PDA

View Full Version : Saw a Trader Joe's for the FIRST time!!! What are your FAVORITE items??

Corie
01-17-2007, 09:40 PM
We didn't have time to stop in but we definitely plan on going back. What are
your favorite items at Trader Joes??

For some reason, I was really excited when I saw the store. I wasn't expecting
to see it and but I thought it had quite a following on this board.

So, what should I buy? :)

Thanks for your help!!

elliput
01-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Joe-Joe's. Like Oreo's but, oh, so much better! Yummy vanilla bean cream filling and no transfats. YUM!

tarynsmum
01-17-2007, 10:34 PM
The 4 cheese Mac and cheese (it's frozen, and SO SO good!). Yeah, a guilty pleasure, and AWESOME!

We also go through through a lot of Joe's O's (Cheerios).

jgriffin
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
This unable-to-cook-because-I'm-pregnant mama practically lives at TJ! I buy a lot of their ready-made refridgerated stuff (mainly lasagna and pizzas) and some of the frozen pasta mixes. I'd say ~90% of our groceries come from TJ (exceptions include potato chips, soda, cat litter, and detergent).

-Frozen mac-n-cheese (E loves this)
-Frozen garlic cubes
-JoeJoes
-Trader O's (aka Cheerios)
-Surprisingly, 2-buck chuck is not all that bad (at least for a basic table wine, not necessarily for guests)
-I buy bags of nuts and dried fruits when I make granola
-Spega La Natura yogurt (not a TJ brand, it's imported from Italy, and is awesome yogurt! Plus it comes in glass jars, and IMHO *everything* tastes better from a glass container)

There was a recent (maybe a month or so ago) thread covering favorite TJ items, too. It was long, and the take home message was "you can't go wrong." :)

Jen

C99
01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I highly recommend going to the "advanced search" function on this site, typing in "Trader Joe", clicking the "and" circle, pulling down the "subject only" option out of the search which fields? menu, and running a search. You will get a ton of hits on TJ product faves.

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Frozen flatbread (like pizza) with white sauce, carmelized onions, ham and grueyere. So yummy and can be a great appetizer, side or meal!

The fresh pizza dough is handy to have around.

I am not impressed with the produce. Very sad about the frozen chocolate lava cakes. They looked so good on the package but they tasted like something you would get at a basic chain restaurant for dessert rather than fresh and homemade (of course, it was frozen and not fresh/ homemade :)).

I guess I am not wildly excited about TJs.

I know there was a thread about this a few months ago so if you search the archives you will find more ideas. :)

Beth

youngmommy
01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
We love their no-pulp oj for $1.99.

Also, their fresh fruit just tastes fresher than other places. I love their apples right now.... but i'm also having apple cravings during this pregnancy....especially pink lady apples....mmm....

OOH! Love their organic cinnamon raisin bread. I keep it in the freezer so it stays fresh longer. Totally yummy toasted with cream cheese on top.

I'm sure I'll think of other things as soon as I post this... oh well.

DebbieJ
01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Yep, what they all said.

Do a search.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Marisa6826
01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
So many of them!!

Their Texas Toast bread ROCKS. Kind of like a thick cut challah, but not as sweet. SOOOO good.

Refrigerated bruschetta - I throw it in with some chicken broth, white wine, after browning chicken breasts, throw on some proscuitto and then cover with provolone cheese, put it in the oven for about 20 min and serve over pasta. YUM.

Their lunchmeat and shredded cheeses are really reasonably priced, and it keeps forever since it's vacuumed sealed

Bagged veggies ready for microwave steaming

Bags of tiny apples. Mia loves them and will eat three or four a day!

Tempura veggie birds nests

Frozen mac and cheese (some of the best I've ever had)

Tarte Alsace frozen 'pizzas', flatbread, with creme fraiche, carmelised onions, ham and gruyere

Any of the frozen in a bag meals - chicken and veggies in a garlic sauce with pasta, or the Asian noodle ones with chicken or shrimp. A little bit on the salty side, but if you add extra water, you can't beat it for a really fast dinner for cheap.

Frozen pastas - fettucine, gnocchi, etc.

TJ's mayo - hands down, best I've ever tasted. Even won best taste from Cooks Illustrated

Canned chicken - who knew?!

Their simmer sauces - Piccata, Marsala or Cacciatore. They all rock.

Evaporated cane juice sugar in resealable bags. I can't go back to plain old Domino anymore

TJ's version of Pirate's Booty

Chocolate covered pretzels!!

Any of their cereal bars

Frozen french toast and waffles

Sir Strawberry juice in the big plastic bottles

Summer only fresh, refrigerated lemonade is sublime (no pun intended) :)

Apple Grape juice - both in bottles and box juices

Organic milk is good - and cheap

Eggs - they have expiration dates right on the egg itself (must be VERY smart chickens) :P

TJ vitamins, etc. are very reasonably priced

Clary sage and lemongrass hand soap - love it

I've also had pretty good experiences with their meats. Just watch the dates, but their boneless chicken breasts and porkchops are usually very reasonably priced. TJ's Italian sausage is surprisingly good.

Fresh pizza dough. Less than a $1!

TJ's sausage and tomato red sauce. The vodka sauce isn't bad, either.

I know I'm leaving stuff out, but those are most of our 'regular' stash components.

Oh, and TJ's fresh flowers tend to last me a really long time.

Have fun, and welcome to the addiction! :)

-m

fortato
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Triple Ginger snaps.
Chocolate Chip Dunkers (dipped in chocolate)
Trader Joes Chicken Sausages
Just the Clusters Vanilla Almond Cereal

I love Trader Joes.

Kristen

Corie
01-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Holy Cow!! Thanks for your grocery list, Marisa!! :)

jgriffin
01-18-2007, 01:58 PM
>Eggs - they have expiration dates right on the egg itself
>(must be VERY smart chickens) :P

I usually get my eggs from TJ, but it always seems that a lot of them are cracked. Much more than at a regular grocery. And I've even cracked a few by accident when checking to see if they're cracked, which has never happened to me anywhere else. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

At least they've got a bin right next to the eggs to put bad cartons, but it's still kinda yucky.

o_mom
01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Turkey Meatballs - these are soooooo easy - put them in some pasta sauce and simmer for 20 min. (the regular ones are good too, but more fat - haven't tried the meatless, but a friend swears by them)

Frozen veggies - green beans and sugar snap peas, in particular. Better than even the 'premium' brands at the store.

Simmer sauces

Nuts - almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc. Much cheaper than anywhere.

sdbc
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Chocolate-covered dried cherries!
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

Nooknookmom
01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Cranberry oatmeal cookies drizzled w/ White Chocolate Fudge. Forgot their name.

Love all their frozen stir-fry veggies & their soy chocolate milk!!!

Thanks a lot - now I waaaaaaaaaaaaaant cookies!

icunurse
01-18-2007, 05:28 PM
FYI - their return policy is awesome! While I haven't tried it myself, a few of my co-workers have. One mentioned at check-out that she didn't like something the cashier recommended, he asked "did you return it?", she told him no, and he called the manager to refund her for both boxes of the item! She now will return anything she tries and doesn't like and they have never given her a problem. Now THAT's customer service!

DebbieJ
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
> FYI - their return policy is awesome! While I haven't tried
>it myself, a few of my co-workers have. One mentioned at
>check-out that she didn't like something the cashier
>recommended, he asked "did you return it?", she told him no,
>and he called the manager to refund her for both boxes of the
>item! She now will return anything she tries and doesn't like
>and they have never given her a problem. Now THAT's customer
>service!

Yep--ITA. I have some moldy Brie sitting in my fridge. I knew it was bad from the first bite. But TJ's is kinda out of my way, so I haven't had a chance to go back yet. I'll just bring it back next time. Mmmm, a nice big chunk of moldy cheese for them! YUM!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
chocolate chip dunkers
frozen naan bread
orange chicken
applesauce
marinated beans
some kind of juice drink with guava juice (yum)

jen