PDA

View Full Version : OT: after the virus

psophia17
01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Help!

Sometime this morning, DH clicked "ok" on something, and the whole computer shut down. I have run I don't know how many virusscan and spyware/malware removal prgrams from safemode, but still I can't get the computer to work right in normal mode.

The PC will boot up fine (we have Windows 2000 Professional), but when you click on an icon (or try and start a program through the start menu), the hourglass will show up and then that's it. It stops.

Any ideas on what to do next?

TIA!!!

psophia17
01-17-2007, 11:54 PM
BUMP

Anyone? I can barely get online to figure out what to do, and have no boot disk or techie friends to call on IRL!

fortato
01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
I'll talk to DH and see what he says...

Kristen

fortato
01-18-2007, 12:19 AM
He says call the computer company... like Dell or something...

or you could call a repair shop... Or the geek squad.

I'll pump him for more info, if I can get him away from WoW.

Kristen

MartiesMom2B
01-18-2007, 08:25 AM
When I had a virus. I had to schlep my Dell computer codes to the library and look up what to do. I had to download a patch before my computer shut off. I would contact whoever your computer is from or windows and see what's going on. Is there another computer you can search the internet on?

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Bethann31
01-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Petra,

I would move heaven and earth before I called the Geek Squad. YMMV but I have not talked to a single person who has had success the first go round with them. The first thing they do is install PCillin on your computer (I asked them, they said they do this for everyone) and that causes all kinds of conflicts. Then you have to keep calling them out to fix each additional error caused by PCillin and its conflicts. For 3 people I know, this eventually meant re-formatting their hard disks.

I think it's a great idea to search the company website for your computer and see if there is a firmware update or patch.

There is a program called GOBack that has worked for us when we have problems like this, but I don't know if it would help right now. This program allows you to shut down the computer and then re-start it in a previous boot-up.

Beth

bubbaray
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
You're running Telus Security, right?

Honestly, I would call them. 604-310-4NET I think is the number. or try 310-TECH.

FWIW, you'll probably need a boot disk at some point. If you need service, I've been to Anitec Computers on Kingsway and they are OK.

Good luck!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

Puddy73
01-18-2007, 11:21 AM
>
>I'll pump him for more info, if I can get him away from WoW.
>
Sorry to hijack. Just wanted to say that I feel your pain as a fellow WoW widow. One of these days I'm going to take that darn CD out to a field and smash it up with a baseball bat like the scene from "Office Space."

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett