PDA

View Full Version : Families w/Todders -Vacation Ideas

BaileyBea
01-18-2007, 07:50 PM
We had planned on going to NC in August to visit the IL's but MIL has made it perfectly clear she doesn't want us there.

So we are trying to find a good place to vacation with two small children A 2 1/2 year old and a 9-month old (at the time).

We would love to find a place that is familly/toddler friendly where we could easily get around w/a stroller etc... That has fun things for the Toddler to do.

Last year we did Seattle and it was the BEST! This year we would like to try somewhere different. I am exhausted from the MIL issue and I can't come up w/any original ideas.

Can ya'll make any recommendations that would be good for a family with small children?

Thanks
Nancy

icunurse
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I've never been to either of them (and I am not sure where your starting point is), but what about Sesame Street Place or the Nick Jr hotels?

npace19147
01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Tyler Place in VT - heaven!

BaileyBea
01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
WOW! Cool! I never even heard of these places. Well... I heard of SS Place but the other places I haven't.

I need to get out more often... ;-)

I'm going to look up the Nick Jr Hotel and Tyler Place.

I really want to try a new place. We tend to go to the west coast.

We were thinking of renting a house for a month this summer in Santa Fe.

Thanks
Nancy

bubbaray
01-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm not much into camping, but I actually quite enjoy renting a (nice) RV or 5th wheel. We did it again this past summer and DD had a BLAST! We literally had deer in our campsite 5 feet from us and she loved that more than any children's character we could have taken her to see. This coming summer, we are renting a 5th wheel and going again.

Sorry to hear about your MIL. ILs -- can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

spanannie
01-18-2007, 11:57 PM
I still can't recommend Seaside, FL enough. We love it and there are TONS of small children there!

BaileyBea
01-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Yes, we were talking about a cool camping trip to Yellowstone or Boulder area.

Oh... MIL.. is a piece of work. I'll post about that one on the B* Board. I finally calmed down from fuming at her since about 2 this afternoon.

Nancy

BaileyBea
01-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Seaside! Yes, that would be so fun. I think it would be a blast for the kids. Plus, I love the architectual plan to Seaside. The whole smart building/community thing.

Thanks

Nancy

Tondi G
01-19-2007, 12:37 AM
we are west coast people so my first thought was San Diego! Lots to do and see and super family friendly! I've heard that the Sandpiper Club Med in Fl is supposed to be great too!

I'm glad to hear Seattle was fun... we may be making a trip up there so visit with some friends and I know nothing about Seattle!

Good luck... sorry about your MIL!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

BeachBum
01-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Amelia Island, Florida is nice. There is a nice Hampton Inn and suites in the downtown area which is on the river and has lots of shops and restaurants.
There is also the Amelia Island Plantation which is a resort on the island. It is very nice as well and on the beach.
There is a Ritz Carlton on the Island as well. All three are good options depending on your price range and needs. There are also lots of house/condo options if you prefer that route.I think Amelia (the town is Fernandina Beach) is nice because it is a real town--not just a resort. It is small and quaint.

We have also had a great time at Sandestin. It is a pretty contained resort (not too much to do outside the resort other than boutique shopping /dining) but the resort is great. They have a really nice restaurant/shopping area on the property . We really liked it when traveling iwth our son who was about 9 mo last summer. We could walk to the restaurants. There was a good mix of casual/nice. We had a 1 bedrom condo/hotel room. The pool was zero entry which was super.

I do think that seaside would be a nice option too. We made a 1/2 day stop when we were in Sandestin.

BaileyBea
01-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Humm Florida is coming up a lot. I am going to research it today.

I thought about San Diego but we were on the fence to to that this year or next year when DS is older. I think Lego Land and the Zoo would be so much fun!

All of these places are sounding lovely. You all made me feel so much better about taking a vacation this year. I was extremely bummed out before.

Thanks so much,
Nancy

COElizabeth
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I've read about Tyler Place and gotten its information packet, but I'd love to hear any more details you'd like to share. It looks like a fun place.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9/02
and Charlotte, 11/04

npace19147
01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I know there have been some discussions of it here in the past if you do a search. The concept is not for everyone, but as far as I'm concerned it is the perfect vacation.

Your family goes for an entire week (sometimes you can do a partial week) and stays in your own residence - either a separate cabin or a condo unit. Every morning your kids go to camp, where they have breakfast and activities, then lunch. This goes for all kids, newborn to teens. The adults have breakfast in a communal room where you can meet other guests or just be private. There are organized activities for the adults that you can sign up for, or you can just relax, read a book, get a massage, go for a swim or a bike ride, take a yoga class, etc. etc. Then the adults have lunch similar to breakfast, and pick the kids up from camp at 1pm. You then spend the afternoon with your kids until 5pm, when the older kids go back to camp for dinner and evening activities. Babies and toddlers get a sitter for dinner and bedtime. Parents go to dinner on their own, and then can join in activities like a blackjack night, trivia night, etc. or just hang out, have a drink, etc.

Can you tell I'm reminiscing about prior years?

Some people don't like the time away from their kids, but I'm a full time SAHM, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't count as a vacation for me if I don't get some downtime away from DD. I love her dearly, but this way we all get a break, and she really enjoyed the camp time this last year.

It is not cheap, but I think it's worth every penny. And it is pretty much all inclusive, there are some optional extras but not much.

LMK if you have more questions, can you tell I'm a cheerleader for them? (We were even quoted in this year's brochure!) :)

kristenk
01-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I would love to go to Tyler Place! (I think I probably mentioned that on the other Tyler Place thread. LOL)

I think I'll probably wait until DD is a little older and more used to the idea of her doing something different than mommy & daddy. It sounds wonderful, though.

Maybe next summer! (crossing fingers and wishing really hard!)

billysmommy
01-19-2007, 10:04 PM
We do a week on Nantucket. Billy loves it!!! There are beautiful beaches, some with playgrounds. Great bike trails, we rent the bikes and the trailer - Billy loves riding around in it especially to the beaches. Phenomenal restaurants and they pretty much all allow children - we usually ate around 6:00 (when they opened) and while walking home (around 8:30 or so after ice creams) we would see everyone arriving at the restaurants. We rent a house as it is so much easier with the kids. most have washer/dryers and there is a concierge service on the island that will do your grocery (and beverage :) ) shopping for you and have the house stocked when you get there. We take the high-speed ferry, it only takes an hour to get there from Hyannis.
We look forward to it every year. I'm just starting to plan it now for this coming summer. It will be even more fun this year because Benjamin will be older - last year he was 3 months so just kinda sat there.

hellbennt
01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Here's a vote for Sandpiper!!

we went when ds was about 18mos w/ dh, my parents, my sister & her dd who was 2, bil, other sister

it was great to have time alone & there aren't many club meds that take babies/toddlers under 3 I think it is? just sandpiper & one in hte Dominican republic...

~laura in miami~
jonah 7/03
Ari 7/06