PDA

View Full Version : This Is So Bizarre...And Icky!

randomkid
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I was outside in the yard with DD yesterday and I kept smelling something like a dead animal (yes, it's 80 degrees here). I localized the smell and found a dead snake in the bushes...ewewewewewew! I'm really not afraid of snakes, but they just give me the heebie jeebies.

Anyway, it was in some thick plants (mother in law's tongue), so I asked DH to get it out when he got home. It was dark, so he said he would do it this am. I just talked to DH and he told me how it died. I figured it just got stuck in the plants, but DH said it was tied in a knot up around it's head! It was obvious that it had died that way - is that the craziest thing ever?!?!

tarynsmum
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
eeeeeeeewwwwww! I don't even want to think about how that snake got that way. Back in the summer, I was getting DD out of the car and noticed something at the base of the tree. I went to go see what it was, before RUNNING away - it was a dead squirrel. Weirdest thing? It appears that it just fell out the tree... how do squirrels just fall out of trees? It's happened twice now in that tree...

Marisa6826
01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow. Talk about directionally impaired. :P

I wonder if the snake really 'naturally' died, or if somebody caught it, knotted it and then tossed the carcass. Kind of wierd, no?

-m

Marisa6826
01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Three times now, we've had birds fly directly into our sliding glass door. There's a loud *thump*, and then it drops to the ground.

Almost like flying lemmings!

BTW, I make Jonathan pick them up and toss them. I don't think I want to handle anything warm and feathered. :P

-m

Smiles81
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
My parent's had this problem too, until they put up some of those colorful stickers that "stick" onto glass w/o adhesive. It worked great, and no birds have dived into the door since then.

HTH

Reena

g-mama
01-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Yuck. We had a horrible smell coming in the house last summer and after searching and searching, finally found where it was coming from. A dead fox and a dead possum were intertwined along the base of our house behind the bushes, right under the vent that carried the stench up through our ventilation system. We had to have an exterminator come and pull them out because there were maggots all over the animals - GAG!!

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

randomkid
01-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Nope, I think it tied itself in a knot. It was in our back yard which is fenced, right up by the back of the house. Not an area where someone could toss it. I don't think it could have crawled there already tied either. Maybe it got caught up in the plants and tied itself in a knot trying to get out?

randomkid
01-17-2007, 02:10 AM
OK...You win! Sooooo disgusting!!!!

Fairy
01-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Yes, you absolutely, definitely, and categorically win.

newnana
01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! You guys are giving me the heebie jeebies! And I can't look away. I fully admit that I will be anxiously watching this thread for more grossness.

You would think that growing up on a farm I would have more of these, but I can only think of one. Dad was cutting a dead limb off of a tree in our backyard with a chainsaw. When the limb fell, 1/2 of a snake slithered out of it and away. Apparently it was living in the hole in the rotton limb and dad cut it in half with the chain saw? Is that even possible? My dad is terrified of snakes. He was on a ladder, holding a chain saw and white as a ghost when he saw that.

I cannot appropriatly type the yuck, shivers, blech that I'm trying to convey :)
Michelle

g-mama
01-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I didn't even give all the details before. :) I figured that the fox and the possum got in a fight til they both died. The exterminator said that what they think must have happened (based on their experience of such situations) is that the fox caught and killed the possum and then ate his brains because it's protein-rich. The possum must have had rabies and so the fox died within minutes.

How's that for even more nasty, gruesome yuckness?

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

randomkid
01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, I figured that they fought until they both died, but that is even more gruesome! Ickgusting!, as my stepdaughters used to say when they were little. :-)