PDA

View Full Version : How do you find time to exercise?

kozachka
01-20-2007, 08:07 PM
My doctor has told me to start exercising. Apparently, all my back and joints aches (and even stomach problems) stem from the lack of physical activity. I know he's right as I was fine during our recent vacation despite walking all day long and my back did not hurt at all until the day I got back to the office where I spend most of the day in front of computer. I am not a morning person and I already do some exercises at home in the evenings. DH thinks I should go to the gym two-three a week in the evenings while he tends to DS but I feel so guilty about it as I already spend the whole day at work.

kristenk
01-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I think you should take DH up on his offer. Come up with 2x per week that you can go to the gym. Go as soon as you get off work, if the gym is on your way home.

I almost wasn't going to reply to your post b/c you're a WOHM and I'm a SAHM so what works for me won't work for you (I go 2x during the week when DD is in school and on Saturday sometime), but then I thought about what your doctor said. If exercising will help reduce/end your back and joint aches, won't you be a much happier, more energetic mom for your DS? I know you'll be taking away some of the time you have with him, but this is something you need to do for your health. Just try to do 2x per week at the gym for a few weeks and see if it works out for you. I think you owe it to yourself (and your family) to give it a try. Oh, and maybe you could try to do something active as a family on the weekend - go for a long walk, etc. so that you get some exercise in and some time with your family.

And kudos to your DH for stepping up and encouraging you to go! :)

lilycat88
01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm in your situation as well. I also am not a morning person and struggle to drag myself to the office by 9:00. I just started working with a trainer and that's been my help. I was honest with her (and myself) by saying that there is no way I can be at the gym more than 3 days a week. And, the realistic view is that I can't be there more than once per work week so that leaves going Saturday and Sunday. She is designing a program for me that will allow for that. She has clients who only are able to make it to the gym on the weekends so she designs a program that includes stuff you can do at home with an exercise ball or something. So, DH and I have each committed to making time for each other to go to the gym once a week and then we will both go on the weekends. I envision us both going on Saturday morning when the gym has childcare and then switching off on Sundays. I can't affort the trainer to actually work out with me more than every couple of weeks but just having something designed for a 3 a day schedule that covers everything is a huge help. I also am trying to incorporate any type of exercise into my daily routine. I work at a computer most of the day as well but I try to take the stairs some and walk a bit during the mid-day if it isn't too cold. Unfortunately, I work on the 12th floor and walking UP 12 flights isn't really in my plan yet. So, I generally walk 4-5 and walk DOWN all 12. We just got a jogging stroller that DH and I are going to be using as soon as it gets above FREEZING and the snow we're supposed to be getting melts.

I'm hopeful that we can make this work. Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
It is tough not to feel guilty taking the time in the evening to exercise when you could be homw with your child. BUT, think long term. If you get healthier now he will have more fun with you as you are more able to play with him (more energy/ less pain). Also, could live longer which I bet ds will remember more than you not being home a few nights a week when he was 3. :)

I would start off with a short personal training contract. Sign up for 1-2 workouts per week for a month. That could help you get in the groove and get you set with a custom workout.

I think it is also great to find a class. It could be a weight class (there are branded classes out there like Body Pump and Group Power which are really fun and really deliver results you can see- which helps!), yoga, pilates...or something like a tap class! If you have to pay ahead of time then you have more incentive to go. But, even if you just drop in and meet some people that could be enough to make it worth going.

I have been going to the gym 2 nights a week for class and then most mornings while ds is at school. I feel bad putting ds in the gym's babysitting those nights but ds isn't home yet. Really though, he likes it and it is only 1 hour at a time.

It is nice for your dh to have one on one time with ds too. :)

Beth

maestramommy
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Yup, take Dh up on his offer. He spends all day at work too, doesn't he? You don't need to feel guilty about doing something that is necessary to your good health.

niccig
01-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Make a deal with DH. You go twice a week to the gym and he's home with DS, and then he goes twice a week and you're home. You could both get fitter and you have some alone onne-on-one time with DS.

kozachka
01-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Thank you for your support, ladies :). I will look into gym options around where we live (my office is moving to a new building in March-April) and will try to take DH on his offer. We have also talked about taking DS to play tennis with us when it gets warmer. He's had a few mini-classes and has perfect backhand ;). I try to take stairs as often as I can and walk back home (25-30 mis) from work on most days but apparently it's not enough.

My doctor has also suggested looking into Tae Kwon-Do and another type of martial arts, the name of which I have already forgot LOL, as I get bored in gyms and working out in a group keeps me better motivated. Unfortunately, yoga, which I practiced before having DS, is not good for my back :(. Off to search for gyms and martial arts groups in my area.

MarisaSF
01-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Elena -
Not sure if this is an option where you are, but we found several local gyms with on-site childcare. We pay $100/year for unlimited drop-in childcare. The room is clean, secure, and well staffed. Best thing: they have a closed-circuit TV so we can watch DD from around the gym!
That way, DH or I can bring her by ourselves and we all go together whenever we can.

Definitely don't feel guilty taking care of yourself. I would take DH up on that offer! :)

lizajane
01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
how about a mommy and me exercise video???

i think you need to take the time to go. it will be great for DH and DS to have that special time together. and more importantly, a healthy YOU is a healthy MOM.

bubbaray
01-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Can you exercise at lunch during the workweek? Even walking 30 minutes is better than working through lunch (like I normally do), KWIM?

I'm in the same boat. I was extremely fit pre-DD#1 and now struggle with being, well, not so fit. DH encourages me to go the gym (I pay for a family membership that we rarely use) after work, but I would rather see DD. I know its good for me to go, but I feel guilty.

I would ask your dr why yoga isn't good for your back. Honestly, I have found it to be the best exercise for my back (I've had numerous back injuries). Pilates hurts though.

Good luck!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007