PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: I might have sprained my ankle - what do I do?

kristenk
01-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Update: Thanks for the advice. I went to the local walk-in clinic this morning. I saw the PA and they took x-rays. The good news is that nothing's broken. They gave me a brace for my ankle and basically recommended that I stay off it as much as possible, ice it 3-4 times per day and keep it elevated. So nothing new, but I'm definitely glad to confirm that they didn't see a fracture. Whew! Thanks for the help!

------------------------------------------------------
Last night, I stepped on/tripped over DD's large Target bouncy ball (you know, the ones in the end cap cage?). I thought my ankle was fine initially. Then it started to hurt a little. I followed the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) treatment and thought that we'd really know what was going on this morning.

Well, my foot looks fine this morning. I don't even notice any swelling. It just hurts like anything when I try to bend it or walk. My questions: can it still be sprained w/absolutely no noticeable swelling? What in the world am I supposed to do? Is this something that I'm supposed to wait out over the weekend and go to my primary doc on Monday? Or, try one of the walk-in clinics this weekend? Or something else?

To complicate matters, we leave for WDW a week from tomorrow and this is sooooooo *NOT* what I need right now. :(

bubbaray
01-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a sprain to me, but you might want an x-ray just to make sure. I'd go to a walk in clinic or urgent care center.

I've had tons of sprains, some of which didn't swell much at all. But, I know what a sprain feels like and what to do -- if you don't have a lot of experience, its always better to be safe than sorry, especially if you have a trip coming up.

Hope you feel better soon!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

mapg
01-20-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd try one of the walk-ins. Get it X-rayed to make sure you haven't done any real damage.
MA

SammyeGail
01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Go the the dr if you can and get it X-rayed.

Once I fell off a ladder and landed hard on my foot. It hurt, but not 'too' bad. 2 weeks later it was still hurting so i went in and found out I had fractured it. I sprained my ankle twice, ignored it once for a while, went straight to dr the second time, had learned my lesson : ).

They didn't put it in a case or anything, just had to wear one of those things to give it lots of support. I feel a little stupid I can't remember what they're called, lol! Oh!! a brace : ).

Samantha

brittone2
01-20-2007, 11:08 AM
ITA w/ the xray, especially w/ your upcoming trip. You don't want to find out it is fractured while you are away. It would be worse than finding out now. Having to find medical care while you are out of town would be a nightmare.

eta: I hope it is nothing significant and you'll be feeling better soon.