PDA

View Full Version : Your own made up baby activities...

robinsonbn
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I just posted about this on the suggestions board. I was wondering what are your original activites you do with DC...from songs to play...

Almost every song I sing I have made up...partly because once I became a mom all nursery songs left my memory. I usually put dance moves to them.
Also, our night time routine consists of various leg and arm movements repeated 3 times. Ex. I cycle his legs saying "Run run run run, I'm a Marahon runner, marathon runner. My name is William and I'm the fastest baby in the world". (goofy i know :) ) I do it in a sing/chant thing. There is a pattern to it including slow motion. Then we kick (he kicks my tummy) and I say "I'm kicking mommy" a few times and vary the kicks up a bit. It goes on with some other excercises and takes about 30 min all in all. DS smiles and laughs all through. DH always pokes fun at it and my other made up songs. We have one for bedtime clothes, morning, bathtime, standing, bouncing ect.

Just wondering everyone else's, hoping I'm not strange for doing that lol.

megs4413
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
along the same lines....whenever i change DD's diaper i count to 3 at the part where i'm gonna slide the new diaper underneat and we go, "1-2-3 Bottom's up!" it's pretty funny....

games that we've made up include the "thank you game" which i credit with teachign DD to say thank you by the time she was 10 mos. (seriously...my friends thought she was the most polite baby ever...LOL). the thank you game just consisted of handing one thing back and forth between us over and over and over again. and the thank you is VERY exaggerated. she loved that game....

weirdest song i sing to her....her full name to the tune of "jesus christ, superstar"......NO idea what made me start doing that.

jgriffin
01-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Not an activity, but DH and I sing a lot of goofy, made-up songs to E (and each other sometimes) based on what we're doing. "What's Mom doing? She's brushing her teeth! Brushing her teeth!" (you get the idea)

There are some Woody Guthrie children's songs that I only know some of the words to, so I make up the rest. One is "Put your finger in the air", so I make up places to put your finger (on your chin, on your toes, etc) and act it out. The other is "Wake Up" which I have converted to stretching parts of the body; E moves, stretches, or wiggles various parts while I get him out of pjs and into day clothes. Well, that's the theory, anyway. :)

robinsonbn
01-18-2007, 12:53 AM
:) those are all cute. I am glad I am not the only one. I haven't really told anyone what I told you guys....DH I think appreciates it but acts like I am weird..so I am shy about it. Just glad You guys can appreciate my mommy oddities :)

shilo
01-18-2007, 02:47 AM
yup, i'm weird too. it's mostly songs and signs around here that aren't the standard fare.

i have this song i've been singing to him since he was about two weeks old we just call 'the sam song.' it's mostly just about the people who love him and going over the names of his grandparents and aunts and uncles. i guess i started partly b/c i was out of songs to sing (b/c he never, ever slept as a newborn) and partly b/c i wanted him to be familiar with MIL/FIL and a/u who are out of state. when DS was really really sick and in the hospital having a bunch of tests in november, this was the only song that would calm him down while they were trying to place lines and get ultrasounds, etc.

i also make up my own little tunes to things like the chorus in the book 'i'll love you forever', or to boynton board books like 'snuggle puppy', 'barnyard dance', 'oh my, oh my' oh dinosaurs', etc.

i also do a bouncy kind of 'bah nah mnnn nah' (like the dr. pepper commercial from last year) song down the stairs when i'm carrying him. makes him laugh hysterically every time.

so you're in good company (or at least company :)).
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

jgriffin
01-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I have found that since having a baby my goofiness-inhibitions have been seriously lowered (my cleanliness standards, too, but that's another thread!) If it makes E laugh or be more cooperative about something, I do it. Chasing him on all fours while growling, I'm there. Making weird noises and talking through an old cardboard tube, I've done it. Singing songs about the benefits of eating your vegetables, sure. I have no shame. :) Same with DH, I think. The *very* first time E laughed was in response to DH making snorty-pig noises. Hi-larious!

Puddy73
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only goof-ball Mommy out there! We make up lots of songs, but this was one of our favorities for DD, whose nickname is Bunny:

(sung to the tune of "Sandra Dee" from Grease)
Look at me, my name's Bunny;
In my pants is where I pee.
Won't go to bed 'til I'm changed and fed,
Oh no! My name's Bunny.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett