PDA

View Full Version : Can you give acidophilus to dogs?

Marisa6826
01-16-2007, 07:47 PM
I have three French Bulldogs. Two in particular (the males. OF COURSE.) are prone to, uh, gas issues.

It seems that Sophie fed one not only some Hebrew National salami, but also apples today.

The paint is peeling from the walls, and the couch is smouldering, my hair is falling from its follicles.

Does Acidophilus work on canines? Should I just stuff them with Beano?

I need to crack a window...

-m

Tondi G
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
yes you can give them acidolpholus.... or just a spoonful of plain yogurt everyday! I am pretty sure they have a Beano type thing specifically for dogs too!

I know how you feel.... our 13 year old German Shorthaired Pointer gets the most horrible gas sometimes.... my husband swares she is rotten on the inside! Our Weimaraner gets into anything and everything she can and her gas seriously smells like something died!!!

I feel for ya!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

vdrake71
01-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I vet recommended giving my dogs yogurt for gas. The dogs seemed to like it.

Radosti
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
My Rocky has been gone for 2 years now, but he had major bloat issues, so him having gas was dangerous to his health, not just ours.

The two things that helped tremendously with gas was feeding an organic diet (Wellness, Solid Gold, Eagle Pack Holistic, C&P ORganix) and giving him Phazyme if and when he did have gas. The diet and Phazyme controlled his issues very well.

Marisa6826
01-17-2007, 01:21 AM
I tried the C&P and it made it so much worse, we went back to the Nutro Sensitive (oatmeal, chicken and rice).

I was weary of switching them back to Wellness (I fed my original two Frenchies Wellness, but then when Glamis came along, I couldn't get them to eat their own food - one was on senior, the other on puppy).

Do you do the Phazyme liquid or capsules?

Thanks!
-m

Saccade
01-17-2007, 01:41 AM
We gave our CBBD (California Black Barking Dog, a.k.a. lab mutt) yogurt all the time after he would snack on a dead sea lion on the beach at Fort Funston. Really, what have you got to lose??

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

dylansnan
01-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Oh, I'm going to have to reccomend this to my parents. Their two dogs- one especially has pretty smelly gas. I was a little surprised as they eat either Nutro-Natural or Wellness food. But I'll tell my mom to give them a little yogurt now and then :)