PDA

View Full Version : Will high speed internet be enough to help me?

JustMe
01-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, I am still in the dark ages with a dial up connection. Most of the time it doesnt bother me. However, it is creating huge problems as I cant upload pics from a high res. camera to kodakgallery and similar sites(I tried resizing, but it just doesnt work as well as I'd like), and I would also like to be able to listen to songs, etc, on the internet. Will it help my sister to view us better with a webcam?

My local isp provider has high speed internet for only $5/mo more than I am paying. I cant afford digital or cable, so will the high speed help or not.

Thanks for your help!

Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

elliput
01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Simply, yes. It will help tremendously.

stefani
01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
O yes, we had dialup for so long, until Verizon had DSL for $20/ month. I think we paid $10 or $15 for dialup before.

It is so nice that things just download & upload so much faster.

jgriffin
01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Not only will it help, you will wonder how you managed to live without it within, oh, say 10 minutes. Maybe less. :)

Jen

JustMe
01-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.

What exactly is high speed internet, and is it enough when compared with dsl, which I understand to be something different. I know that dsl is better, but cant afford it right now.

Also, my isp offers high speed internet for $14.95/mo. Is that the best deal anyone knows if?

TIA,
Robyn
single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

elliput
01-20-2007, 09:31 AM
DSL is considered to be high speed internet. There are two types of high speed aka broadband internet: DSL and Cable Modem. Here is the Wikipedia info on broadband http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_speed_internet

ETC- typo

JustMe
01-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Geesh, I had no idea dsl was the same thing as high speed internet! Talk about needing internet connections for dummies!

Thanks so much!

Robyn

JustMe
01-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I just checked my isp's homepage and its high speed access, not high speed internet! I'm pretty sure this is not the same thing and not as good?

Anyone know the cheapest high speed internet deal I can get?

TIA,

Robyn