PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on a friend's baby shower gift?

kozachka
01-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Normally I'd spend $25-$30 but this Saturday would be one of my best friend's shower and I feel like that would be too little. The maximum I ever spent for a shower was $100 and only because we were staying at that friend's house for couple nights.

I talked to this friend earlier today and she said that while they have registered for a few things they really have everything they need from DS1 except for a car seat. She wants to get a better one that what came with her Graco stroller. I am not sure if that was a hint but from what I remember a good car seat costs $100-$150, which is a bit more than what I'd be willing to spend. I am thinking of maybe suggesting to share the cost with another friend or two. Is $50-$75 too stingy (for the lack of better word)? My standard shower gift is normally a Gymbo outfit for the baby but I am almost certain that whatever I give to this particular friend, other than a car seat, would be returned for store credit so I am thinking of either that or a gift certificate.

mommy111
01-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Elena, I think splitting a great car seat like a Britax between 3 friends is entirely reasonable. Your friend gets what she wants and you don't have to break the bank to get it. If you would like to spend closer to $100, do 2 people splitting the car seat, or, alternatively, you may want to put in a little care package for mom (food delivery, cleaning service, a nice lotion set that she likes) which, I am sure, will be really appreciated and which few people except her closest friends will think of!

MeAndMyStar
01-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Normally, I spend about $50. If it was a really good friend, maybe $100. If I didn't know them super well, probably $30. HTH!

deannamorrison
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
It depends....longetivity and quality of friendship..budget...choices on the registry. As a rule, I always buy off of the registry. That said, it ranges between $30 and $50

Jenn98
01-21-2007, 03:48 PM
This is about how much I spend, too - budget permitting, of course! In your situation, I'd probably buy something off the registry, give a GC to a stoer she can get the car seat at, or give cash/check. I usually never give gift cards or cash unless there's no way to avoid it. Since your friend specifically said she really wants a car seat, I think it's be totally acceptable to give her a GC or cash and say it's for the car seat. JMHO!

megs4413
01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
if she's the type that will return for store credit if it isn't the right thing...then i'd give a gift card. she'll love it!

i think going in on a car seat with a friend is a great idea, though. we do this all the time with my playgroup moms. we all pitch in what we can and get a really big ticket item.

the most i've ever spent was $300. but that was a really close friend that needed the help. normal for a "non-close" friend/relative is $30. closer friend is $50 and super close i may spend even $100 depending on if my Dh will find out.... ;)

Radosti
01-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm splitting a Britax Marathon with DH's mother and younger sister for DH's older sister's shower in February. Or at least I was told they would split it with me. I found a great deal on Babystyle in october and it ended up being $163 shipped. I haven't seen any money from DH's family as of yet. So, I might be giving it to her from us alone although I didn't expect to be spending that much. I also got her a $30 frame thing from Discovery store where you put a picture of the baby on one side and a clay imprint on the other side. So, unless they help me out, I'll be at almost $200 for my SIL.

maestramommy
01-21-2007, 04:24 PM
I think getting together with other friends to purchase a more spendy item is a good idea. That's how we got our stroller, although what happened there was that our church started a "stroller fund." I remember that about 5 people got together and got us a new Baby Bjorn, which costs about as much as a carseat.

For a really good friend I'd spend probably around $50. Maybe more, maybe less. It would depend on what her needs were.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Depends on the person. At least $40 and not more than $80. If I have to travel for the shower that may impact what end of that range. :)

There is a difference to me for a first baby shower gift (or first baby after like 5+ years) and a second+ baby in pretty short time. 2nd+ babies typically get a $20-30 gift, mom gets about a $15 gift and sometimes older siblings get a $5-10 gift.

So, if you think $50-75 is too stingy then I am stingy too. :)

I'll probably splurge like crazy when my childhood best friend and my SILs have babies.

Beth

blueeyedb
01-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I usually spend about $50. I've been known to spend more, but usually in cases where the help is needed. If you can find someone else to split the carseat with you, I think that would be great.

almostamom
01-21-2007, 04:59 PM
For most showers I spend about $30-40. For people I'm closest to (sister, best friend, etc.) I've either purchased their car seat or stroller. I think it's absolutely appropriate to give a gift card in whatever amount you choose (btw, 50-75 is NOT a bit stingy) so that your friend can use it toward a car seat. This is how we purchased DS' Britax and I was very grateful to have those GCs! We received GCs ranging from $10-100. We used every dime of them!!

HTH,
Linda

DrSally
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
For a good friend, I do $50-$75. I like the idea of going in with a friend for something bigger. If she returns everything and doesn't have a very extensive registry, then it's hard unless you know she doesn't have something that you think she'd like--like a bumbo seat, bumpkin bibs, a special toy like a bumpie gertie...

ETA: Family $200

Lovingliv
01-21-2007, 09:56 PM
A really good friend $100

Family $150

KrisM
01-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Usually around $50. But, for a shower in a couple weeks, I'm at about $80. They're having twins, and it seems I need to buy 2 of everything :). And, they're CDing, so I had fun with that.

kijip
01-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Close friend/family- up to $200 or so. Usually about $100.

Friend- anywhere from $20-60 depending on the circumstances (I will admit to spending more on people that need the help the most.)

kozachka
01-22-2007, 05:18 AM
Thank you for all the replies. I've e-mailed two of our friends to see if they'd be interested in sharing the cost of a car seat. If not, than I'd give her a GC to BRU where she has registered. Based on your feedback I am thinking $75-$100, depending on what DH says.

On a side note, is it my imagination or infant car seats got that more expensive? I remember our top of the line SnugRide (without boot as we were in CA) being just over $100. Of course, I did not pay for it, it was a gift from MIL, so I might be wrong. Similar looking seats go for $150-$180 these day. Ouch.

denna
01-22-2007, 06:36 AM
ITA Katie, I do the same. And I definitely take into account who needs what the most and their circumstances.

I think splitting the price of a great car seat sounds like a good idea to me.
:)

KBecks
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Yikes! A gift you know will be returned.... Then, go for a gift certificate in an amount that is comfortable for you, and maybe do something small that's personal to spice it up. $50-$75 is perfect.