PDA

View Full Version : I *failed* the test!

JFC
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Okay, I *failed* my glucose test (mid-140 reading), so besides having to take the 3-hour and suffer through the glucola and the blood draws again...I'm freaking out! Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have/had gestational diabetes? Please tell me it isn't worth freaking out over...

kdeunc
01-17-2007, 01:00 PM
I failed the one hour test with both boys and passed the 3 hour just fine each time. No need to worry yet :)

o_mom
01-17-2007, 01:06 PM
140 is the standard for gestational diabetes (make sure they aren't using the levels for NON-Pregnancy testing), so chances are you won't fail the 3 hour test. Even if you fail the 3 hour, if it is that borderline then you will likely be able to control it to their satisfaction with just diet - mainly eating better and smaller more frequent meals.

Do you normally eat a low carb/low glycemic index diet? If so, that can make you fail the test even though you don't have GD.

pb&j
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I failed my 1 hr with a reading of 140, failed the three hour with normal fasting, normal 1 hr, 5 points over at 2 hrs, and one stinkin' point over at 3 hrs. So I was dx with GDM. As you might guess, mine was very mild, entirely diet controlled, and I went the rest of the pg having only 2 readings slightly over normal. I was even allowed to go down to 2x/day testing of my sugars (instead of 4). It kinda sucked, but it wasn't a big deal. I just stayed away from most desserts (though I did have ice cream most days after dinner), orange juice, and pineapple. I made sure to eat protein with every meal. DS was born healthy, and I was back down to pre-preg weight in record time. :)

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

bensmom
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I took the 3 hour and was borderline for GDM. It was completely diet controlled and not a big deal.

mommyoftwo
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I failed the one hour with both girls but passed the three hour. I wouldn't worry about it yet although I know it's hard to do. I panicked the first time especially but other than the pain of going through the test everything turned out just fine.

floridamommy
01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I failed the 1 hour test with DD and passed the 3 hours test just fine. Coincidentally, I just took the 1 hour test this morning for the new baby and have to wait until Friday to see if I passed or not.

JFC
01-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I knew I could count on you all! I really feel better already reading your responses. No one I know IRL failed, which freaked me out even more! Thanks for sharing your experiences - I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I pass the 3hour (at least I'll get some time to read), but it is good to hear that even if I don't it is okay... THANK YOU!!!

bunnisa
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
double post

bunnisa
01-17-2007, 03:29 PM
FYI, with my first baby, I failed the one hour but knew the test had a high failure rate (I believe 85% of women who fail the 1 hour pass the 3 hour) and was SURE I did not have GD. Certainly the fact that the test is in the AM (when you're most insulin resistant) and that I often have low blood sugar affected the test. I stubbornly refused the 3 hour (which actually ends up being 4 hours!).

My midwife was out of town at the time and the Medwife there basically attacked me, told me I'd have to leave their care, and I'd have a 15 lb baby and a c-section. I still refused. Understand my weight gain was normal, the baby was normal, urine was normal, etc.

Finally the MD in the office came in and offered for me to see a nutritionist and take my own blood sugar counts for a week (fasting, non-fasting, etc) as an alternative. I agreed.

I had a half hour appt with the nutritionist (who told me I wasn't getting enough carbs!) and received a glucometer. I took my blood at random times throughout the week. Guess what? I was perfectly normal.

Perhaps this is something you can do too. Besides, this is what you'll have to do if you fail the 3 hr anyway, and the visit with the nutrionist was very informative and well worth my time.

I refused the test during the last pregnancy and will refuse it again in the future. If there are risk signs I'll simply take my own blood sugar counts and adjust my diet accordingly.

...blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

bisous
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
To the OP, I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour just fine. Many people do this and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Sorry for the hassle though!

I do have a question for anyone ever diagnosed with GD or anyone with medical info--I am really concerned about GD. My son is Type 1 diabetic and I think it makes me ultra sensitive. I do have sugar sensitivity issues. I thought that if GD can be totally controlled with diet does anyone have any resources for how one should eat? I just figure that it couldn't hurt to eat that way for the duration of my pregnancy, you know?

TIA!

katiesmommy
01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
My tip for getting through the glucola: Chant and dance! Chant goes like that :"It's not glucola, it's just orange soda!!" Very happy sounding, now you chant this while doing the running man. If nothing else, it should make you feel a little better, or at least make your hubby feel better.

Sorry, I've been in an extra silly mood the last few days.

fortato
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
GLUUUUUUCOOOOOLLLAAAAAA!
Big Hugs! I failed my first time around too.... Don't stress about it. What did you eat the night before? Did you fast?

I had a big bowl of ice cream... yeah. Big surprise that I failed.

Just make sure you don't eat too much sweets the night before and you will be fine.

It's not something to worry about until you get the results back from the challenge!

Kristen

bubbaray
01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Do NOT stress over the test. My perinatologist and my OB do NOT routinely make their pt's take the test unless they have other symptoms or risk factors. I didn't take the test at all with DD#1. With this PGy, I did take the 1hr b/c I gained 55lbs with DD#1 and she was 9lbs 3oz. Guess what? I passed & my peri was NOT surprised.

FWIW, I LOVED the Glucola. Seriously. When I'm not PG, I HATE fizzy orange drinks with a passion. But, honestly, I almost asked to go back for the 3 hr just for the drink! How weird is that?!

If you do the 3 hr, just make sure to not eat a lot of sweets the day or 2 before. Good luck!

Good luck!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

overcome
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I failed the first one and passed the 3 hour one...and proceeded to the chinese food place next door to the lab and ordered 3 dishes....I was so freakin' hungry!!

Good luck and hang in there...

kransden
01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Ok, I had gd, but it isn't a big deal - IF YOU BEHAVE!!!! What you need to do is exercise - i.e. walk at least 20 minutes a day, check your insulin levels, watch what you eat, and take insulin shots. As your pregnancy progresses you will probably have to take higher doses of insulin. You will give yourself shots in the belly, but it doesn't hurt. Within a couple of days of delivery you should go back to normal. The shots after delivery on my flabby skin hurt like hell. If you want to know more pm me, I'm happy to help.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

nov04
01-18-2007, 01:35 AM
flunked the 1hr w/ Liv, passed second

decided to skip 1hr this time and passed the second.

o_mom
01-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Not all GD requires insulin. Many cases are mild and can be controlled through diet. My sister had it with her first and never needed insulin, just monitored levels and ate right.

ColorBlue
01-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Yes I second that. I had GD with my twins. I changed my diet and only once had a high reading (marginally) the entire time! And no I didn't exercise as I was pregnant with twins and on bedrest for a majority of the time.

Also don't be freaked out about the diet its really not bad its just balancing carbs with protein. Really I hate anything restrictive and it wasn't bad at all.

Tracy

Mama to three girls, my big kindergartener Grace 11/01, and my babies Ella and Madeline 10/04.

pb&j
01-18-2007, 08:25 AM
>Not all GD requires insulin. Many cases are mild and can be
>controlled through diet. My sister had it with her first and
>never needed insulin, just monitored levels and ate right.
>
>
>

That's correct. Most GDM can be controlled through diet and exercise. Mine was! :)

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

DrSally
01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I got a 142 on the one hour and ob asked if I had a big dinner the night before. Well, yes, I had a humungous plate of pasta at 11pm, right before the cutoff to stop eating. I passed the 3 hr officially, but, again, the fasting reading was high. I just cut out the fruit smoothies and reduced the white starches and upped the protein. Incidentally, I lost some weight (unintentionally) doing that.

bensmom
01-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I believe that it depends somewhat on your weight (pre-pregnancy). Generally, I was told to eliminate juice (other than "light" juice with less than 5 g carb/serving). The nutritionist said to eat 3 meals and one snack each day. Each meal should have around 60 g carbs, plus some fat and protein and 30 g carbs for the snack.

In reality, I was always hungry and at 8 months pregnant ate every 2 hours. I just tried to limit my carbs (not eliminate) and include protein with them. So, instead of eating an apple, I ate it with cheese or peanut butter. Or I ate a serving of pasta, not a huge bowl.

DH eliminated juice and cut back on bagels at the same time and lost 25 pounds :)

bisous
01-19-2007, 04:24 AM
Wow! Thank you for replying. I really appreciate it. Those seem like healthy guidelines that I'll put in place until my next OB appointment where I can get specific information. I could definitely up my protein intake during this pregnancy. It seems all I want is carbs. :(

shilo
01-19-2007, 04:41 AM
www.diabetes.org has a tab in the lefthand column for gestational diabetes. they also have a tab for nutrition and recipes. they may have something in their bookstore too, i think my friend who had GD got a book about it from them.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

kransden
01-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Basically you need to eat healthy. I tried to eat right and exercise, but in my case it didn't matter. No matter what, I was insulin dependent. So I just sucked it up and took the shots. I had PBJ sandwich with low sugar jelly on high fiber bread as a snack everyday. I cut out all junk food. I ate brown rice instead of white etc. No more pizza, that was my craving. I ate a lot of Maria Callendar (sp?) chicken dinners for lunch. They had 37 carbs. You won't starve or even be hungry if you have a good doctor. I walked at lunch everyday.

My sisters had GD too, but they didn't need the shots. The diet and exercise were enough for them alone.

So you might not need the insulin shots at all, but if you do, they aren't anything to worry about.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

bisous
01-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I totally appreciate all the info. As for shots, I'm not too worried about it. If it makes me healthier and manages my blood sugars better than it can't be a bad thing. I know a thing or two about insulin--my 3yo DS is insulin dependent and we do about 4 shots a day around here. He might appreciate watching mommy be the recipient of the shots. That said, I'm going to start really watching my carbs and protein intake, exercising and doing all that stuff now, well before I'll be tested just in preparation.

As always, thank you ladies!

bisous
01-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Ooh! This is a great resource. Thanks a ton!