of clothing. It's all gymboree and babygap, and children's place.

So, I unloaded a bunch of stuff, got my $62 + $25 back. But I have an entire closet full of clothing for DS to grow into. All the way to size 5. I even have 1 pair of size 6 pants. We don't use the closet for anything but storage. All the clothing he wears stays in his dresser drawers. His closet holds clothing, diapers, bath stuff. All of it was bought with coupons and deeply discounted. All of it is very cute clothing that I just can't live without. But he has 6 pairs of jeans in 3T. I bought 4 pairs and he got 2 more as birthday gifts with no gift receipts.

I think I need an intervention. You'd think so as well if you saw the closet full of stuff.

saschalicks
01-15-2007, 02:27 AM
All I can say is that I know I'm right there w/ya'. I bought the boys stuff just b/c I had to spend my gymbucks. WHAT IS WRONG W/ME????

I think we need SA Shoppers Anonymous.

KBecks
01-15-2007, 09:15 AM
OK, it sounds like you have started your recovery already -- congrats!

Here's the thing -- you need to stop shopping ahead. Period. I'll admit I bought a size 4-5 polo when Alek was 1 also. I still have it and we'll use it later.

I keep one laundry basket in Alek's closet for clothing bought ahead. It is full to the brim so that means -- stop buying ahead!!!

One thing you can do if you are bored is make an Excel inventory of all the stuff you alrady have in each size. Then you'll see all you have and won't feel like you need more. Plus it's nice to have spaces down the road so you can fill in with some fun things when you son gets to that size.

I have thought about getting underwear for Alek, but we are almost a year away from PT and I realized it was ridiculous.

Also, maybe set a clothing budget for your son. An overall household budget is a great thing too.

I'm a big believer in not buying much more than you *need*. It's hard right now in winter when the weather is poor and all the sales are going on.

Good for you for selling the clothes and the remaining Gymbucks!
Lastly stop reading any clothing forums if you're on any.

Piglet
01-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I used to buy ahead a great deal for DS1. He is currently wearing a pair of size 5 wool dress pants that I bought when he was 2. They were $12.99 at Baby Gap, and I know that every year is a struggle to find nice dress pants at a reasonable price. At the time, I bought them in every size. It used to be that Gap took returns indefinitely, so I bought ahead and filed all my receipts! Of course, there are many, many items that he never really grew into or grew into in the wrong season. All that wouldn't have been much of a deterrent because I had DS2 and knew that some of the lesser-worn items would get a second chance with DS2.

The thing that did put an end to buying ahead, other than Gap changing their return policy, was DS1's clothing preferences. I used to be able to buy what *I* liked and DS would wear it no questions asked. Last year I had a bunch of jeans for him and he refused to wear them - they weren't as comfy as rugby pants/sweats. This past year I had bought lots of sweats in his current size, but he decided that he prefers jeans, LOL! I learned my lesson - I buy things that I can return if he doesn't find them comfy and I buy things much closer to the seaason when we will be needing them, since his tastes change. I am not a slave to his every clothing whim, but I respect the comfort issue. I would love to be in sweat pants all day if I could!

I also like the thrill of the bargain hunt, but I temper it with the knowledge that I also like buying cute things as I see them and would be bored if I couldn't shop for kids clothes because I already had a full closet. It's not like buying canned corn - there is non need to have an inventory, just in case you run out! There will always be better sales, cuter clothes, changing tastes, etc.