PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this registered sex offender web site?

overcome
01-16-2007, 09:29 PM
It is www.familywatchdog.us . When you visit this site you can enter your address and a map will pop up with your house as the small icon of a house and red, blue, green, dots surrounding your entire neighborhood.

When you click on these dots a picture of a person will appear with an address and the description of the crime he or she had committed. The best thing is that you can show your children pictures and see how close these people live to your home or school.

This site was developed by John Walsh from Americas Most Wanted

It was a little creepy but I was glad to see what was going on in my area.

Jenn98
01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
FYI: Depending on what state you live in there may actually be several websites for you to check.

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I know about the various sites but have chosen not to look at any of them. Maybe when ds is older and out and about in the world without me (like walking to school or something). For now I let my paranoia and inner voice keep me away from any situation that feels uncomfortable in any way. And I am drilling into ds stranger rules, what sort of behavior is ok from other people and stuff like that. I am a "hoverer" when we are out in public and I am very cautious even around acquaintences.

I just don't really want to know. That may not be a great attitude but that's where I am now.

But, I do know other moms would probably be interested in that site so thanks for posting it. :)

Beth

overcome
01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah...I think I feel the same way you do Beth.

I posted the site for general interest...I checked it out b/c I need to know what is going on regardless of whether it is a post on BBB or sex offenders!! Just my type A personality.

I guess I thought it was pretty amazing that in seconds you can find this info. if you want it. You'd think I wouldn't be amazed by the internet anymore...but every once in awhile I am!

kijip
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Be careful as the accuracy of such info on a variety of different websites can be limited. Registered sex offenders move and stay listed in your are but are not added to their new area all the time. Registration rates vary from place to place and compliance with registration laws is not enforced as tightly in some areas as in others.

Also, be aware the the vast majority of sex offenders have never been arrested or convicted or registered. Frankly, these are the people that your kids are most at risk from and child sex abuse primarily occurs within the family or close community unit. While we are safely keeping our kids away from the men whose pictures are online or posted in the Post Office, our kids are mainly being abused by relatives or close friends. That, IMO, is the scariest fact of all.

julieakc
01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Just to add a bit to Katie's post, which ITA with, is to keep in mind that a lot of the registered sex offenders are not necessarily child molestors. Not that we should only be concerned with child molestors, but that the registery includes everything from lewd conduct (George Micheal and the Beverly Hills park incident) to serial rapists.

I think the registry is an important tool in protecting yourself and your family, but that it is just that, a tool, that has to be used properly, and again, just as Katie mentioned, unfortunately most children who are victims of sex abuse are from people you know, not a stranger. That being said...using the registry tool properly, you certainly wouldn't want your child becoming friendly with the neighbor down the street who you saw was listed!

Melanie
01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I haven't loaded this site yet, but I've looked on a local one before and they will actually say what the person was convicted of. I think that helps in managing fears. And yes, we've got two creeps in our neighborhood. Shudder.