PDA

View Full Version : Trying out a cleaning service, have some Q's.

maestramommy
01-21-2007, 04:30 PM
So Dh and I are going to try having someone come in to clean every other week. I called a Merry Maids, and they are coming in to do an estimate this week. Then my mom's friend has a cleaning lady (independent) that I thought I might check out. I'm just wondering,

Is there a difference between a service and an independent cleaning lady?

For the service, are you supposed to tip the cleaners in addition to the fee you pay?

In general is there anything either will NOT do?

If you want to use green products (of the vinegar, Dr. Bronners and baking soda vareity) will they use them?

Has anyone used both and found one to be more desirable over the other? Why?

deannamorrison
01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, I just wrote about my first experience(which was a complete disappointment)
My opinion is that you should be there for the first clean(and thereafter if it is feasible).Also, don't count of references. The one I called gave the Maid Brigade glowing references and they really weren't that great...

deannamorrison
01-21-2007, 04:42 PM
One thing I did want to mention(and I'm not stereotyping as my own Oma was German) is that Germans are well known for being great cleaners.In fact, there are some companies out there who use the tagline "We clean the German way"

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Is there a difference between a service and an independent cleaning lady?
You know who you are going to get with an independent person. But, and independent person may not be as reliable since if an illness or something pops up they have no fall back.

Also, with a service they are so by the books that they will clean for X time and do X jobs (I have found). It's nice to have the flexibility with one person that you get to know.

For the service, are you supposed to tip the cleaners in addition to the fee you pay?
I tip each cleaner a little bit, even with a service.

In general is there anything either will NOT do?
I think they will do most anything and just charge more.

If you want to use green products (of the vinegar, Dr. Bronners and baking soda vareity) will they use them?
Mine will if I ask. Also consider that many bring in sponges, mops, rags... with them so ask how they are cleaned/ maintained between houses just so they aren't spreading other peoples' germs into your house.

Has anyone used both and found one to be more desirable over the other? Why?
I like our independent cleaner for reasons I mentioned above.

Beth

MarisaSF
01-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Melinda-
I prefer using independent people because then all the money goes directly to the cleaner(s), not to the company. I've only hired people to work in my house if they have glowing references from neighbors/friends. Actually, I found one person once through Craigslist and she was awesome (and had glowing references) and then *I* quickly passed her name along to several friends.

The cleaners we have now come in a group of 4 women. I love that it only takes them a little over an hour and then they are out of my house. Works best that way for scheduling playdates and naps and such now that I am a SAHM. I prefer not to be in the house when the cleaners are there.

I was specifically looking for someone who would use my "green" products --- seems like I use the same as you. I made stuff up and label it "furniture polish," "tub scrub," "countertop cleaner," etc. in individual containers. I taught them how to make floor mop -- water, vinegar, TTO -- and they do that every time for the kitchen. I figure it is healthier for me, my family, them, and the planet. They also use my washcloths; I bought a stack of inexpensive ones at Costco and wash them myself.

I tip a little each week and then a bigger gift/tip at the holidays.

Good luck!

matthewsmom
01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi Melinda,

We've used both cleaning service and an independent cleaning lady. It really depends on what you would prefer. I've used Merry Maids before and I hated it. We were using them to clean our house before we moved in (you know the deep cleaning stuff). They were hired to do 2 hours worth of work between the 2 cleaners and 20 minutes before the 2 hours was up, they were packing up. First they didn't clean at all. My DH and I were also cleaning with them. We just needed the extra help and I found that they (these particular ladies) were so slow and just wasn't really cleaning. So I would personally not use them again. However, we now use an independent cleaning service. Usually 3 ladies (the same ones) will come at a certain time and clean for us. I found that they are much better and faster. I think it takes them about 2 hours to do the cleaning but I found that they are really thorough. Sometimes I will ask them to use my solutions to clean. They are usually really accomodating about it. It never hurts to ask. I think if you pay extra they are generally willing to clean anything.

I've also used a cleaning service that was done by 1 individual. While I liked the concept it was really hard because it would take her 6 hours to do the work. It was hard to work around their naps as we were waiting for her to finish up.

HTH.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Washing soda...it is an ingredient in some of the cleaner I want to make but I don't know where to find it. Checked my natural food co-op and Whole Foods (and Target) with no luck. Any guideance on if it is with laundry stuff or with other cleaning stuff? Thanks! Sorry to interrupt. I just thought someone reading this thread might know. :)

Also, when you mix up your Dr. Bronners do you put it in a spray bottle? I bought some to use when I run out of my Seventh Generation all purpose cleaner and it sawned on me that I may need to buy something to use the DB.

Beth

tarynsmum
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Washing soda... does that mean baking soda? That's the only thing I can think of (I've used it in washing before, now I'm really into vinegar instead)

spanannie
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Whatever you do, don't sign a contract!

I made this mistake once--was not satisfied with the work--and had to pay a lot to get out of it.

I've had several independent cleaners--some were horrible, some were OK. I had a good one for a long time, and she became lazy as time passed. I have a husband/wife couple now (for about 2.5 years) and they are excellent, and clean just as well/thorough today as they did when they started.

They use the products I buy and do things the way I've instructed them. I pay the same amount every week, and will pay a little extra if I ask them to do something out of the norm. I tip very well for Christmas.

MarisaSF
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I've never bought or used washing soda, but I found this online for you:
"Washing soda--sodium carbonate--is in the same family as baking soda. It has just been processed differently. It is much more caustic/alkaline, with a pH of 11, and while it doesn't give off harmful fumes, you do need to wear gloves. It is found in the laundry section of most supermarkets. Arm & Hammer is one brand; Shop and Save has a generic house brand." from http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/440.

I have used Baking Soda and Borax. I'm not a fan of Borax because you need to use gloves. Sounds like washing soda is similar to Borax, which you can find in supermarkets or Target near the laundry detergent. I may have seen washing soda in the same places.

I don't use Dr. B's in a spray bottle myself (except as hand soap). I mix Dr. B's with baking soda, vinegar and water as a tub scrub. My all-purpose cleaners are 1)flat club soda in a spray bottle, and 2)vinegar, water, and tea tree oil in a spray bottle.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I substitued baking soda and I think I'll stick with it after reading that! I don't want any cleaners with warnings like that (wear gloves...). And, drats, I also picked up some Borax when I bought the Dr. B's. I'll stick with it for laundry I guess.

Thank you!

Beth

newnana
01-22-2007, 09:11 AM
yep, in St. Louis there is a company called Scrubby Dutch just because of that. The German neighborhood here was known for the women out scrubbing their sidewalks and stones for their front porches all the time so they would gleam. We're of German lineage to, I grew up with it.

Oh yeah, and I read an article this weekend that highly recommends that no matter who you go through you should ask to provide your own cleaning materials- cleaners you prefer, mops, brooms, rags,etc. It said that dirt from other peoples homes could be brought into your otherwise and you don't want that. Living with 2 asthmatics, I know that we can't have animal hair in our house and this made a lot of sense to me. Plus, if I'm paying someone individually, I would hate for the cost of their supplies to have to come out of what I'm paying them when it's something I like to have on hand anyway and they might not use it.

Michelle

jgriffin
01-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Congrats!

We've only had one cleaning lady and she's independent. My FIL has a service, and one of his complaints is that it's not always the same people who come each time, so there's not as much consistancy (i.e. the house is clean, but things he wants done in a certain way aren't always done that way, or furniture or dishes are moved, etc). There have been a few times when she couldn't make it, but it's less than once a year.

I personally would go with an independent cleaner if I could, partly for consistancy, and partly because then I know the money I am spending goes directly to her. You can get good recommendations for a service, but that doesn't mean every individual working for them has the same high quality, so you might wind up with some duds.

Our cleaner came over to our place for an interview and spent a long time at our house reviewing what we wanted. We knew we wouldn't be there for her first cleaning, so we tried to be specific about what we wanted. I also used to leave copious notes about what I wanted each time (I had a huge running checklist in Excel, and each visit I would figure out what I wanted and print it out.) Now I just let her figure out what needs to be done, unless it's something specific she wouldn't necessarily notice.

We don't tip, although we used to pay for the bridge toll, and we give a week's pay for Christmas.

The only thing our cleaner won't do is windows.

My advice is to have your expectations high but not too high. Our cleaning lady does a good job, but I know that I would probably do a better job in some areas. I used to complain about it to DH, but then realized that while I *could* do a better job, she was allowing me not to have to do it at all. And if I was given the same amount of time to clean the same place, I wouldn't do as good a job overall.

GL and enjoy!!!

Jen

hardysmom
01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
In my area (Tulsa), services like Merry Maids charge a lot more than independent people and do less work. A few year's ago, before the kids, I had them do an estimate and was shocked by what they wouldn't do for the money, like dust a cabinet that had some china on it. The typical service was very surface, they wouldn't touch anything of any value, and the crew would change frequently (they have high turn-over).

I believe they were going to charge me $90 for a bi-weekly cleaning of my 1600 square foot house. I found an awesome independent person who charged $50 per week.

Now I am in a bigger house and that same person charges $60. She'll watch my kids if I have to run an errand and is really a part of the family. If you are patient, there are a lot of people out there who will be good. They are hard to find-- my mother always said never to give out the numbers of your best babysitter or housekeeper...

I think the best options for CLEANING are the independent, owner/cleaner team services who have 2-3 people come out. They are fast... Idependent individuals are nice because they are the most flexible and will usually do whatever you want (fold laundry, clean the fridge) as long as it is within the time they stay.

stephanie

maestramommy
01-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the tips and feedback. I asked around my moms group and a few of them had tried Merry Maids, with terrible luck. It seems that going with an independent cleaner is the way to go, at least around here. Hopefully I can find a good one!

niccig
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Ask around and see if anyone likes their cleaner. One friend admits she is anal about the cleaning and she went through a few cleaners in less than a year. She then had the same lady for years, and that was enough recommendation for me. Maybe someone you know or in a class could suggest someone.

Nicci

maestramommy
01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Actually I already have one phone number, and hopefully 2 more coming up!

overcome
01-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks to OP for asking this question...I'm in the same boat (looking for someone to clean my house!).

Thanks to all who responded. Great info! Very helpful...

elephantmeg
01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I found it with laundry detergent at Krogers

KrisM
01-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I got quotes from 2 independents and 1 service. I am going with the independent and her first time is tomorrow. A friend hired her as well and started yesterday and was pleased. The friend has had a few and is looking for someone better, so I'm hopeful.

My only worry, is that they smoke. although they only smoke outside, it worries me a bit.

Sillygirl
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
My cleaning lady smokes, too. I'm super-sensitive to smoke smells, so of course I notice it when I see her, but I've never been troubled at all by any smoke smell in our home.