PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to Thailand? Update....

sdoyle
01-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey guys! I need a little advice on something I am having trouble deciding.

My BIL (DHs bro) is getting married in Thailand this Spring. DH really wants me to go and says it is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. DD will be 8mo old and we can take her to stay with my parents and family while we are gone. Here's the problems:

1) The location is on a remote island. Fly to Bangkok, 2nd flight the next day to another city, 2.5 hour cab to a city to catch a 4-6 hour ferry to get close to the island. Hire someone with a fishing boat to take us the rest of the way.

2) Thailand's military staged a coup this fall and overthrew the government.

3) 6 bombings in Bangkok on New Year's Eve injuring 30 something people and killing a few more.

My IL's think I am being crazy because apparently Thailand is otherwise pretty peaceful usually. Would you go? I really want to go with DH but am worried about the distance and the political climate. DD is still so young. Am I being silly? Please help me, I'm really torn.

ETA: Thanks everyone for your responses. Like a PP said, I definately would have gone no questions asked prior to DD but if something happened, I would feel terrible now. Boy, kids sure change things!!

I talked to my parents tonight and they are really excited about keeping DD so I feel pretty comfortable with that. We will only be gone about 10 days so I hate to take her for such a short time. She would spend the whole time jet lagged! I'm leaning toward going but we'll see if I can go through with it. I got my ticket refundable just in case I wimp out. My goodness, I'll miss DD.

I promise to post some pics if I make it!

Thanks again!! Boy, I appreciate you guys!!

Stacy

Marisa6826
01-15-2007, 12:08 AM
I would TOTALLY go!

If you're that worried about your safety, get travel insurance when you make your arrangements, and then just before you're scheduled to leave check and see if the US Embassy has issued any alerts specific to Thailand.

Since you're going to be in a remote location, I don't think you need to be concerned about any sort of political repercussions such as targeted violence.

What an awesome adventure!

Don't forget that you should check to make sure you have any applicable immunisations. Not sure if you need anything different to travel there.

Keep us posted!

-m

fortato
01-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Numbers 2 and 3 pretty much keep me home- send a blender or something.

Kristen

MarisaSF
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
In general, I'd go to Thailand in a heartbeat (and have been several times). However, you're BIL is certainly not making travel very easy -- holy cow!

Thailand is very safe in general. From your message, it seems like you won't be taking the baby, is that right? Traveling all that distance with a baby would not be my choice, but without the baby, it would be super!

luvmypeanut
01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
GO!

I love Thailand and have been there several times. Don't much care for Bangkok but the palace is a must see if you're there.

Will the travel arrangements once you're in the country be taken care of by the wedding party? On the remote islands you're not always assured that someone can speak English (do you or someone you're traveling with speak Thai?).

Your ILs are right in that Thailand is usually very peaceful. I've never felt in danger or uncomfortable, although I've only visited the touristy areas (Phuket, Bangkok,etc). The first time I went it freaked me a little to see soldiers in the airport carrying automatic weapons, but the people are extremely nice and helpful. Check for State Dept alerts as Marisa suggested and keep a watchful eye.

You also don't want to miss out on a special event like a wedding. And Thailand has the nicest beaches I've ever seen. And I live in Hawaii. Go and have fun!

madelinesmom
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
No, I would not go. Either with or without my children. Before children, probably, but not now that I have children. Send a really nice blender as PP suggested or something off the registry. I personally would give money as an excuse of lack of babysitters, works everytime...

Jane
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

Dcclerk
01-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Absolutely go. I lived in Thailand for a year, and always felt terrifically safe. The Thai people have always adored their king and not really liked the day-to-day government. I honestly doubt that the coup would make any difference whatsoever to the daily life there.

Also, outside of Bangkok (where I actually lived), Thailand is gorgeous. Your travel will not be overly easy, but if you think of it as an adventure and don't expect it to be Americanized at all, I think it will be a blast. Thai people are so friendly, and really kind to Americans in particular (which isn't all that common nowadays). I wouldn't hesitate to go, though of course I would be the kids while I was gone.

Do you know what island you will be going to? It sounds really remote, and as such, you may want to prepare yourself for some great thatched roof huts with mosquito netting over the beds and no proper windows/doors. I like that kind of rustic living when I expect it, but when I'm thinking of a Four Seasons island resort, I might be a tad disappointed :P .

denna
01-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Honestly I would love to go Thailand sounds like such an amazing place. And I would have said GO! in a second before I had DS but now, no I would honestly not go if I were you. I dont take chances like that with or without my DC. IF something like that were to happen (the bombings) when I were there I would never forgive myself (if I survived) having brought my DC, and if he/she werent there and DH and myself had such a 'close call' I would feel horrible for coming so close to orphaning my child.

This is just my $.02 though, I would send a nice gift. And plan a trip to Thailand when DCs are older and the country is more safe.

Keep us posted on your decision :D

JBaxter
01-15-2007, 07:31 AM
I would go! My DH has a really good friend who lives in Bangkok and sends beautiful pics. We are still debating if/when we can go.

miki
01-15-2007, 07:56 AM
GO GO GO! I have been once and it was one of our best vacations ever! I heard in the news they regularly have coups, once every several years, but that life goes on as usual. The only thing I would watch out for are the people who try to talk you into buying stuff like jewelry.

pinkmomagain
01-15-2007, 08:01 AM
I know a family of 5 who just came back from Thailand and they had a great time. The kids are approx 12, 9, and 8 years old. I don't know any details, just that they had a fabulous (safe) time.

Gina

KBecks
01-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes, I would go. I like travel.

Getting there may be a PITA, but I think it would be fun.

If you dislike travel (and that's OK) then I can see the case for being miserable. But I still think you should go, just plan ahead so you can be very comfortable on the plane -- bring your books, slippers, eye mask, etc. etc. etc. Even if you don't like change and maybe would hate the food, etc. etc..... this is your husband's sibling. You could send him off by himself, if you really feel repelled by the trip.

The government stuff isn't a big deal, IMO. People still traveled in and to the US a few months after 9/11. We have bombings too, these things are rare and you're more likely to be killed in a car crash... etc. etc.

KBecks
01-15-2007, 09:07 AM
That IS saying something if Thai beaches are nicest and you live in HI!

hillview
01-15-2007, 09:19 AM
How long could you stay for. I'd go if I could stay a couple of weeks at least. If it is a quick round trip I wouldn't go as it would be a LONG trip for a short amt of time.
/hillary

egoldber
01-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Yes, absolutely. My ILs went three years ago and had an amazing trip. Its on my list of things to do when Amy is older. I may not drag a toddler just because of all the transfers and the major time change, but an infant or an older child, sure.

daniele_ut
01-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Yup, I would go, unless the State Department issues a travel advisory in the meantime. Our church has several hundred young missionaries serving in Thailand, and if there was truly a concern for their safety, they would be pulled out. A co-worker is planning a trip there with his family this summer to pick up his missionary son and I am jealous!

I spent 4 or 5 days in Bangkok when I was 15 and traveling as a nanny with a neighbor family and it was a lot of fun. I've always dreamed of going back and seeing more of the country.

samsonsmom
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I think Thailand rocks. I lived there for a year when I was single and have traveled there many times, and have always felt very safe. Well, except when I crossed the border into Burma without so much as a flash of the passport, but that is a different story...

I agree with a PP; bombings can happen anywhere, including here. Plus if you'll be on a remote island I doubt that would exactly be a bombing target. You'd be much, much, MUCH more likely to be injured in a traffic accident. Honestly that is probably the biggest danger when traveling in a place like Thailand. Second would be food poisoning, and for that I would stay away from the places that "try" to be Western or American.

If I had the same decision to make, the hardest issue would be leaving an 8mo. I wouldn't have left our DS when he was 8mo due to breastfeeding, but it sounds like that may not be an issue for you.

There is of course the option of taking DD with, which in some ways (the flight, in particular) would be a major PITA but it has been done---many times. I have a lot of friends who have traveled there with babies of all ages, and if you go you will see lots of "farangs" (foreigners) with babies riding around on their backs, babies in strollers, etc. I always thought it was cool that people could pull that off. Of course, by spring it will be HOT HOT HOT there, esp. in the south (but maybe island breezes will help), which would make traveling with a baby that much more exhausting.

If it were me, I would totally go if I felt up to taking a baby with me---which I would try really hard to feel up to, esp. if it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. But if I were you, and felt ok about leaving the baby with family, I would do that and go.

Bottom line: I say go!

annasmom
01-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Honestly, I don't know much about the present situation in Thailand, but I will tell you that my sil & bil were in Thailand during the military coup, and they said you could barely tell that something was going on.

Would I go, probably not. But I am a complete chicken about these things. I haven't been on a plane yet since having dc.

marinkitty
01-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Thailand is fantastic. I've traveled all over the country and have never been somewhere I didn't enjoy, and it sounds like it would be a memorable trip.

But I personally would not leave my 8 month old at home and be that far away and inaccessible. You would never get back if anything happened.

I'd definitely look into taking the baby with you though. It might not be practical given the arrangements, e.g. for somewhere very remote you might need anti-malarial pills and I don't think I'd do that for an 8-month old even if technically safe. I would not worry about the government stuff but would check the state dept. site before traveling.

But as far as the traveling/distance/transfers, I think an 8 month old would do just fine. I've taken my kids overseas a bunch of times at all ages (my son at 6 months was the youngest) and they always did way better than I expected.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

nov04
01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
No, the commute is just too long for me or dd.

aliceinwonderland
01-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I'd go in a heartbeat but would take baby with me. I have been in a situation before where the airports closed and my parents could not fly back home, and it was a little sucky even though we were older, I knew exactly what to do, and we had my grandma watching us.

kozachka
01-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I would go in a heartbeat. DH and I flew back from Vietnam via Bangkok this past Thursday and it was as safe as can be. We spent a day (Dec 27) in Bangkok on the way in. You could not tell the coup took place. If you google it, you would see pictures of soldiers with tourists. They were specifically instructed to be nice with foreigners.

We also spent two weeks in Thailand this past May and it is one of my absolute favorite destinations. People are sooo nice. And the further away from the big cities you'd be, the safer as far as bombings are concerned.

youngmommy
01-15-2007, 10:40 AM
(With regard to the terrorism/millitary issues only.)

Just being "Devil's Advocate" here but imagine me asking the following question:

<We all live in igloos or somewhere remote.>

Please help me decide if I should go to my brother's wedding.
He's getting married in the United States. I know I can leave DC with grandparents, but I am worried about security. There was a huge terrorist attack there in 2001, and the terrorists continue to threaten the country, with plots being foiled all the time. It's just a matter of time before they are again successful. What shoud I do?

<End>

Honestly, I would get travel insurance and watch outfor any warnings issued by our government. All of this assuming you actually want to go, can afford the trip, etc. The news always makes things seem bigger than they are. I lived in Israel in 2001-2002 (before they built the fence) when there were suicide bombings on a regular basis. They were in the US news constantly. I was fine. It was dangerous to be in certain areas, but I avoided all of those places. I'll never forget the first news report I saw on Israel when I came back. I was suddenly panicking, because of the lack of information in the boradcast itself, and the overly-dramatic tone of the whole thing. When you're there, and you know some of the geography, you can understand better what's considered to be safe and what's not. The way that I knew what areas to go in is through my school. The dean issued warnigs on certain days to stay on campus, and there were general rules about places we couldn't go at all, and other places we could only go to with specific permission from the dean.

Ok, the long OT statement was basically all boiling down to the fact that news channels/magazines/newspapers are businesses, and they will dramaticize anything and everything to sell you news. Please try to get as much unbiased info as you can about the area before you make your decision. ( I know nothing about the dangers/political situation in Thailand.)

One final note will only be applicable if you believe in G-d but here we go: G-d is in charge of the world, and so long as you do not make decisions that are overtly negligent in your life, the outcome is up to Him. The relaionships you sustain, however, are up to you. I would encourage you to weigh the information you get about the locale with your family relationships.

I hope all of that came across as helpful, as that's my intention.

maestramommy
01-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Honestly the hardest thing on my mind would be the flight overseas. I would check with government advisories to make sure everything is still stable enough for tourists. But if Dh had to go somewhere that far for a wedding, HE WOULD NOT BE GOING WITHOUT ME. Call me irrational, but I have crazy fears about him dying somewhere far away without me.

cmdunn1972
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I would go.

DH has been to Bangkok a number of times on business. The coup was a relatively peaceful one, so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

To echo what Marisa said, do be certain that you take your travel immunizations. I would also check the state department's website for any country-specific precautions or advisories.

Other than that, I think your only real concern is that the itinerary once you get inside the country is a little complicated, but it's probably managable since you'll presumably have family (who lives there) as a guide. You'll also probably totally miss your DD! (I know I called home several times per day when I left DS home with DH while my Mom and I were in Germany last August because I missed them so much.) You might want to be sure that you have int'l cell phone coverage before you go in case you want to call home like I did.