PDA

View Full Version : TMI question (re - condoms)

JoyNChrist
01-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Okay, I know all of this is TMI, but y'all have become my source of info for just about everything I can think of, so I'm gonna give this is shot...

Has anyone been diagnosed with a semen allergy or know anything about it? I've read that this is possible, but really don't know anything about the condition. Why I'm asking...

I started taking the pill when I was 16 in order to regulate my cycles. With DH, we used condoms until we decided to TTC (he was super-paranoid about having an "accident" so he felt better with a "double safety measure" lol). Well, I noticed once we started TTC that I would often have pain after intercourse...kind of a burning, itchy sensation. It would go away if I took a hot bath immediately after, so that's usually what I did. When I went in for my first prenatal visit, I asked my OB about it. He recommended that we both be tested for STD's. I thought this was kind of useless (since we'd each only had one other partner and had never had intercourse without a condom with anyone before we were TTC), but we agreed to do it. Everything came back normal, of course. That particular OB seemed to kind of brush off my concerns after that - he recommended just using a condom if it bothered me not to do so.

I ended up switching doctors at about 5 months into my pregnancy, because I felt my previous OB wasn't caring/attentive enough. I haven't asked my current OB about the issue, mostly because I'd forgotten about it since we've been using condoms. Well, Wednesday night we realized a little too late in the game (lol) that we'd run out of condoms, so I said we'd just try without one. Sure enough, the itching, burning, and pain came back.

I have an appointment next week and will ask my OB about it then, but I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar? It's not such a big deal right now, since the condoms aren't really a hassle, but I know we'd both prefer not to use them. Plus, I'm concerned about when we decide to TTC #2 - sex is a little less fun when you're wondering how bad it's gonna hurt afterwards. Not to mention that immediately jumping out of bed to take a hot bath isn't the most romantic thing in the world, lol.

Any advice or similar experience? (Sorry again for the TMI.)

TIA!

ETA - I've never had any kind of pain after intercourse if we use a condom, which is why I'm thinking it has to be some sort of semen allergy. I just can't think of anything else it could be...

buddyleebaby
01-20-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm just wondering if the lack of a lubricant (assuming you use lubricated condoms) when you are not using a condom is irritating you?

JoyNChrist
01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Hmm...you know, I hadn't thought of that. Might be something to it...thanks.

Radosti
01-20-2007, 08:20 AM
There is also a prostaglandin allergy. When we went for fertility and I was inseminated, they didn't wash DH's semen enough and ended up injecting semen with prostaglandins into my uterus. I was doubled over in horrid pain as my body reacted very badly to the prostaglandins. The doctor informed me that I was only the 2nd patient in his 20 years of practice to have this allergic reaction. Ummm... gee, good to know.

But normally, just having intercourse doesn't hurt as the prostaglandins don't make it to my uterus. So, there really might just be something to the lubricant thing.

SnuggleBuggles
01-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Me! I actually googled "semem allergy" 2 weeks ago. It's been going on for years (itching, mostly) and I hadn't really put 2 and 2 together. I knew it was worst when I had my period though and bad if we had been having a lot of sex. But, I always thought it was eczema since it feels like the patch of that I have somewhere else. It also would go through phases where it wouldn't bother me then it would flare up. I thought it flared up during my period for other reasons.

But, I really just figured it out for myself the other day. It isn't semen specific. We hadn't done that for like 3 days and in that time I was having excessive discharge (way TMI, I know). That was making me itch just like the other.

So, it must be some skin condition that is getting irritated by moisture. I thought maybe it was yeast related or something but that's probably not it. I really need to get to a dermatologist. The skin feels realy dry almost all the time but usually only bothers me after sex or with a lot of discharge.

I would say go to a dermatologist. That''s my plan. My CNM has never been much help with it. He just said to go see a dermatologist. :) Problem is all the ones around me have ridiculous waits for appts. Best to get my name down somewhere though as it has rreally been going on at least 2 years.

So glad I am not alone!

Wish I had some help to offer though!

ETA- I found that I don't need to take a shower after. So long as I dry off I am fine. Also, wearing a panty liner helps since it makes things not as wet. And, lubrication is not an issue so I don't think that's what it is for me.

Beth