PDA

View Full Version : I failed a drug test! So confused...

JoyNChrist
01-18-2007, 02:02 AM
DH and I went to our insurance place today to renew the insurance on his truck and have my vehicle insurance switched over from another company. DH also has a life insurance policy through this company, and I wanted to be added to it as well. In order to add the life insurance, you have to take a drug test. Okay, that's cool, they give me the cup, I do my business - no problem.

Well, apparently there WAS a problem, because the agent called a couple hours later to awkwardly inform me that I had failed the drug test. That's it - no explanation of why or how or anything. She just said that they couldn't add me to the life insurance policy, but I was welcome to come back and re-test in 90 days.

Okay, I'm very pregnant. I haven't had anything stronger than a Diet Dr. Pepper in eight months (not that I was into anything illegal before that, but that's beside the point). How in the world did I fail a drug test?!?

Could it be my prenatal vitamins? I'm not taking any other medication, so I can't come up with an explanation. Can the tests malfunction? Is there any way to get them to let me re-test now, instead of having to wait?

It's not a huge deal, since I can always add the policy in three months. But it's kind of the principle of the thing, not to mention that it's just weird.

I think I might call them tomorrow to see if I can get some more information. But do any of y'all know anything about this kind of thing? It's just so odd!

Marisa6826
01-18-2007, 02:06 AM
It sounds silly, but do you eat a lot of foods with poppy seeds? They can totally throw a drug test if you consume a lot of them (opiates are derived from poppy flowers).

Weird, but I know it's happened to a few different people.

-m

Fairy
01-18-2007, 02:13 AM
You should be entitled to a copy of your drug test. I'd try to get a copy, see just what they said is the issue. If this agent says no, I wouldn't take that without a fight.

denna
01-18-2007, 07:38 AM
I wouldnt take this w/o a fight either, it is very much the principle of the matter.

Another reason why you could have failed (besides the techs screwing up the results) are if you use any sort of Hemp oils for body wash, lotions, etc. Other than that I cant really think of anything else that would cause you to fail a test. I dont know if the overload of hormones may cause something different mixed w/ the prenatals but I would definitely call them on it. If they give you crap maybe talk to your OB and explain the situation and see if they can do a blood test or explain why this happened. I would definitely want to clear my good name on this one and if they (the ins co.) is uncooperative maybe consider going through another company.

Good Luck Stacy I hope you win this!

o_mom
01-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Wow, they did the drug test in the insurance office?

I would call them on that. Every time I have been drug tested (employment, insurance) they send you to a qualified lab, collect the sample, seal and initial it and it goes under lock and key to be analyzed. They don't take any chances with the sample being switched, etc.

You have a right to a copy of that report - it is considered a medical record - throw HIPPA at them if you have to (duh, you would think an insurance company would know that). It could be something as simple as the urine being too dilute or too concentrated (I had to repeat once because I couldn't produce enough and I know people who failed because they drank too much water ahead of time).

ETA: The more sinister side of me says they want to delay until after you deliver so that they are not on the hook during the delivery which is a higher risk period. OR, that they won't write a policy on a pregnant woman and they don't want to say you were denied because of the pregnancy, so they just say you failed the urine test, not the "drug test".

kijip
01-18-2007, 07:50 AM
You *need* to fight this. Demand a copy of the report, which you have a right to see.

I don't want to freak you out but depending on who did the test they might be obligated to report it to the state as you are in fact pregnant. You clearly do not want that to happen which is why it is critical that you fight the bad result. Drug testing is not full proof and there are lots of variables that can cause a negative or incomplete result. As I understand it, places often offer a re-test just to ensure accuracy. A 90 day re-test is unacceptable.

elliput
01-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Contact the insurance company and demand that they accept a retest from an independent facility. Many companies require drug screens for employment so there should be several walk-in clinics that will be able to provide this service.

pb&j
01-18-2007, 08:34 AM
I used to work in an industry where drug testing was done on a regular basis. Failures were *very* rare, and I never heard of a failure that wasn't due to drugs, either legal or illegal. When your urine was tested, it should have been done in a controlled environment, with proper documentation of chain of possession. Your sample should have been split and sealed, meaning that it's divided into two portions. One for immediate testing, and a "B" sample to confirm results on the "A" sample, if necessary. You should have them test the B sample immediately. If these kinds of handling procedures weren't followed, you should be retested immediately, by a lab that *does* follow proper handling and documentation procedures.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

mapg
01-18-2007, 09:14 AM
You need to call them on this, something went screwy in test or your vitamins are messing things up, I knew some world class distance runners that seemed to think the testing was a joke, I heard them go through the list of things to explain certain positives. And these were people that didn't do drugs, this was just what they had picked up over years of competition. So obviously these tests are not full proof. Call your obstetrician, this is stress you don't need and you want to know what happened, at least it would bug me.

ShanaMama
01-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I was going to suggest this. My mother is a midwife & she had a pregnant woman test very high for opiates. The woman was beside herself, as the results of the test affected her life in a big way. (I forget the exact details). After going thru lots of different possibilities, the woman rememberred that she had eaten a poppy seed bagel for breakfast every day that week. Hence, the screwed results.

I agree with the pp that you are entitled to a copy of your results.

MarisaSF
01-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Any chance that they're denying you coverage because you are pregnant, but saying it's the drug test? (I'd stay away from the company if you find out they are outright lying to you.)

I don't know if one can be denied coverage for being pregnant. I do know we looked into life insurance when I *wasn't* pregnant because we figured the rates would be higher if I were pregnant at the time.

roysmom
01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I failed an insurance drug test one time because my protein levels were too high! They let me take another one the next week and the levels were fine. I would request a copy to see what you failed.

icunurse
01-18-2007, 12:38 PM
There are different foods and suplements that could interfere with a drug test to a degree, but they are rare and few. I agree with everyone else - get a copy of that dryug test ASAP. And not one that just says "failed", get specific results for what exactly you tested positive for. I would request a repeat test immediately if the test wasn't done in a secure environment or, hate to say it, have one done by your general practitioner. That way, if something is off, you can deal with it and figure it out or if it comes back fine, the insurance company has some explaining to do.

bubbaray
01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I did my law school thesis on mandatory drug testing. There are a LOT of common OTC drugs, foods, etc. that can give false positives for illegal substances. Poppy seeds have already been mentioned. Advil/motrin IIRC give a false +ve for PCP. I can't remember the others and my thesis has long since been shredded....

Definitely fight it.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

urquie
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
i had a false positive on a drug test while pregnant with dd. it was due to a pre-natal i was taking, but i can't remember which one?? my doctors office felt really bad!

table4three
01-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Life insurance policy drug screens don't just include illicit drugs but other things like blood pressure medication to make sure you aren't covering up an illness. Are you on anything for blood pressure?

I agree with PPs - get the details of exactly what part was positive. Sounds like an error or results influenced by something else (protein?)

kcimato
01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
My DD had a similar experience only she did not fail the drug test, they were not able to get a positive or a neg on it. They told her to come back a week later and the same thing happened.Consequently she did not get the job. Never did find out what went wrong. She was not PG or on any meds.

DrSally
01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Was it just a drug screening or a general "health" screening too. Once I took a sports physical and we went right after a soccer game and I had to retest b/c my ketones were high (from the exercise I guess), but came down in 1/2 hour.