PDA

View Full Version : OT - What do you think of my state?

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Militia, hunters, and pick up trucks in the less populated area. (didn't know anything about militias till dh mentioned it when we visited 11 years ago- could have changed).

Detroit? Probably just like any other small/ medium sized city dwellers.

Traverse City? Old. :) (Fun, pretty little town)

Ann Arbor? Younger professionals, liberal, cool.

Overall, patriotic or at least pro-American wares (based simply on the % of American made cars I see when we pass through or visit).

Total generalizations, obviously. And I admit total naivity (that I can't spell!). :)

Beth

DrSally
01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
I actually don't have many associations with Mich. I like Ann Arbor and Univ of Mich when I interviewed there, but Detroit hosp I interviewed at was the worst I'd ever seen and it was so bad I don't think I even ranked it.

jenjenfirenjen
01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't think anything of Michigan. There are very few states that for me have any meaning. I'm from Texas which of course is the greatest place on earth. DH is from California which is pretty nice. And then there's NY. Definitely some interesting people there. But Michigan (as with PA where I live now) I don't really think anything in particular of it. It's kind of like that scene in Wayne's World..."Hi. We're in Delaware (or Michigan or Pennsylavania." Nothing really to say.

Corie
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Go Texas!!

megs4413
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
i dont' associate it with anything except cold weather. and dirty dirty detroit.

ribbit1019
01-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Rivals. ;)
And probably the same things you think of Ohio, lol.
Christy
Wife to Richard
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

cmdunn1972
01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
You know, I've never been there, so I really don't know!

I am a midwesterner, though (native from MO), so I know what it feels like to be "passed over". I joke that the heartland is seen by most folks on the coasts as, "that huge chunk of land in the middle that makes it such a long flight from NYC to LA". LOL

KrisM
01-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Home of really excellent moms!

I didn't know you were in Michigan. Me too :).

Jenn98
01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
where are you in MI? I'm along Lake MI

Jenn98
01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
DH and I joke about other people from other states occasionally, which makes me wonder what the general population thinks of my state, Michigan. So, ladies, tell me what your stereotypical Michiganian is like. And be honest, I won't be offended - I know I'm cool ;)

maestramommy
01-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, I was born and raised for the first 5 years of my life in E. Lansing. My dad was a grad student at Mich state. I love Ann Arbor, but I have to admit when I think of MI now, I mostly think of the Big 3 (cousin's dh works for Chrysler). However, I've recently heard that the state superintendent has committed a huge amount of money and some improvement stratgies towards the public schools. Maybe it's in Dearborn?

ETA: Oh yeah, I didn't know it had such a rabid militia until I saw "Bowling for Columbine." That showed me a whole other side of MI I never even heard about.

kijip
01-16-2007, 11:11 PM
As far as people based type casts, I don't know. But I have a lot of associations with the state itself:

Industrial, resilent, large, masculine (don't ask, I can't explain this one intelligently), Big unions, decline of American industry, lakes.

I also can't think of the state without thinking of Ann Arbor and Detroit, two cities I have enjoyed visiting.

Jenn98
01-16-2007, 11:21 PM
>ETA: Oh yeah, I didn't know it had such a rabid militia until
>I saw "Bowling for Columbine." That showed me a whole other
>side of MI I never even heard about.

Long story why, but I'm in that documentary! I'm the scared-out-of-my-mind photog/intern crouched on the ground at the rally while Mr Heston screams about guns at a speach in Flint.

maestramommy
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Seriously?! We should rent it again! It's too bad they made Mr. Heston look like such a callous SOB.

Jenn98
01-16-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't know much about him, but I can truly say that event was one of the scarriest I ever covered as a photojournalist. And I've covered riots, done ride-alongs with police as they did stings for prostitutes, and been to murder scenes where the shooter was still on the loose. Yup, that rally in Flint was scary! It was days before the presidential election and the place was packed with angry people - so many that the fire marshall shut it down. Heston got the crowd all crazy and I was pretty nervous. I miss being a photog sometimes...

shilo
01-17-2007, 12:06 AM
ok, well i'm biased b/c my MIL and her family live there, so this is partially just based on my perceptions of the family/extended family/their neighborhoods, etc. i hope i don't offend with these stereotypes - i mean no disrespect to anyone - just trying to be honest like you asked for. and i am fully aware that the general population does not view my state with much respect at all :).

i'm a little surprised no one's mentioned 'religious'. at least in my MIL's part of the state, much of the week revolves around church family, church events/classes/services, etc. it seems like there is a church of every christian denomenation i've ever heard of in town, and at least one on every corner. i swear i see 4 christian schools for every one public school in their area when we're driving around. like i said, i'm fully aware this is a very warped perception i probably have based on their specific area, but you asked, so to me, that's part of my stereotypical MI.

i also have the sense of ecconomic depression when i'm there. a lot of talk at social gatherings about how it 'used to be' with the big 3, upjohn, etc. i also have this sense of a very stratified population. there seems to be a certain affluency associated with the lake communities and especially lakeside properties, golf course communities, etc. i guess i have this sense of a huge gap between have and have nots between the lakeside and detroit. and honestly a huge difference in the amount of diversity compared to where i'm from.

my aunt and uncle did their residency's in ann arbor and so i guess my perception of there, based on their stories would be young, liberal, hapening culturally, fun college town. kind of a niche all it's own.

lori

Saccade
01-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Agree with above, but want to add shaped like a mitten (except for the poor Yoopers that people forget) and Zingerman's is there!!

ETA: I'm kidding about the mitten -- that's not really my main perception -- but I just love mittens!

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

fortato
01-17-2007, 12:34 AM
It's not Massachusetts, so you've got that going for you.

K

Saccade
01-17-2007, 01:00 AM
LOL! Why the MassHatred? Don't like the bean and the cod? Or is the Lowells and Cabots that have you steamed like a lobster?

ETA: I see where you live now. Must be the I95 traffic north in the summer, eh? I've heard the name that goes along with the license plate. No offense, Mass guys -- I lived there for a while myself (but never drove there).

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

denna
01-17-2007, 01:42 AM
When I think of Michigan I think of Football, colleges, *COLD*, the beautiful lakes, and the accents (eh) :D. I had a friend in college from Michigan and he had the craziest accent (he was from the Upper Penisula).

DH is from Chicago, him and his family have a little bit of that Midwestern/Canadian accent going on I like it :). I find accents fascinating, Im from Cali and have lived in the south here and there (from OK to GA) and I just love accents.

dylansnan
01-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Home!!! Born and raised Michigander, and missing it a bit living overseas for a while.

I tought my friends little boy here in Switzerland, that MI is the "Mitten-State" now he points it out whenever he sees a World or US map :-)

rlu
01-17-2007, 03:36 AM
The show Home Improvement, Red Wings (boo!), Lions (my high school mascot so I don't boo Lions) and Ann Arbor (DH is a Notre Dame fan).

No real impression about the people since they can't really be like Tim Taylor.

Pennylane
01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
I lived outside of Grand Rapids for a few years and I would describe Michigan as beautiful and cold. The people I found to be very closed to outsiders and and not very open minded. I base this on just the people I worked with on a daily basis. I didn't know many others.

Ann

hez
01-17-2007, 07:31 AM
We just spent the weekend in Flint, where my mom grew up & parents both went to college.

I'm not fond of MI drivers. They seemed to either drive 50-60 or 80-90, and the speed limit was 70. I felt like I was either slamming on my brakes or having someone crawl up my rear all the time. I'm sure if I lived there I'd get used to it & over it.

I have fond memories of my grandparents' cottage up north (between Gaylord & Grayling), but the Flint area is not what I remember it to be when I was younger. The population there appeared to be aging, and a lot of the infrastructure was, too. Maybe it was just the side of town I was on. The family we saw this weekend from around the state reminded me of all the small towns that people never move from. That's not a bad thing, it's just different from my life.

KrisM
01-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Not too close to you. Technically, a northern suburb of Detroit, but we're just south of Lapeer (east of Flint on I-69).

DrSally
01-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Yes, I remember the few times I drove there, people drove very fast on the interstate. Also, there was very little public transportation in downtown, which they said was a legacy of the car manufact.

newnana
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Another MO midwesterner here without any perceptions of MI. Except one lovely experience. I used to travel EVERY week for work. Thankfully, that was before DD. In my travels I stayed at many, many hotels. One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at was in Detroit. I had a huge room, and they brought a treadmill and exercise ball to my room for me. Even though as a guest I had full access to the really nice gym across the street. The room overlooked the river and I could see Canada. It was lovely. And cold. Also, big hockey town (Go Blues!), so there is supposedly an awesome bar there that the top of is ice and the bartender slides your drink to you. Ah, and I had a driver while I was there. I felt like royalty. Thanks Detroit!
Michelle

wolverine2
01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm originally a Michigander (see my screen name?) who now lives in New England, and whenever I say I'm from Michigan, people think it's really cold there. I try to convince them that it's really not any colder than Massachusetts, but they don't believe me. They think it's much further north.

candybomiller
01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Honestly, nothing. I just don't think of your state. ;)

chiqanita
01-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Well before I married DH (from Chicago area) I never thought much of the midwest in general, I was born and raised in East L A but now live in the south. Now I have somewhat of an appreciation for it. So here goes...

Michigan
Shaped like a mitten (bottom....duh) holding a handkerchief (top)...that's how I remembered it when I was a kid.

I remember reading that the people living in the south are called 'trolls' because they live 'under' the bridge that connects the two peninsulas.

Lucky because one of my all time favorite movies filmed on the island Mackinac (sp?): SOMEWHERE IN TIME with the dearly departed Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. I love love love love that movie! So romantic. I would love to go there someday.

About 2 years ago we drove from Chicago south along the lake and around the bottom of the mitten. We passed through Indiana and stopped in a small Michigan town along the lake. I think it had something to do with Buffalo? I don't remember but the sand was beautiful and white.

Never thought anything about the people who live there, figure we're all in the US so we have to be fundamentally the same....grateful to be in the US of A!

MartiesMom2B
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
It's shaped like a mitten and everyone plays euker (sp?)

My dad's whole family is from Michigan - so I have fond memories of the place.

However I think of Detroit as the murder capital of the US thanks to the Goonies.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

aliceinwonderland
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I have zero thoughts on Michigan :)

megs4413
01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
hmmmmm????

sugarsnappea
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Another cool michigander here reading the interesting replies. It is friggin' cold, I do drive fast, and play lots of Euchre. But, I drive a Honda, and live in the 'burbs. I don't think I have an accent, and am definitely not close-minded. :)

One thing nobody mentioned about Michigan was diversity. This is the first thing all my out-of-state friends notice when they visit. But, I am in a suburb of Detroit, not anywhere near the militia men. LOL!

thomma
01-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I got nothing. Have never been there.

dylansnan
01-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Ah yes the diversity in the 'burbs is great. I am thankful to have been raised in such a community, and look forward to raising my kids there too. People here in Europe are amazed when I tell them that a city (Dearborn) less than 10 miles from where I am from, has the second largest population of Iraqis (sp.) outside of Iraq.

Oh and don't play Euchre- gasp, I know ;-) But drive a GM.

elephantmeg
01-18-2007, 09:15 AM
There's an argus museum in Ann Arbor. That's the only thing I know. Which makes my husband want to vist... lol :)

daisymommy
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
My DH was born and raised in Michigan. I went to college there, we met, were married, and then I couldn't stand the cold, long winters there anymore so I kidnapped him and we moved to Virginia, where it was 65 degrees the other day.

So, when I think of Michigan I think COLD! :)

Sillygirl
01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I have a completely different perception, but I know it's warped. Michigan is absolutely my favorite place in the world. I have spent most summers in my family's cottage on the Lake, just north of St. Joe/ Benton Harbor, where my dad grew up. I love the St. Joe art fair, the Venetian Festival (before it got all big and crazy), Deer Forest, Saugatuck, Mackinaw Island, Travers City's Cherry festival, Sherman's ice cream. I love all the little houses and stores that seem like they're frozen in the 40's or 50's.

I could do without all the massive upgrades to the cottages around ours that are pushing up our property taxes.

And I've only ever been in the summer, so mostly I think of hot sun and the softest sand in the world between my toes.