PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a NE family ski destination!

bnme
01-15-2007, 07:53 AM
We are trying to plan a 5 or 6 day ski trip in the NE (Vermont/Maine). We live in Long Island, NY and don't want to travel TOO far.

I am not a skier and have never really done a 'winter' vacation so I am having trouble figuring it all out. The way my DH talks about it I am picturing being able to walk from our room to the 'ski village', skiing, ice skating and other activities. This is if we stay in a condo slope-side. I like the way it sounds, but I’m trying to find a place that actually fits the bill. And also trying to figure out what type of activities we will realistically be able to do with a 2.5 and 4yo. (For example we thought we could take them tubing, but it seems some places have height reqs)

We plan on putting the older one in ski-school for about 2 half days. My DH may take the little one out between his legs, but I am not sure about this. DH will probably ski some by himself and I may do a half day of ski school. But we will need other things to do since we really won't be skiing that much.

Any BTDT places to recommend? I'd like to keep the cost at $200 per night or less for a studio-type room. I have looked at websites for Stratton, Sugar Loaf and Smugglers Notch.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
I don't think you will find slope-side for under $200 a night. Other than that, Loon Mountain has what you are looking for. We went last year and they have Toddler Tubing as well as tubing for older kids. Logan loved it!

Ski lessons start at age 3 there.

http://www.loonmtn.com

barbarhow
01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
We go to Sugarloaf everly year. We just booked-Sunday through Friday-we have a 2 br/2ba condo for about 300/night. That does not include lift tickets as we usually get some freebies from friends. Our almost 4 yo will be in their ski school called Mooseketeers. They have an amazing ski school for adults and kids. I cannot rave enough about their daycare. We have used them quite a bit and I have been thrilled with the care they have recieved. Lots of individula attention and activities. The younger kids-2 1/2 -3 can be booked for a 30 minute lesson for an extra $11 or something. That was how we got Jack started last winter.
The other family type places I would recommend would be Stratton-which is pricier than Sugarloaf and Loon. Waterville Valley is another family friendly mountain in NH but I had an awful experience with their daycare. Probably a fluke but we won't go there again until the kids aren't needing childcare.
Also in Maine and not as far north is Sunday River.
Good luck. Hope you can find a place that fits the bill. Sorry I got so long winded-I'm pretty passionate about skiing and I love ski vacations.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

brigmaman
01-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Karen, I haven't heard of this place before. Thanks for posting it!

We are also on LI, so I'll share what we've done.
We took our 4 yr. old ds to Wachusett in Mass a few weeks ago. They do not have all the activities the op is interested in, but it was perfect for a child as a beginner. They also have a nursery for little ones who won't ski. We've also done Jiminy Peak in Mass, but that was pre-kids, and I have no idea what extras they have.
Another option is the Pocono mountains in PA. It's been pretty warm, so there aren't necessarily a ton of trails open at each resort, but many there have great kids programs.

Lovingliv
01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree with Barbara.....Sugarloaf ROCKS and IL's take us every year for a week! We totally love it. We are not going this year because I am due right around the time we ususally go, but next year is sure to be awesome. Liv will start lessons and Daddy and I will either take turns with baby #2, or put the little one in Daycare.....

Any who, it is the best family vacation in my opinion! Have fun and check out Sugarloaf!

khalloc
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I haven't gone on a ski vacation but I live in Vermont. So of course I am going to recommend Smuggs. If you dont ski you can spend the day in Stowe shopping! Its such a cute town.

bnme
01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm adding this to my list of places to call.

bnme
01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Wow, Sugarloaf looks really perfect. But I didn't realize how far it was (10+ hrs for us).

Right now I am going to look further into Loon & Stratton. I am just so worried we are going to get there and I will feel trapped in the room with my little guy with nothing to do. Have you been to Stratton?

barbarhow
01-15-2007, 04:50 PM
I've been to Stratton but not since having kids. From everyone who I know who has been there with kids, it has been great.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

jayali
01-15-2007, 07:35 PM
We have friends that have a place at Okemo and rave about it. They are avid skiers and both of their sons learned to ski at Okemo and ski on their college ski teams. How about Bromley? Then you can do the whole Manchester thing. I think they have a pretty good ski school also.

We don't ski, but have friends that do and are hoping that our son will be a skier. These recommendations are from our friends.

fortato
01-16-2007, 01:36 AM
I love North Conway, NH
Attitash used to be a great family mountain. Plus the area has a lot to offer. (I haven't been in a couple of years, but can't wait to get back)

You can night ski at Cranmore (They have tubing too). There's XC skiing at Bretton Woods.
Loads of TAX FREE shopping at the outlets. There are a bunch of fantastic restaurants and other things to do up there.

If you are intent on going to Maine or VT- I like Sunday River in Maine. That's a fantastic mountain to ski- and it's super easy to get to.

We used to ski Sugarloaf all the time, haven't been in ages.

Kristen

brigmaman
01-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Attitash used to be tons of fun in the summers,too! I haven't been in years, though. :)

ctmom
01-16-2007, 08:30 AM
if you don't want to drive too far, I would suggest Jiminy Peek in Massachusetts.
http://www.jiminypeak.com/

It isn't as big as some of the other resorts that have been suggested, but it is the biggest in the Berkshires. They have tubing close by and newly renovated lodging slope side. The only thing I would be concerned about, actually mostly anywhere in the Northeast this year, would be the conditions...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

stillplayswithbarbies
01-16-2007, 10:54 AM
I've having trouble finding slope-side lodging for the holiday weekend in Feb. (yes I know I started too late)

Anyone know of some less popular places that might still have vacancies that are not $500 a night? I've checked most places listed in this thread already and they are showing online as booked.

I don't ski, so I want to be able to hang out in the room and see the slopes. Last year at Loon, our window looked out on the beginners run and with two-way radios they could tell me when they were at the top so I could watch.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I've having trouble finding slope-side lodging for the holiday weekend in Feb. (yes I know I started too late)

Anyone know of some less popular places that might still have vacancies that are not $500 a night? I've checked most places listed in this thread already and they are showing online as booked.

I don't ski, so I want to be able to hang out in the room and see the slopes. Last year at Loon, our window looked out on the beginners run and with two-way radios they could tell me when they were at the top so I could watch.