PDA

View Full Version : when to see an allergist?

megs4413
01-21-2007, 04:36 PM
the allergy thread has me thinking about DD's food allergies. we have a couple self diagnosed issues from when DD first started having solids (the single ingredient baby food). she broke out into a rash with carrots, sweet potatoes, and lemons. we avoided citrus after the lemons. she was not allergic to squash. she is lactose intolerant to some degree (not sure how bad the intolerance is since we avoid it). i haven't talked to the ped about it since the one year checkup. i'm not sure when i'm supposed to let her have any of these things again? should we see an allergist because of this history? when do we do that? DD wanted some carrots that were in my fried rice yesterday, but i didn't let her have them and it made me think...hmm i wonder if she's really allergic to these or not? when will i know that? i know i can talk to me pedi about this at our 2 year checkup but i'm just starting to wonder....

Dh has a nut allergy (not severe and only to pistachios?) so we've held off on nuts completely....we introduce at 3? is that right?

with our family history of food sensitivities/allergies i just feel like i should be taking things more seriously. any advice?

writermama
01-21-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm sure you'll get some good BTDT responses from allergy moms, so disregard anything I say if it contradicts that.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and get a referral to a ped allergist. Depending on where you live, it might take a while to get in, so you might as well get in line now. I'd be mildly concerned that she has reacted to so many different things already, and, aside from citrus, these aren't "the usual suspects" in the allergy world. It could be that she is allergic to carrots (I've never heard of it, but literally anything is possible) or it could be that she is highly allergic to a trace ingredient - something else processed in the baby food facility.

The fact that your DH has a nut allergy, even a mild one, is an indication that your DD may be more likely to have food allergy issues. I would wait until 3 to think about nuts, and probably have her tested first and/or do the introduction in an allergists office.

(I have a potentially serious allergy to bee stings and considered my DD at risk for food allergies because she inherited "allergic genes" from me. We didn't do any nuts until 2 and a half, and then, after rather silly pressure from my DH, we had her tested at 2 and a half although I had wanted to wait until she was 3. Luckily, she doesn't have any food allergies - we tested for peanuts and "the usual suspects" including shellfish and tree nuts.)

Here's hoping that your DD isn't allergic and simply had a one time fluke reaction.

ilovetivo
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry, just saw this post.

Good info from Karen.

For me, i'd take it more seriously, just to be safe. It may be your mom's instinct clicking in. If you're wondering/worried, then it may be for a reason.

What baby food did you use? Earth's Best (and all Hain products) are notorious for cross contamination issues. DD reacted to them w/ facial rash/eczema. Many, many parents on kidswithfoodallergies.org (KWFA) have had issues w/ Earth Best and a lot of Hain products (they own a ton of companies too).

So, the issues may not be the food you were thinking it was from. Some foods also, can just be an oral allergy type thing. Not really and allergy but make the mouth/fash rash up. I dont' know all the specifics w/ oral allergy. My dd get red marks on her face with spinach, which clears up abt 20 min after eating. She's not allergic to it. Tomatoes or acidy foods can do it for people too.

What's her lactose intollerance symptoms? Some can be mistanke for LI, but really is an allergy. Blood in poop, diarrhea, more than a little mucus in the poop etc are all allergy flags.

I'd see an allergist just to be sure. It couldn't hurt...well not counting if dd hates dr's. I'd definitely go with ones that take all things into account (blood/rast tests, skin/scratch tests and history (family and dd). Also one that listens to you and works with you. I left a bad allergist that wouldn't do the above. I felt like he thought he was god and i was an idiot for talking or even bringing her in. A good allergist should also give you an epi rx (if allergic) and an food allergy action plan for reactions. My 1st one didn't do those either.

I have heard of carrot allergies. I've heard of sooooo many odd foods people are allergic to on my kwfa boards.

Ped's might say to wait a few months and retest at home. Eating 2x a day for 3-4 days. Not starting another food test until all other symptoms have passed (if any). For major allergens (dairy, wheat, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, sesame, suphites) i wouldn't test at home, but see the allergist.

DH - he can get retested and have an in office food challenge. They're finding 15% outgrow nut/peanut allergies.

Hope that helps! Ask more if you want.
Also go to www.kidswithfoodallergies.org and go to their community/message boards. they can totally help w/ btdt info