PDA

View Full Version : Just In Case You Ever FInd Yourself In This Situation...

randomkid
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
...LOL!

http://www.wikihow.com/Safely-Swim-With-Piranhas

tarabenet
01-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Whew! I was just going to post a question about this. ;)

I learn the most useful things at BBB!

tarynsmum
01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Awww, that makes me sad... (DH and I used to raise pirahnas, our 'boys' - 4.5 yo died when DD was 5 months old, due to some freak gravel contamination). DH LOVED his fish (and I think they're totally cool too). It's a neat conversation starter, and they weren't AT ALL vicious. DH woul routinely put his hand/arm into the tank to move plants around - the fish liked to uproot all our plants. He even accidentally grabbed one once. Of course, if you buy "wild" pirahnas, as opposed to captive-bred, they can be a little more fiesty, but still, they aren't crazy man-eaters.

BTW, some interesting trivia - Theodore Roosevelt was the one who started the "crazy, vicious pirahna" idea in the first place. He came across them in his hunts, and once saw a group of them devour some sort of animal (I think it was a deer? or something) in the span of a few minutes. I guess he talked about it ALL the time, and it became newsworthy (BTW, the pirahnas he had seen were wild, obviously, and also had been starved for several weeks, as it was teh dry season in Brazil at the time).

OK, guess that's all you could ever want to know about pirahnas ;)

Fairy
01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
This is hysterical. I love the one point, if you really are desperate, make a sacrafice. Put a dead animal carcas in the river downstreamfrom where you need to be. Thanks, I'll be sure to keep mine stocked. Hysterical!