PDA

View Full Version : Three girls, now twin boys. What's a good gift?

ShanaMama
01-18-2007, 12:27 AM
My cousin just had twin boys, & I'd like to get her something very nice. I am sure she'll be getting tons of baby clothes from everyone, as we are all very excited. She has three girls, ages 10, 4 & 2. She's the type of person who will have no problem using her old highchairs & carseats, although she'll need another one. I could see her borrowing that from her sister.
Is there any one product that you could not do without when you had twins? Or will the babies be getting so much attention that I should focus on the big girls? I have no idea what to get them....
Any ideas would be appreciated.

ilovetivo
01-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Meals :)

Marisa6826
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
A friend of mine had a baby after her two older kids were way out of baby stuff. She kept everything, so she didn't need much.

I did, however, send her some new onesies with socks and a couple nice blankets with a note saying that everybody deserves their own underwear. ;)

My other suggestion would be a sling so that she can sling (or pouch) one baby, while having the other in a stroller. I even had Mia in a pouch in the house just so she'd sleep.

-m

ETA - if she doesn't already have one, the best thing I ever did after having Mia was splurging on a Eurobath tub. Worth.Every.Single.Penny. Can you find out from her DH if they have one? If not, that's a definite worthwhile gift.

Marisa6826
01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I just have to say that I LOVE the pic of your DD!

-m

megs4413
01-18-2007, 01:01 AM
congrats to your cousin! i'm assuming you don't want to order anything since the babies are already here?

some things i need because i'm having a boy after a girl:

-burp cloths! why did i only buy the girl packs of burp rags? i really love those monogrammed cloth diapers for burp cloths....that would be a really sweet gift.

-miracle blankets and receiving blankets that aren't PINK! (seriously what were we thinking?)

-blankets that aren't PINK. big fleece blankets that are really soft....we only had girly ones and had to buy new blankets.

since it was twins, she may need an extra swing or an extra bouncy seat. coordinating outfits would be good, not identical outfits but outfits that match well.

ideas for the older girls: anything that makes them feel special individually.....like custom tutus! if you're crafty at all, i hear they're easy to make and pretty inexpensive....there are plenty of WAHM here that make them, though, and i'm not crafty at all so i just order for DD!

happy shopping!

denna
01-18-2007, 01:56 AM
<Miracle Blankets>

I was going to say miracle blankets www.babyslumber.com has somewhat of a variety you could get 2 w/ coordinating colors.

I like the idea of the coordinating outfits too. And burpcloths I could *never* get enough burp cloths and after *all* girls she probably has a ton of them.

Also maybe a shopping cart cover, I got mine from www.angelynrose.com and I saw that they had some for twins.

If you are considering a sling (like a pp) mentioned I think www.peppermint.com might still be having a sale, I got my Mai Tai from them and they are just great!

What about a Pack 'n' Play or something for the crib that allows the twins to sleep safely in one like a divider or something?

I think for the girls individual gifts that make them feel special is a great idea, maybe catering to there tastes (for example if the 10yo likes books or a certain series of books (like Harry Potter) or if the 4 yo likes to play dress up some more dress up clothes, etc.)

ETA: I am currently shopping for 3 baby showers in the next 3 months (2 girls & a boy) that is why I have all of these sites so readily available) ;)

I hope this helps,

thomma
01-18-2007, 07:12 AM
How about diapers? They'll be changing a lot of those! A friend came to my house a few weeks after ds and dd came home from the nicu and she brought a pair of Robeez and a case of diapers for each baby. We love it!

Kim (who's STILL changing diapers)
ds&dd 5/03

ShanaMama
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, thanks for all the websites. That was really helpful.
I really like the double shopping cart cover.
I'd love to get individual gifts for the girls, as I'm sure they'll be feeling a bit forgotten in the next few weeks. Problem is I don't really know them that well individually. So it would have to be a guess as to what's age appropriate, & I might end up getting something they don't want.

ShanaMama
01-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I also love your pic.

Meals is a great idea! But her mom is moving in for a couple of weeks...

maddyzmommy
01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
I mentioned this elsewhere in the lounge, but I think this is such a unique gift - how about a diaper wallet? They're really trendy where I live, in Plano TX, and they're really wonderfully made. www.lollipopkisses.com has some gorgeous AnnieFrannie's ones. Look at the close up pictures to get an idea of how nice they are. The meal time and On the Go tabs on that site both had really cute gift ideas. The bibs are too darling - check out the cowboy and veggie ones for nine dollars! I have the veggie one and the flowery one and they're our favorites.

Happy hunting!
Andrea

chiqanita
01-18-2007, 04:11 PM
What a blessing!

When I had my twin sons these are a few items I was so very grateful to receive/have:

1. Arms Reach CoSleeper - my little ones slept together for a very long time and then afterwards I used it as a play yard

2. Milk Maid bottle holders - Wonderful when I was alone and wanted to give each some individual attention during their feedings.

3. Rockers/Bouncers

4. 2 swings

5. 2 activity centers

6. Double stroller - If I could do it all over again I would get the Peg Perego Twin Aria. I had the Maclaren Twin Traveller. Later we picked up the Twin Bob for rugged terrains.

7. Diapers of different sizes - Once we moved into the next size all I had to do was pull a package out of the closet to use. We picked up a regular supply of that size later. It was great to never be without diapers.

8. Multiple sounds box - The boys still fall asleep to and sleep to the sounds from their soundbox. Initially I used the 'heart' sound and the 'womb' sound. Today we use the different water sounds (ocean, brook, & rain)

9. Ready to heat meals!!!!!!!! Ready to eat healthy snacks!!!!!!

I have more but I think the above is a good list of cherished baby items. I wish her well! You're very kind to think of her.

ShanaMama
01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
to get a used item? I was thinking of the double Snap N Go, but buying a new one is way more than I was planning on spending. I know these go on Ebay or Craigslist all the time.
This cousin totally wouldn't mind getting a used one, I just think it's kinda tacky to give a gift that way. What do you think?

BTW- Thanks everyone for the above ideas. I may still come back to one of them.

cstack
01-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, some people would call it tacky and some people would say no, it's not. If your cousin wouldn't mind a used one, then that would be fine. Personally, I would also buy something else to be the "gift" and the double snap-n-go (because it's used) as an "I know you'll love this/need this kind of thing". FWIW, I bought a double at a consignment shop for I think $30 in perfect condition. I have not used it yet, as DGS#2 isn't here yet and my other DGS's mother and other grandmother are lying, conniving witches and won't let me see him (sorry, I guess that belongs on the bitching post).

denna
01-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I agree w/ pp. I would give it to her as a 'hey, I found this and thought it would be super helpful.' and then a couple of little outfits on the side or blankets or something. Thats just my opinon though.

HTH,

Denna

ShanaMama
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
That's a good idea. I'd like to give it to her, but not as the actual baby gift.
Thanks for your help!

kfk
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Adding a few ideas for the twin boys: new swaddlers (loved the velcro fleece ones by kidoppotomaus), HA zippers (got my first zippers as a baby present, am now addicted to them), Robeez (expensive when you have to buy 2 pairs). Also loved the burpies/blankies/bips from MrBopplesBlankets.com (soft and flannel, cute patterns). Does she have a twin nursing pillow (EZtoNurse)? Other ideas are diapers (or Target gift card), cleaning service, meals (for after her mom leaves), or someone to do an in-home massage.

For the girls, maybe gift cards to a bookstore (they can choose what they like), or if you're local, taking them out for a special meal/movie or a pedicure?