PDA

View Full Version : Is this how a board is supposed to be??

dontdoit
01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I thought it was funny-the post about what are ewe doing tonight. Never once did I start to think that some inside joke was going on that I didn't get. When I clicked on the replies under that thread and they turned into comments rather than just sheep pics, I became confused and rather insulted, as thoughI am wasting my time on this board. I thought that we were all here to share stories, BARGAINS :), make eachother laugh. I mean, c'mon this is cyberspace, as if there isn't enough drama and jerk-off people to deal with face-to-face. And then I read posts about people being upset with the mods and vice versa, and I start catching on to cliques. It's just like this group that had Knoxville moms meet up once a month. I signed onto it on Yahoo! Groups, and next thing I know, they are typing insults to eachother. I never ended up going on a playdate with these women. I am 26 years old-the younger one of that group, and I was disgusted that these women older than me were picking on eachother-when its really just about meeting new people with similarities and differences and accepting eachother. Unless you can walk on water, or turn water into wine, don't judge the next person and don't be pretentious.
Ummm..thanks for reading! :) Have a great weekend everyone!
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/aerokirt/008_1.gif

mommyoftwo
01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
There has been a fair amount of drama lately and there is a lot of history behind it some of which I don't know, but really and truly most of the time we get along and help each other out. I sincerely hope that this all dies down soon and we can go back to the important matters at hand-taking care of our children and supporting each other to become the best moms we can be. I hope you don't give up on us quite yet. The truth is that just like IRL, there are people that are nice, people that are mean, and people that just don't get along for whatever reason. It's sometimes easy to forget that when everything is over the internet. BTW, I love Carlton's dance.

SnuggleBuggles
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
I just stay away from the drama here and other boards. It's pretty easy. There are times I wonder what the inside joke or whatever is about but I'm probably happier not knowing. There are plenty of other threads to read and respond to. I stick with those and it has worked well. While I haven't really made any "friends" I have enjoyed chatting with the nice parents here. :)

Beth

jenjenfirenjen
01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
ITA! To the OP, yes, I this is how every other board I am on is. Sorry to betray my gender, but when get this many women together (more than 2, lol) it's bound to happen. Girls are mean. And sometimes they're great. I just continue to give what I can to this board, take what I need, and ignore the rest.

LarsMal
01-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I haven't been on the boards long enough to know what the drama is all about, and I haven't had much time lately to read the boards carefully- I just wanted to say I LOVE your dancing Carlton!!!! That made me LOL!!!

robinsonbn
01-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Ah Carolton! Hehe!
Just wanted to say though I am not in any cliques and what not. I haven't really noticed any but I tend to be unobservive(sp). I love talking to everyone here it has helped me out a great deal. And I know what you mean about not wanting to deal with drama on here, I also understand PP thing about this many woman bound to be drama hehe it's our curse :) I have seen a few of the issues on this board but I try to stay away mainly because I'm not involved and just get confused. I also wanted to say I know what you mean about being the youngest in a group, I'm 21 and DH is 6 years older than me. So many of our married freinds are all older, there are times I want to scream at some of the mothers "I did my research, I asked my mommy board :), and just because I am younger does not mean I am full of BS when I talk about parenting!" Anyway, hope you have a great weekend as well.

Tracey
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I first started posting here in 2002 and lurked some before then when we were TTC, but I would not consider myself an old timer since I’ve never gotten into the social aspects of BBB. I go in spells where I’ll check the boards regularly and post some and when I have too much going on to spend time on the computer.

So is this how the boards are around here….eh, not really. Mostly it’s helpful information. It’s easy to overlook this stuff. What you are seeing is the ugly face of internet addiction. This isn’t directed to anyone personally, just a general observation about people with too much time on their hands. There are two rival and warring cliques that broke from here a couple of years ago. The sheep thing is either talking about the other group being easily led, or possibly the rest of us poor outcasts being easily led (seems ironic that those of us not in a group headed by an individual would be called sheep, but whatever) . “Old-timers� come around occasionally and talk about how much better the boards were back in the day. The boards were not better back then; they were just filled with more people looking to transfer their internet addiction from the “chat room� craze of the late ‘90s to this bulletin board. The boards are FAR better now because there is less drama, less instigating/pot stirring, and less people looking for a different experience from just sharing parenting information. You don’t see the “new� people involved in any of the catty BS. It’s a kinder place. Calling it like I see it.

bunnisa
01-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Ever attend Middle School? Yeah, reminds me of that.

I love this board for practical information. There are some really knowledgeable people here who have been generous with their time and advice. I've truly benefitted from their contributions and am grateful for it. Honestly, I think that's the best thing to seek from this particular board. Just ignore the extraneous stuff. It's cyclical and tends to die down after awhile.

...blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

lizajane
01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
you are not wasting your time. they are wasting their time. just don't be dramatic and you won't be involved in the drama. i have no drama. i just ignore it. to each his own, ya know? just read the fun posts, the helpful posts, the supportive posts, the posts YOU like and care about. THAT is how a board is supposed to be.

maestramommy
01-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't have much to say about your post. Generally if I start to recognize it's getting dicey and I don't understand what it's about, I just stay off the thread.

But really I just want to say I LOVE your dancing Carlton! It's one of the funniest moments on the show!

dontdoit
01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
What is ITA? I'm still not down with all the lingo yet, but I'm catching on. Thanks for the replies, I was starting to think I was the only one not involved with whatever is going on here. I'll just pay it no mind.
OH, and here's another one for ya'll.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/krishytredwood/carlton-1.gif[/IMG]

maestramommy
01-19-2007, 06:38 PM
ITA = I totally agree.

Where do you get these video clips? They're priceless! I know Will Smith was the star of the show, but it wouldn't be what it was without Carlton! Hilarious, when you consider he was the dancing kid on "Silver Spoons."

robinsonbn
01-19-2007, 06:40 PM
:) ROFL!!

That made my night...go Carlton Shake ya booty!

dontdoit
01-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Melinda,

You can go to photobucket.com, and on the top of the page there is a search for images. I just typed in Carlton dancing.
Alright, I'm slowly getting sucked into this BBB. I have to get off of here!!
BUT..before I go..
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/Galandathor/carlton.gif[/IMG]

jenjenfirenjen
01-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Here's a great thread to help you decifer all the acronyms:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=87&topic_id=63&mode=full&page=

HTH!

ErinMC
01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
>I just continue to give
>what I can to this board, take what I need, and ignore the
>rest.

Hear hear! Well said Jen.

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

C99
01-19-2007, 10:31 PM
No. In my experience participating in online, Web-based communities (since about 1998), most boards are not like this.

They are much meaner, snarkier, cattier and competitive. Group-think and drama eventually happens on just about every board I've ever been on (which are comprised primarily of women), including this one. for the most part, I think the BBB manages to rise above it most of the time. As Jen (jenjenfireenjen) said below, girls are mean. But sometimes they are not. I try to stay connected to the community, so give what I can, but being connected to the community also means that I feel more invested into and insulted by the community as a whole as well, and more likely to take things personally sometimes, even if they are not.

JennM
01-20-2007, 07:47 AM
OK, now why do I have the song "It's Not Unusual" running through my head now?!!

Thanks for sharing the dancing Carltons!

gatorsmom
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I was just reading the boards because I bookmarked a discussion on here about toddler activities in Las Vegas, when I saw your thread. I guess I"m considered an old-timer because I've been here since 2003, but I don't think I fit in to the social groups. Until recently, I didn't even KNOW there were social groups, to tell you the truth. How dense am I? haha

Anyway, I think these boards are great. I skim them for ideas and advice every couple of days and add my 2 cents worth when I think I can help. I can see that there are some who are on these all day long and I think that they must be lonely, frustrated, or addicted. It doesn't have to be a negative experience. In fact, you don't even have to be aware there's anything going on!!! :)

Ceepa
01-20-2007, 01:03 PM
OK, I had to laugh at Carlton. That show was so ridiculous and funny.

-Ceepa